Mystery Problem with Compaq Presario 1060 Laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Brad, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Hi,

    Mystery problem with Compaq Presario 1060 Laptop.

    Note: I service TVs, etc., rarely service a computer.

    PROBLEM (Hard Disk Drive is fine):

    On the same day (no storm and it wasn't dropped) this laptop
    started to have read/write problems with the floppy disk drive
    (several disks tried). Also, the CD rom drive no longer could read home
    "burned" CDs, which it never had trouble reading before. However,
    the CD rom drive has no trouble reading commercial CDs ("stronger
    impressions").

    Using a software diagnostic tool on the floppy disk drive, a series of
    tests were performed and the only test that failed (error # 603-08) was
    the Write/Read/Compare test.

    Note: Sometimes a floppy disk can be read in part, then everything
    "freezes" to the point that I have to turn off the computer (Ctrl, Alt, & Del
    doesn't work). There never is a "Abort/Retry...." message as happens when you
    have a faulty disk or no disk in the drive.

    It's as though the read/write heads in the floppy drive and the read
    "head" in the CD rom drive lost "sensitivity" at the same time!!
    What do you think is causing this problem?

    Thanks in advance, Brad

    be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

    Brad, Sep 19, 2006