    I just heard a passing comment that MySQL5 was buggy, so one should still
    favour 4.x. Is there any substance to this?

    Any thoughts appreciated: cheers.

    Adam Cameron, Jan 20, 2007

  2. Adam Cameron

    Chris Hope Guest

    I've been using it on production servers for at least a couple of years
    now with no issues. There was a site I used to work on which gets
    around 10k visitors per day and that runs off MySQL 5 no probs.

    Chris Hope, Jan 20, 2007

  3. Adam Cameron

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Whilst not regarded as tried, true blue fully test-hardened production
    quality, most use it without problem.

    --
    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Fred Dagg, Jan 20, 2007
  4. Adam Cameron

    Steven Ellis Guest

    10k visitors an hour and i'd be interested.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Jan 20, 2007
  5. Adam Cameron

    jasen Guest

    Use postgresql instead.

    jasen, Jan 21, 2007
  6. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    Use postgresql instead.

    [groan]

    What did the question actually ask?

    Adam Cameron, Jan 21, 2007
  7. Adam Cameron

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Yup, the PostgreSQL crowd are like the Linux crowd, and the *BSD crowd
    in turn - they always think they're a rung or two up the ladder, and
    can be sure to make fools of themselves like this.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 21, 2007
  8. Classic.

    Mark Robinson, Jan 21, 2007
  9. Adam Cameron

    Fred Dagg Guest

    You think a lot is "classic", don't you Mark?

    What I think is "classic" is that you are too thick to actually come
    up with a constructive reply, and have to resort to one-worders,
    thereby wasting everyone's time and bandwidth.

    In short, you are an idiot.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 22, 2007
  10. Adam Cameron

    Shane Guest

    Brilliant.

    Shane, Jan 22, 2007
  11. Adam Cameron

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Historically morons have usually stuck together. Good to see this
    hasn't changed.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 22, 2007
  12. Adam Cameron

    Enkidu Guest

    Well, I'd never try to convince a MySQL user to use PostgreSQL. MySQL
    users have an almost mystic ability to overlook the deficiencies of
    their chosen database tool. I use MySQL databases, but only for trivial
    stuff. For the important stuff I use PostgreSQL. It's horses for
    courses. It's not a matter of being "a rung or two up the ladder", which
    is just weird and smacks of a feeling of inferiority.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 22, 2007
  13. Adam Cameron

    Earl Grey Guest

    Fred hasn't a clue when he's dropped a clanger.
    There is no point in debating some stereotype he has invented for the
    purpose of trolling, its pretty funny to watch though.
    The OP was likely a LAMP user of Mysql polling other LAMP users, and its
    pretty unlikely that anyone from the "Postgresql crowd" if there is such
    a thing would be unaware of the context.

    Earl Grey, Jan 22, 2007
  14. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    Well, I'd never try to convince a MySQL user to use PostgreSQL.

    I'm not a "MySQL user" in the sense that you seem to think there's some
    sort of clique I belong to. I happen to use MySQL. And MS-SQL Server.
    And Oracle. When someone puts PostgresSQL in front of me, I'll use that
    too. In the market I operate in, to be honest, no-one's interested in
    EITHER MySQL or PostgresSQL: it's primarily Oracle, and then MS-SQL (at a
    pinch). That said, I'm making no judgement on any of the DBs I mention
    above: there's an awful lot of overlap in the capabilities of each, and a
    I'm sure all have their strengths.

    I did not ask a question about the stability of MySQL version 5 cf version
    4 as a way to *actually* ask the opinions of the more insecure people in
    this NG who feel aggrieved if everyone doesn't play with *their* favourite
    toy.

    Some of you people, truly, are beyond belief in your degree of sadness.

    (This is not specifically directed @ you, Cliff, btw; you're just the
    person whose post I landed on first).

    Adam Cameron, Jan 22, 2007
  15. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    The OP was likely a LAMP user of Mysql polling other LAMP users,

    Not at all. Although I DO use the first three and have a cursory knowledge
    of PHP (and I think it seems pretty good, from my brief investigations). I
    also use Windows, Solaris; IIS, Zeus; and - as previously touched on -
    Oracle and SQL Server. Oh and for programming languages ColdFusion and
    Java (mostly CF, but can get by in Java if I need to).

    I'm an IT *professional*, rather than some sort of fanboy. I'm a user of
    whatever I'm asked to be a user of, or whatever I think will do the job.

    They're just bits of software.

    Adam Cameron, Jan 22, 2007
  16. Adam Cameron

    Earl Grey Guest

    I really don't think there is such a thing as "the Postgresql crowd". ;-)

    Earl Grey, Jan 22, 2007
  17. Adam Cameron

    Earl Grey Guest

    Earl Grey, Jan 22, 2007