Mystery "Logging on to network" (dial up) takes long time

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Brad, Sep 27, 2006.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Hi,

    I recently bought a used Toshiba "Satellite" 2105CDS (WIN98se) laptop.
    After I downloaded the drivers for this model from Toshiba's site, I formatted
    the HDD and installed Win98SE (not from a "System Restore" CD).
    I installed the drivers. Everything is fine, but the dial up connection
    (using internal 56K modem). Unlike my other Win98 computers, when I
    "connect" (via "Dialer"), "Connect" and "Confirming password" is normal
    (quick). "Logging on to network" takes a long time before this is finished
    (Dialer window closes and small icon appears in System Tray). I have tried
    several times on different days. My other slower computer, doesn't have this
    problem. Note: Afterwards, I have no trouble browsing and downloading
    (download speed is always fast for dial up).

    As a test, I installed a new PC card modem and it's driver. Using
    that modem, I still have the same problem!

    I called Toshiba tech support and he told me to check settings and compare
    them to the other computer. I already did that. Do you have any idea what
    might be causing this?

    Thanks in advance, Brad

    be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

    Brad, Sep 27, 2006

  2. Brad

    DH Guest

    I may be reaching here but possibly a program is detecting the internet
    connection. Maybe an automatic update, ie. Symantics(Norton), Intuit
    (Quickbooks).....

    Just a stab,

    Dave H.

    DH, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Brad

    Robert Baer Guest

    Maybe the OS was installed incorrectly?

    Robert Baer, Sep 28, 2006
  4. Brad

    Travis Guest

    is that a newer laptop? because I'm trying to install Windows 98 SE on
    my Dell inspiron 1150 and i need to know where you found the drivers.

    Travis, Sep 29, 2006