    (I'm sure that someone somewhere did make this, I just doubt that
    yours used lacing to program it rather than matrix-selected write
    pulses.)

    Andy Dingley, Jun 25, 2010

  2. tony sayer

    Andy Dingley Guest

    I had a rack server a month or two back that was sensitive to whether
    it was the upper or lower slot in the rack.

    As always, it turned out to be thermal. Some muppet had lost an
    internal air deflector from the other machine, so it was running with
    a hot spot on the top of its case. Place that at the top and it was
    OK. Place that underneath and the drives in the server above got
    cooked.

    Andy Dingley, Jun 25, 2010

  3. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    Ahh, KOS. Now, those were the days. Or perhaps not.

    (I thought it was an NCR/Elliott 4130? Or were they subsumed into ICL?)

    Huge, Jun 25, 2010
  4. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    I should have included a smiley, I guess.
    You sure it was a "platter"? Only, when I worked for ITT in around 1975/6
    (on what became the Unimat 4080 telephone switch), the message switches
    that we shared our computer room with definitely had drums that were
    drum shaped. This kind of thing;

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_memory
    I started with FORTRAN on cards in ~1970.
    I have 8K of real core memory framed and hanging in the hall.

    Huge, Jun 25, 2010
  5. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    Me too. That's why I have some. At least, I think I do. I wonder where
    that went? Possibly to Bletchley Park along with all my other old
    computer stuff.

    Having recently moved my aged mother from a 3 bed house to a 1 bed flat, I
    am determined to throw all the junk out.

    Huge, Jun 25, 2010
  6. tony sayer

    Man at B&Q Guest

    Sounds like core rope memory to me. The PROM content was defined by
    the lacing pattern. The bit density was much greater than read/write
    core.

    MBQ

    Man at B&Q, Jun 25, 2010
  7. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    They were subsumed into ICL. All the manuals I bought had ICL on them.

    (I bought them to work out how the multiprogramming hardware worked, so I
    could (successfully) subvert it)

    Bob Eager, Jun 25, 2010
  8. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    I'm sure, anyway. I saw them Bloody great vertically mounted platters,
    big strip of heads. Functionally a drum.

    Bob Eager, Jun 25, 2010
  9. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    I never said otherwise (I said "like the real drums before it"). They
    were however formatted with a larger number of sectors on the outer
    tracks to make best use of packing density.

    Bob Eager, Jun 25, 2010
  10. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    Ah, thank you.

    Huge, Jun 25, 2010
  11. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    W-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-llll. It's a head-per-track disk. But I suppose
    you could argue it's functionally the same as a drum.

    Huge, Jun 25, 2010
  12. There's no such thing with modern drives. All you can do is zero it
    (write zeros to every sector).

    Mike Tomlinson, Jun 25, 2010
  13. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    That's no way to speak about your mother!

    Roland Perry, Jun 25, 2010
  14. I did a similar thing 3 years ago. Just coming to the last of the piles
    of boxes in the back bedroom.

    Mike Tomlinson, Jun 25, 2010
  15. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    I started on an ICL 4120 which was an Elliott design, but inside ICL by
    late 60's.

    Roland Perry, Jun 25, 2010
  16. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    Sometimes it's really hard for people on usenet to accept that a posting
    is in agreement with theirs.

    Roland Perry, Jun 25, 2010
  17. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    Absolutely sure. It was in ICL's in-house computer room in Bracknell,
    and I was one of those engineers allowed to wander around and look at
    anything I wanted to. In the hope that one day, when it broke, I could
    try to fix it. I say "day", more like "half an hour".

    Roland Perry, Jun 25, 2010
  18. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    No-one is denying that. But it looks like a platter (with a lot of fixed
    heads), not a drum.

    If you aren't careful, I'll start talking about delay-line memory ;-)

    Roland Perry, Jun 25, 2010
  19. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message