    and am fairly sure I have seen RAID setups where those were all
    connected to synchronise the drives. This would have been 15 or so
    years ago though.

    Mike Tomlinson, Jun 25, 2010

  2. The answer to that is to lay in spare parts at the same time as the
    order for the RAID unit. Yes, it increases the initial cost, but at
    least you know you have the spares available in five years' time.

    Mike Tomlinson, Jun 25, 2010

  3. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    The best RAID controllers build that in - they have one or two spare
    drives configured in, that don't initially store any data, but can be
    swapped in when needed.

    Roland Perry, Jun 25, 2010
  4. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    Well, I've *seen* some in the Science Museum.

    Huge, Jun 25, 2010
  5. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    I'm not sure how it reads (to you), but I shan't be throwing out my Mum
    if that's how it comes over.

    Nor indeed, my precious collection of techno-junk. I expect somone, somewhere
    will want it. As I said, the PDP11 and other assorted computing relics
    already went to Bletchley Park.

    Huge, Jun 25, 2010
  6. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    <Predictable>

    No it isn't!

    </>

    Huge, Jun 25, 2010
  7. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    It appears that ICLs weird storage topology terminology was unknown
    to me. Not surprising. I was a MUMPS programmer roped in to help rewrite
    ATV's payroll system in RPG2 (spit) and port it from a 1904S (I think) to
    a 2903. That was my only exposure to ICL kit - I left shortly afterwards
    to return to my beloved PDP11s and trying to weigh flying crisps.

    Huge, Jun 25, 2010
  8. tony sayer

    Tim Streater Guest

    Mmmm - can't use mercury in mercury delay-lines these days, errrr, WTF ??

    Tim Streater, Jun 25, 2010

  9. Before fusible link proms, you used diodes, switches or links on the boards.

    Core stores are early forms of disk..really.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jun 25, 2010
  10. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    Connected via an SFC - a Sectored File Controller, I believe. I have
    source code for driving it right here.....!

    We used it as a 'fast' paging area, but it wasn't that marvellous, so I
    think we gave up in the end, faster to use the ordinary disk as pages
    often spilled from it to disk anyway. This was on a homebrew operating
    system for the 2900.

    Bob Eager, Jun 25, 2010
  11. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    Yes, that was the detuned 4130. Main differences were a lot of
    instructions implemented by software extracodes, and no multiprogramming
    support.

    Bob Eager, Jun 25, 2010
  12. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    I think that's right, though....ICL did keep a lot of old terminology
    around. As well as inventing new stuff - like the CPU becoming an OCP
    (Order Code Processor)

    [note to self...must get on with the mostly-completed 2900 simulator]

    Bob Eager, Jun 25, 2010
  13. tony sayer

    Tim Streater Guest

    Could you define what's meant by "multiprogramming support" in this
    context?

    Ta,

    Tim Streater, Jun 25, 2010
  14. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    Two operating modes - user and executive. Or did I get it wrong and the
    4120 had that too? Enter user mode with the EXIT instruction, and system
    call back with the EXEN instruction...

    Bob Eager, Jun 25, 2010
  15. tony sayer

    Phil W Lee Guest

    It wasn't just the names being different at ICL though, they did some
    strange stuff all of their own.
    Did anyone else ever use anything like oslan?

    Phil W Lee, Jun 25, 2010
  16. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    I've got one in my attic somewhere.

    Roland Perry, Jun 25, 2010
  17. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    No, the one I have is acoustic.

    Roland Perry, Jun 25, 2010
  18. tony sayer

    Tim Ward Guest

    I heard that management insisted on the General Origin of Data (the
    operating system's initial global pointer) being renamed.

    Tim Ward, Jun 25, 2010
  19. tony sayer

    Phil W Lee Guest

    When I last did that, the RAIDs were in Tulsa and Ely, so not too much
    chance of them both being wiped out by the same disaster.
    Well no, I added a 3rd site at Cambridge, although it's a bit close to
    Ely for real comfort, we had another office there, so it was
    convenient.
    And the backup tapes were in Hertfordshire anyway.
    We had 3 offices, so mirroring the data across all of them made sense
    anyway.

    Phil W Lee, Jun 25, 2010
  20. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    The RAID controller in one of my servers does exactly that, it imports
    the drive characteristics (and hence the total storage characteristic)
    from whatever is plugged in. But I agree it may have to be the same
    make, but as that's Compaq it's not a huge issue.

    Roland Perry, Jun 25, 2010