    Also anyone any suggestion as to a reliable make of drive as it seems to
    me there're all getting rather bad!..

    TIA...

    tony sayer, Jun 22, 2010

  2. I bought a device called EZ-CONNECT. Basically, it's an interface converter
    that takes an internal drive -- IDE 2.5", IDE 3.5", and SATA -- and turns it
    into a USB-based external drive.

    You need to have a bootable drive, but once you get that under control, the
    old drive can be read (most of the time) as a USB device. You can copy your
    files onto the new drive. You can't run applications from the old drive
    anymore, but once you get the information you want off of it, you can
    reformat it and install it as a Drive D, or whatever.

    Since you can get make and model from it, my guess is that you've lost the
    Boot Sector. If I'm right, then the converter device should be able to read
    it.

    I bought my EZConnect for $25-ish from Fry's Electronics. I'd guess that
    Best Buy would carry a competitive product, and I've seen my converter on
    eBay for less than I paid for mine.

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 22, 2010

  3. tony sayer

    Duncan Wood Guest

    Connect it with an external connecter & try keeping it cold, I've salvaged
    data from HDs before now by putting them in the freezer\ in a plastic bag
    & then connecting them up & retreiving the data from below a bag of frozen
    peas, but it all depends on why it's died.

    Duncan Wood, Jun 22, 2010
  4. tony sayer

    Toby Guest

    Same here, expect I used a laptop and kept the hard disk IN the freezer when
    it was running!

    Still had to stop and wait a bit for it to cool a few times more before
    frantically transferring another batch of data in order of importance!

    Toby...

    Toby, Jun 22, 2010
  5. tony sayer

    Matty F Guest

    I suspect that using the drive in a different orientation (i.e. upside
    down or on its edge) may help it work. It took us about four freezes
    to get all the data, since we didn't have long enough cables. After a
    few minutes of running the drive heats up again.

    Matty F, Jun 22, 2010
  6. tony sayer

    Paul Bird Guest

    Seagate Barracudas have done me well for the last five or six years but
    as usual YMMV. And the Seagate Momentus, the 2.5" version seems to
    withstand knocks and general abuse having been used as a USB portable in
    daily use.

    PB

    Paul Bird, Jun 22, 2010
  7. tony sayer

    John Murphy Guest

    See freeware, PC World:

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collection/collid,1295-order,1-c,downloads/files.html

    PC world is very picky! (You put the software on the master, of
    course!)

    1st. You could now run the dud as a slave (2nd drive, say) to start
    with and barring severe mech. failure, you should see things.
    2nd. You can also buy a cradle and plug the dud into it, then plug the
    cradle (normally plug and play) into a USB port on another computer,
    search for the port, then click. Some, I think, come with software CD
    or DVD, maybe including recovery tools. Cradle is a good investment,
    too, because you can use old HDs as mass storage devices!
    3rd. If all else fails, take it to the local Modern Geek shop or a uni
    comp. club. Geeks have no respect for recalcitrant HDs and consider it
    a personal affront if they fail to yield up the data! Even if a demon
    is present, they'd probably cast a spell on it telling it to be on its
    way. The Geeks will probably want a little bit of money - but nothing
    swingeing.

    If you are Faustian, the demon will doubtless want your soul, but
    otherwise settle for that of a caterpillar, but if the caterpillar
    won't give it a contract, shurg its shoulders, saying, 'Shucks, guys,
    nothin' for me - as usual!'

    John Murphy, Jun 22, 2010
  8. tony sayer

    NT Guest

    Nearly all new drives have MTTF specs, those are the key. There have
    been occasional subpar models, but that's true of any brand.

