    A100. I know the A100 isn't really going to give Canon or Nikon any
    competition, but it was funny seeing this full page add.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Dec 27, 2006

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Cynicor Guest

    Given Sony's product history, each future version of the Sony DSLR line
    will have a slightly different lens mount, so you'll have to buy them
    all new each time. I'm actually surprised they didn't come out with
    MemoryStick2006 for this camera.

    Cynicor, Dec 27, 2006

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Salty Guest

    The New York Times made no such claim.

    A New York Times advertiser ran an ad, an entirely different kettle of
    piscatory success.

    Regards

    Salty

    Salty, Dec 27, 2006
  4. Ignore RichA and his alter-ego Rita. It's the right thing to do for your
    mental health.

    Charles Schuler, Dec 27, 2006
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Scott W Guest

    I took the title to be somewhat of a parody on the typical Rich posts.

    Scott

    Scott W, Dec 27, 2006
  6. Hhmm. Oh, did you ever get past those WB issues you were struggling with
    this morning?

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Dec 27, 2006
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Roy G Guest

    You really have to learn that you can NOT believe everything, ( some would
    say anything), you read in the newspapers.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Dec 28, 2006
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Mardon Guest

    What turned me off from Sony products was the Sony DMR Rootkit fiasco. I
    still find it hard to believe that a company as largfe as they are would
    surreptitiously install malware on their customers' computers. Anyway,
    that was the end of Sony products for me. I guess they've learned their
    lesson from the public backlash and lawsuits, so they probably don't
    install covert programs with their camera software; at least I hope they
    don't. The Sony Rootkit is an 'old' story by now but if you haven't heard
    of it before, you can read this:
    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/11/sonys_drm_rootk.html

    Mardon, Dec 28, 2006
  9. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Bill K Guest

    Rita dear, that was a Sony advertisement--not an NY Times editorial
    piece. Surely you aren't that gullible but in case you are I would be
    delighted to take your Nikon "crap" off your hands so you can invest in
    Sony gear.

    Bill K, Dec 28, 2006
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Cynicor Guest

    Believe it or not, I know the guy who discovered the rootkit, and I just
    interviewed him for my podcast last week.

    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...3c-48da-9b5f-a32bbebc78c5/200611TNPODCAST.mp3

    Or if that link sucks, use http://tinyurl.com/yzh2n7.

    Cynicor, Dec 28, 2006
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Skip Guest

    Actually saw the same Sony ad. It sorta pushes reality, a little.

    Skip, Dec 28, 2006
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Salty Guest

    No I am afraid not. Those WB issues seem to be beyond my meagre
    capabilities. Could you please assist, I mean with all you skill with
    jpeg point and shoot and disdain for those who use DSLRs and shoot raw,
    you *must* be a formidable expert.

    I notice that all the regulars on the photo related newsgroups tremble
    in fear when you arrive. (Or is that shake with suppressed laughter ???
    I always confuse the two.)

    BTW Rita, as you seem to possess the power to read my mind and answer
    questions that I didn't pose, could you tell me where I left my car
    keys? Can't find the damned things. Surely that wouldn't pose a problem
    as you seem sure that you know things about me that I don't know myself.

    Thank Rita

    Salty

    Salty, Dec 28, 2006
  13. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Well, it is advertising, after all.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 28, 2006
  14. You're not kidding! What a waste of ink, though funny. I'm sure the
    marketing department heads and Canon and Nikon pinned this ad to their wall
    for a daily laugh.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Dec 28, 2006
  15. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Mardon Guest

    Mardon, Dec 28, 2006
  16. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Maybe you need one of those gadgets that you can attach to your keys
    that you whistle at it, and it whistles back... Of course I always
    wondered how one knows where to start whistling....

    Ron Hunter, Dec 28, 2006
  17. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Alongside of a sales chart, I would expect.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 28, 2006
  18. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    aniramca Guest

    Well, it would appear that mimicking and becoming one of the world's
    media empires (in which they are distorting the views of the world to
    their own advantage - just watch your newspapers, TV and cable news),
    Sony wants to reflex their muscle. I wish that these Japanese companies
    stay in Japan, and doing great on their business, and with their own
    style. The western involvement and the global investments seem to
    corrupt their mind. Japanese style: strong, silent type. Western style:
    misinformation (don't want to use the "l" word) and greeds.

    aniramca, Dec 28, 2006
  19. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    rboy505 Guest

    Being a NYCer I saw it too. Whatever good products Sony has put out
    recently (and I avoid them due to my own prejudices and experiences),
    are far overshadowed by kind of fantasy writing. What I don't get is
    why they'd risk alienating experienced users who know better, but I
    suppose that only means they've ceded the upper tier sales to Canon and
    Nikon.

    Not that I've spent THAT much time thinking about it : )

    rboy505, Dec 28, 2006
  20. False advertising, the discontinued Konica-Minolta 7D and 5D also has
    the same IS/VR in the body. The Pentax K100D and K10D also have IS/VR in
    their bodies, and will work with more lenses, including M42 mounts.

    Not Disclosed, Dec 29, 2006