Nagered hard drive;'(..

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by tony sayer, Jun 22, 2010.

  1. Check for loose/bad connectors and bad solder joints.

    Try holding the drive (with power applied) and giving it a quick 'flick'
    with the hand to overcome adhesion of heads to platters.

    Try swapping boards with an identical-model drive.

    Check the power connectors* in the PC. It's possible that the drive logic
    is powering up (hence the model details are displayed by the PC on boot)
    but there's no +12V available to the drive to run the spindle motor. I've
    seen it happen.

    * actually, check the PSU. I suspect that some systems might run with no
    +12V at all, and a lot of PC PSUs don't do much (if any) checking of
    their 12V line. If the OP doesn't have a multimeter, any old junk hard
    disk could do...
    Yes, been there, done that. I usually use a pan of icy water (and
    suitable non-conductive layer) on top of the drive rather than the
    'freezer trick', but it's got me many a drive running again long enough
    to get the data off.

    cheers

    Jules

    Jules Richardson, Jun 23, 2010

  2. tony sayer

    sandy58 Guest

    see e-mail, tony.

    sandy58, Jun 23, 2010

  3. tony sayer

    D.M.Chapman Guest

    Not strictly true - high end stuff follows this pattern.

    I know HDS use multiple manufacturers (despite making their own drives they
    still use their competitors drives) albeit at a rather different level to
    the RAID that most people here are talking about.

    They use a mix of manufacturers to help avoid firmware issues and higher
    failure rates on certain batches (think deathstars...).

    Of course, the drives all have HDS firmware etc on them so it's a bit
    different :)

    Darren

    D.M.Chapman, Jun 23, 2010
  4. tony sayer

    Andy Dingley Guest

    "All drives must be equal" sounds like a great plan until it's a year
    or two after you built the squillion dollar Unfeasible Data Centre,
    better drives are now cheaper and you'd like to start upgrading to use
    them.

    ....but you can't because they won't integrate well, and you can't
    (even if you could afford to) down the whole lot at once to swap all
    of them, becasue of course it's an "always on" sort of thing as it's
    biggest selling point.

    A little later, and you're reduced to skip-diving to get the legacy
    parts for it, whilst storage of similar size and performance is
    sellign for tuppence ha'penny down the road at PC World.

    Andy Dingley, Jun 23, 2010
  5. tony sayer

    Andy Dingley Guest

    I think this is the point when you call me an effing plantpot.

    Andy Dingley, Jun 23, 2010
  6. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Done, this was a new unit 3 months ago!..
    Done sounds if its making the almost right noises..
    Well haven't got that far as yet ...
    Checked all at 12.05 volts
    How would that boot up then, read off the drive etc?..
    Bin there dun that no difference..

    A mate of mine is having a look tomorrow...

    tony sayer, Jun 23, 2010
  7. tony sayer

    Paul Bird Guest

    .. . . and the rot can spread remarkably quickly. Hours in my experience.

    PB

    Paul Bird, Jun 23, 2010
  8. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Well this one was doing odd things for about a day and then went down
    very quickly, mainly odd screen freeze's...

    tony sayer, Jun 24, 2010
  9. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    You said:

    "Ah well that was probably in the days of proper RAIDs.
    The ones where it was done bitwise across the disks and all the spindles
    and heads were synchronised. They were expensive."

    We repeat: it wasn't RAID. It wasn't Inexpensive.

    Bob Eager, Jun 24, 2010
  10. Depends on the age of the drive, I've found. In the context of the OP,
    correct - but it's not true of all drives, with older (ancient in
    computing terms) often surviving for years with a few duff blocks.

    (and remember the days when you had to reformat the drive if you changed
    its orientation, as otherwise it'd start spewing out errors all over the
    place? :)

    cheers

    Jules

    Jules Richardson, Jun 24, 2010
  11. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    John, you're arguing with 'dennis the erroneous'. Why?

    Huge, Jun 24, 2010
  12. tony sayer

    Paul Bird Guest

    Jon Green wrote:
    You would *not* have wanted to be in charge of the radio station on a
    cruise ship where one afternoon the ships comms started playing up, with
    no new drives onboard, and I spent the evening starting to get a copy of
    the data off onto another machine, begged the C/eng to get me a new
    drive pronto (we were alongside) which he did thank heavens, got some
    sleep, looked at it in the morning only to find it was worse, and got
    enough off it restart the system when the new drive came onboard. My
    experience is the quality of the equipment onboard is in inverse
    proportion to the amount of money the pax are paying.

    That's why I said when a drive starts to go, it can go in hours. Which
    is not funny when it's not part of a RAID setup.

    PB

    Paul Bird, Jun 24, 2010
  13. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <hvvpji$gsj$-september.org>, at 14:20:35 on
    No, I don't remember that, and I go back all the way to 1980 and drives
    that were 10MB per platter.

    Roland Perry, Jun 24, 2010
  14. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    Comes of being so old, I'm afraid.

    Huge, Jun 24, 2010
  15. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    Pah. Newbie.
    Blimey. Huge capacity. There's a platter from a Xerox system hanging
    on my study wall. IIRC, the drive was 20Mb and had 5 platters. I wish
    I could remember what the capacity of the DEDS drive on the ICL 1900
    series I learned RPG2 (spit) on was. About 5 Mb (?), with two platters
    that had to be exchanged seperately, but in pairs, on a horizontal spindle
    inside a *huge* grey crackle-finish enclosure.

    Now I have 3.5 Tb of disk in mys study ...

    Huge, Jun 24, 2010
  16. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    Hell, no.

    I still have some 5 track paper tape ...

    Huge, Jun 24, 2010
  17. tony sayer

    Tim Streater Guest

    Ah, now that's going back a bit. I haven't seen that since I worked on
    an Elliott 803.

    Tim Streater, Jun 24, 2010
  18. I have an 8-track player.

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 24, 2010
  19. tony sayer

    Tim Ward Guest

    World's best tape readers ... 1,000 cps and could stop between two
    characters, quite often without even tearing the tape.

    Tim Ward, Jun 24, 2010
  20. Ah, the Good Old Days.

    My first machine had a 350M HDD, and I paid over two thousand dollars (USD)
    for it. I bought the upgrade graphics/game card that allowed a joystick so I
    could play Flight Simulator. It was a bit jerky as the scenery files
    changed.

    I recently bought a 500G external HDD for $60. I have several Thumb
    Drives -- flash drives in some circles -- with more capacity than my first
    computer. I bought a 128M flash drive when they first came out for something
    like $15, now they give away drives with 8 times that capacity for free to
    the first 50 shoppers on Saturday.

    It sucks to be a trail blazer. I buy stuff that leads the industry, and it's
    obsolete by the end of the month. I bought a flat screen TV a year ago, and
    when the store was out of stock on my TV, the next shipment was better and
    cheaper and mine was discontinued.

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 24, 2010