    NT

    NT, Jun 23, 2010
  9. tony sayer

    JD Guest

    There are a few good toos for data recovery:

    Parted Magic http://partedmagic.com which is free and has varius hard
    drive tools on it, the one you will want is TestDisk (system tools >
    testdisk)

    UBCD (Ultimate boot CD) http://www.ultimatebootcd.com Also free pretty
    much the same as Parted magic with a few more tools on it again TestDisk
    is the tool you want (HDD > TestDisk)

    GatDataBack FAT/NTFS http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm
    NOT free $70-$80 but it is very good if the drive still physically works
    then this will more than likely get your stuff back

    Spinrite http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm NOT FREE $89, this is a hard
    drive recovery and maintenance program a lot of people swear by it,
    however I find it takes far to long.

    if your drive still works, and by works I mean it physically spins and
    is recognised by the computer then try one of those tools if its
    something simple like a boot sector problem or a corrupt system file as
    a lot of the other posters suggested by removing the drive and putting
    it on a working PC you should be able to copy the files off.
    I actually like WD drives I have 6 of them sitting on my desk right now,
    Maxitors seem to fail for me, if you want to wade through this site
    www.storagereview.com it contains a lot of information on hard drives
    and reliability.

    Oh I should add if the data is important to you it is wise to make a
    clone/img of the disk and work on the image, or find your local computer
    guy.

    JD

    JD, Jun 23, 2010

  10. Just checking - can you boot the PC from another drive or for example a
    Linux CD?
    If so, can you still not see the contents of the drive?

    Cheers

    Dave R

    David WE Roberts, Jun 23, 2010
  11. Citation?

    The RIAD arrays I have worked with in the past have all had identical
    drives.
    This makes spare part holdings much more simple, apart from anything else.
    Any drive fails and you immediately replace it with another one of the same
    specification.

    Why would you want different specification drives?

    The original point of RAID was to overcome the problems of large amounts of
    storage where the MTBF of the discs almost guaranteed data loss over time.

    Redundant Array of Inexpensive Discs was impressive in a production
    environment, apart from the fact that the discs were anything but
    inexpensive.

    Cheers

    Dave R

    David WE Roberts, Jun 23, 2010
  12. tony sayer

    Man at B&Q Guest

    Where did you pick up that little nugget?

    MBQ

    Man at B&Q, Jun 23, 2010
  13. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Had 2 Seagate Barracuda's go down in the lest year or so . Have some
    older Seagate drives and they just keep on spinnin;!...

    tony sayer, Jun 23, 2010
  14. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Seems a mate of mine is quite good at this sot of thing;) Seems we can
    read data off it 'tho there are a lot of errors reported but we'll see
    where that goes..

    tony sayer, Jun 23, 2010
  15. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    It won't actually write a "low level" format pattern to the drive, but
    will serve to mark some sectors as "bad". However, it won't stop the rot
    spreading.

    Roland Perry, Jun 23, 2010
  16. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    Nonsense. You *can* populate some controllers like that, but it's not
    particularly useful unless you are extremely under-funded [1].

    [1] I have one such setup, because I couldn't cheaply/easily source an
    identical drive after one of the originals failed.

    Roland Perry, Jun 23, 2010
  17. tony sayer

    Nutkey Guest

    I had complete success on a hard drive with a burned out (literally)
    controller board by simply purchasing an *identical* model and
    swapping the new controller in.

    Which was lucky. It had 4 years of photos on, and I burned it out in
    the process of backing it up (dodgy psu on an external drive casing).

    Nutkey, Jun 23, 2010
  18. tony sayer

    Andy Dingley Guest

    RAID has _never_ synchronised heads or spindles. The whole point of
    RAID is that it's based on inexpensive commodity disk drives, using
    inexpensive commodity interfaces. They just store blocks, the RAID
    controller doesn't see this in terms of heads or tracks.

    RAID shouldn't be expensive (that's rather the point). Many SAN
    solutions ended up that way, but that has more to do with idiocy above
    the level of RAID.

    Andy Dingley, Jun 23, 2010
  19. yeah. I've swappped electronics in the same circumstances.

    you only do that once..next time, the backup works.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jun 23, 2010
  20. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    The it wouldn't have been called RAID, would it? Disk array, yes,
    RAID...I think not.

    Bob Eager, Jun 23, 2010