Mysterious reappearing bbc.co.uk cookie (Firefox 1.5.0.1, WindowsXP Pro)

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Z, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. Z

    Z Guest

    Why is this cookie (see below) reappearing?

    I have Firefox set to Clear All Private Data (History, Saved Form
    Information, Download History, Cookies, Cache, Authenticated Sessions)
    when closing Firefox.

    I start Firefox in Safe Mode, then Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies
    and I see a cookie from site bbc.co.uk (I expect to find *no* cookies):

    Name: BBC-UID
    Content: <deleted for this post>
    Domain: .bbc.co.uk
    Send For: Any type of connection
    Expires: <in exactly one year>

    I can delete this cookie manually, but when I close and reopen Firefox
    in Safe Mode (also in Normal Mode) the cookie is back.

    (The same behavior thing happens in Normal Mode)

    Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other problem?

    Z, Mar 5, 2006

  2. Z

    Nho Whei Guest

    Re: Mysterious reappearing bbc.co.uk cookie (Firefox 1.5.0.1, Windows XP Pro)

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 20:01:38 -0800, Z <> wrote:

    >Why is this cookie (see below) reappearing?
    >

    >I have Firefox set to Clear All Private Data (History, Saved Form
    >Information, Download History, Cookies, Cache, Authenticated Sessions)
    >when closing Firefox.
    >
    >I start Firefox in Safe Mode, then Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies
    >and I see a cookie from site bbc.co.uk (I expect to find *no* cookies):
    >
    > Name: BBC-UID
    > Content: <deleted for this post>
    > Domain: .bbc.co.uk
    >Send For: Any type of connection
    > Expires: <in exactly one year>
    >
    >I can delete this cookie manually, but when I close and reopen Firefox
    >in Safe Mode (also in Normal Mode) the cookie is back.
    >

    >(The same behavior thing happens in Normal Mode)
    >

    >Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other problem?

    Is your home page set to a BBC page?

    Nho Whei, Mar 5, 2006

  3. Z

    Z Guest

    Nho Whei wrote:
    >> Why is this cookie (see below) reappearing?
    >>
    >> I have Firefox set to Clear All Private Data (History, Saved Form
    >> Information, Download History, Cookies, Cache, Authenticated Sessions)
    >> when closing Firefox.
    >>
    >> I start Firefox in Safe Mode, then Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies
    >> and I see a cookie from site bbc.co.uk (I expect to find *no* cookies):
    >>
    >> Name: BBC-UID
    >> Content: <deleted for this post>
    >> Domain: .bbc.co.uk
    >> Send For: Any type of connection
    >> Expires: <in exactly one year>
    >>
    >> I can delete this cookie manually, but when I close and reopen Firefox
    >> in Safe Mode (also in Normal Mode) the cookie is back.
    >>
    >> (The same behavior thing happens in Normal Mode)
    >>
    >> Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other problem?

    > Is your home page set to a BBC page?

    No, it's about:blank.

    Z, Mar 5, 2006
  4. Z

    Charani Guest

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 01:09:32 -0800, Z wrote:

    > Nho Whei wrote:
    >>> Why is this cookie (see below) reappearing?
    >>>
    >>> I have Firefox set to Clear All Private Data (History, Saved Form
    >>> Information, Download History, Cookies, Cache, Authenticated Sessions)
    >>> when closing Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> I start Firefox in Safe Mode, then Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies
    >>> and I see a cookie from site bbc.co.uk (I expect to find *no* cookies):
    >>>
    >>> Name: BBC-UID
    >>> Content: <deleted for this post>
    >>> Domain: .bbc.co.uk
    >>> Send For: Any type of connection
    >>> Expires: <in exactly one year>
    >>>
    >>> I can delete this cookie manually, but when I close and reopen Firefox
    >>> in Safe Mode (also in Normal Mode) the cookie is back.
    >>>
    >>> (The same behavior thing happens in Normal Mode)
    >>>
    >>> Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other problem?

    >> Is your home page set to a BBC page?

    > No, it's about:blank.

    Do you click on any links that are posted up to BBC news pages or to
    their sports or weather pages?

    I go to the BBC news pages several times a day and don't have any
    cookies from them reappearing unbidden. I use Mozilla 1.7.12 and have
    it set for session cookies only. My firewall (ZA Pro) is set not to
    allow persistent cookies.

    Have you tried blocking the cookie from being allowed? Have you
    emptied the temp and temp internet files on XP?

    Charani, Mar 6, 2006
  5. Z

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Re: Mysterious reappearing bbc.co.uk cookie (Firefox 1.5.0.1, WindowsXPPro)

    On 05/03/06 04:01, Z scribbled:
    > Why is this cookie (see below) reappearing?
    >

    > I have Firefox set to Clear All Private Data (History, Saved Form
    > Information, Download History, Cookies, Cache, Authenticated Sessions)
    > when closing Firefox.
    >
    > I start Firefox in Safe Mode, then Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies
    > and I see a cookie from site bbc.co.uk (I expect to find *no* cookies):
    >
    > Name: BBC-UID
    > Content: <deleted for this post>
    > Domain: .bbc.co.uk
    > Send For: Any type of connection
    > Expires: <in exactly one year>
    >
    > I can delete this cookie manually, but when I close and reopen Firefox
    > in Safe Mode (also in Normal Mode) the cookie is back.
    >

    > (The same behavior thing happens in Normal Mode)
    >

    > Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other
    > problem?

    If you have the Live Bookmark "BBC News", this will occur.

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5 RC2,

    Jedi Fans, Mar 6, 2006
  6. Z

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Jedi Fans, Mar 6, 2006
  7. Z

    Z Guest

    Charani wrote:
    >>> Is your home page set to a BBC page?

    >> No, it's about:blank.

    > Do you click on any links that are posted up to BBC news pages or to
    > their sports or weather pages?

    No, of course not! I do *nothing* but start Firefox (even in Safe
    Mode!), and, voila, the cookie is there again.

    > Have you tried blocking the cookie from being allowed?

    No.

    > Have you emptied the temp and temp internet files on XP?

    Yes, many times, manually, but the problem persists.

    Z, Mar 6, 2006
  8. Z

    Z Guest

    Jedi Fans wrote:
    >> Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other
    >> problem?

    > If you have the Live Bookmark "BBC News", this will occur.

    Please explain what the "live bookmark" is.

    Z, Mar 6, 2006
  9. Z

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Re: Mysterious reappearing bbc.co.uk cookie (Firefox 1.5.0.1, WindowsXPPro)

    On 06/03/06 17:10, Z scribbled:
    > Jedi Fans wrote:
    >>> Why? What is causing this? Do I have a browser hijack or some other
    >>> problem?

    >> If you have the Live Bookmark "BBC News", this will occur.

    > Please explain what the "live bookmark" is.

    I dont actually have time, please google it [sorry], goto
    "bookmarks>manage bookmarks>Bookmarks Toolbar" and right
    click on BBC News and select delete.

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5,
    Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5 and Revenge Of The Sith!

    Jedi Fans, Mar 6, 2006
  10. Z

    Z Guest

    Jedi Fans wrote:
    >>> If you have the Live Bookmark "BBC News", this will occur.

    >> Please explain what the "live bookmark" is.

    > I dont actually have time, please google it [sorry], goto
    > "bookmarks>manage bookmarks>Bookmarks Toolbar" and right
    > click on BBC News and select delete.

    Ha! That did it. (I had to right click on the icon in the toolbar to
    delete it).

    Thanks.

    Z, Mar 7, 2006