    cards. But maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective. Comments
    please.
    Bill.

    Bill McCarty, Jan 1, 2005

  2. Bill McCarty

    Tom Betz Guest

    Actually, Sun sued MS to force MS to stop distributing that non-
    standard Java engine a couple of years back, so that Sun's Java
    standard could be maintained.

    Installing Sun's Java is the apropriate and standard way to handle
    it.

    --
    George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
    Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

    Tom Betz, Jan 1, 2005

  3. Bill McCarty

    Rob Guest

    Bill,
    In support of what I stated earlier and Tom said above, here's the
    definitive word from that *other* Bill.
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/
    Check it out. May resolve your mystery.
    Rob

    Rob, Jan 1, 2005
  4. Bill McCarty

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Microsoft no longer distributes Java Runtime with their operating
    systems due to the settlement of a lawsuit by Java's owner Sun Microsystems.

    Simple reasons I can think of why Mozilla does not distribute the Sun
    JRE (Java Runtime Environment):

    - It is free for the download by end-users
    - Including the JRE in Mozilla program download files would more than
    double their size

    As for the notion that finding and installing software is too onerous
    for the average user, I don't think that's as widespread an issue as it
    was, say, 3 years ago. I have many friends and family who fall into
    that category and, while they might need to ask me to point them in the
    right direction, they have no problem with this. Average users are
    getting a lot more knowledgeable and adventurous these days.

    Ed Mullen, Jan 1, 2005
  5. Microsoft licensed Java from Sun Microsystems and then developed and
    distributed their own, non-compliant Java virtual machine as part of
    their attempt to subvert the "write once, run anywhere" Java philosophy
    (Java programs written for MS's Java would only work on Windows; those
    built using compliant Java implementations would run on any platform
    supported by a Java virtual machine -- Windows, linux, OS/2, Mac,
    whatever). Sun objected to this and sued Microsoft for violating the
    terms of their license to use Java -- and the courts agreed with Sun.
    Microsoft was forced to pay Sun for damages and remove the MS Java virtual
    machine from future distributions of Windows.

    Sun's official Java implementation is available for free download from
    Sun's web site: http://java.sun.com/

    Pick that up and you should be all set.

    John Thompson, Jan 1, 2005
  6. IIRC, the Netscape-7.x package includes the Java VM, which does make it
    much larger than Mozilla.

    John Thompson, Jan 2, 2005