    ideas how i can get rid of it for good. Can I drag it to a message here and
    have someone look at it or.. is that incredibly stupid as it may be
    invasive? Thanks for putting up with dumb questions guys/gals.

    Josh, Jul 16, 2003

  2. It's not a dumb question. A filename by the name of "~" (Tilde) is
    a backup of the addy book. This is caused by a bug in a MS patch.MS
    has said that they're working on a fix, but I have no idea how long
    it'll be...

    HTH

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Josh

    °Mike° Guest

    <Canned response>

    If you have installed the cumulative update for OE, each time
    a contact is added to your address book, a file named "~" is
    created on your desktop when you exit OE or your address book.
    It is just a COPY of your Windows Address Book (*.wab).

    It is caused by the update for OE Q331923 (now Q330994).
    Microsoft are supposedly working on a fix.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/330994/default.asp
    How to uninstall
    To remove the download, complete the following steps:

    On the Start menu, point to Settings and then click Control
    Panel. (In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control
    Panel.)
    Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    In the list of currently installed programs, select Q330994
    and then click Remove or Add/Remove. If a dialog box appears,
    follow the instructions to remove the program.
    Click Yes or OK to confirm that you want to remove the program.

    °Mike°, Jul 16, 2003
  4. Josh

    Brian H¹© Guest

    I bet Santa comes first :-D