    Any suggestions? (I have a D-Link DSL 604+ router modem with the latest
    available firmware update).

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Tim Downie

    Spin Dryer Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 22:31:31 -0000, [Tim Downie] said :-
    Not enough information Tim, unless you tell us the URL, then it's not
    easy to offer any help.

    Spin Dryer, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    My daughter says it not her page per se, it's just *any* myspace page
    (www.myspace.com). (My other daughter's Myspace page does the same.) Oddly
    she says it seems to work fine until 6-7 pm and *then* it starts crashing.

    All I know it that it works fine until they come home from school. Then,
    later in the evening, they have to give up visiting their pages.

    Make any sense?

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Tim Downie

    Spin Dryer Guest

    My daughter says it not her page per se, it's just *any* myspace page
    (www.myspace.com). (My other daughter's Myspace page does the same.) Oddly
    she says it seems to work fine until 6-7 pm and *then* it starts crashing.

    All I know it that it works fine until they come home from school. Then,
    later in the evening, they have to give up visiting their pages.

    Make any sense?

    Tim
    [/QUOTE]

    I suggest a possible browser/corrupt cookie syndrome, which causes a
    browser failure.

    You don't say whether any other service apart from web access is
    affected, e.g. email or nntp.

    Are you saying that only when she visits the page, it actually
    prevents any of your network connecting to webpages ?

    Spin Dryer, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Corrupt cookies?
    *Everything* goes down. Can't browse, can't send e-mail and the Squeezebox
    dies. The whole wired and wireless network freezes. It doesn't seem to
    matter which PC the girls are accessing Myspace from, the result is the
    same.
    No, once the system's crashed (whether she's tried to leave the page or not)
    it won't restart until the router's powered down & up again.

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Nov 17, 2005
  6. Tim Downie

    Alex Fraser Guest

    Does it happen with http://www.myspace.com/ itself?
    If not, can you give a specific example?
    Does it happen if you are not logged as a site member?
    Is there anything the router does at that time?
    Have you tried resetting the router's configuration to the factory default?
    Probably irrelevant, but what ISP do you use?

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Nov 17, 2005
  7. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Just tried looking at that and for the period that I was looking, the system
    styed up.
    I think it must be when my daughter's log in.
    Not that I know of. Nothing scheduled on any of my PCs for the evenings
    I'm pretty sure I've never moved *away* from the default settings. I
    suppose I could try it.
    Zen

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Nov 17, 2005
  8. Tim Downie

    Peter M Guest

    Are they using your PC, or their own (separate PCs) or sharing a PC and
    do you have any firewall or similar software (I use an old freebie, Tiny
    Software's firewall, which shows all the connections made, and using some
    similar software you might be able to determine the difference when you're
    looking at some page, and when they look at the ones causing problems, as
    some routers cannot cope if there are massive numbers of connections (it
    isn't much help, but it might be part of the cause of the router being
    somehow overloaded, if you see what I mean!). Some routers seem to
    think there's a 'Denial of Service' attack if they have lots of
    external traffic 'bombarding' the router. Peter M.

    Peter M, Nov 18, 2005
  9. Tim Downie

    usenet Guest

    When your daughter's log in does what?

    usenet, Nov 18, 2005
  10. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Their own and sometimes my wife's laptop as well.
    Well I use a variety of firewalls. Zone alarm on some + or - windows XP
    firewall and a hardware firewall in the router.
    Well it would have to be the router's firewall then as that would be the
    only one capable of crashing the whole network. Unfortunately I haven't a
    clue how to adjust the router's firewall without introducing
    vulnerabilities.

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Nov 18, 2005
  11. Have you tried leaving the router for a few minutes to see if it comes
    back up? Is there the capability to get the router to dump logs to a
    syslog server, or does it keep persistant logs?

    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Nov 19, 2005
  12. Tim Downie

    usenet Guest

    Regardless of the "Myspace ate my router" issue I think it would be a
    good idea if you just had one firewall. If you have a NAT router it
    probably provides almost all you need. Multiple firewalls (and
    different firewalls at different times) are just a way of getting
    wierd bugs and confusing yourself.

    usenet, Nov 20, 2005
  13. Tim Downie

    Chris Whelan Guest

    I've been using a NAT router together with software firewalls on a small
    home network for a couple of years. I swap PC's in and out of this setup as
    I configure or fix them for friends and family. I have never run into any
    difficulties doing this, nor do I feel particularly confused :)

    I like to be able to see (and usually disallow!) installed SW from 'phoning
    home!

    Chris

    Chris Whelan, Nov 20, 2005
  14. Tim Downie

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    I do the same, it seems to me you need a s/w firewall to be able to
    prevent outgoing connections that a router might allow. It's also
    useful if you need to put a PC in the DMZ for any reason.

    Jeff Gaines, Nov 20, 2005
  15. It can be worthwhile having a separate firewall on a Windows PC which has
    a high chance of getting infected with malware. A dedicated router can
    block connections based on destination ports and addresses, but cannot
    know what *program* on the client is making a connection. A software
    firewall running on Windows itself can, so you can allow only genuine
    software to connect to the Internet.

    Regards, Ian

    Ian Northeast, Nov 20, 2005
  16. Tim Downie

    Rob Morley Guest

    He wasn't suggesting not using a software firewall, he was responding to
    the comment "Zone alarm on some + or - windows XP firewall" i.e. using
    ZA _and_ the XP firewall at the same time which is definitely a bad
    idea.

    Rob Morley, Nov 20, 2005
  17. Tim Downie

    chris-usenet Guest

    Ah. So it's not a myspace issue then, per se?
    Do any of your daughters run VOIP software? There's at least one family of
    routers "out there" that crash when you use SIP-based VOIP software. (The
    fix is simple enough, but you have to know about it first.)

    Chris

    chris-usenet, Nov 21, 2005
  18. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Umm... well it's only when they log into their myspace websites.
    Nope.

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Nov 22, 2005