my wireless disconnects, then reconnects more than once a day

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Jul 27, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a NetgearWG111v2 wireless adapter that keeps cutting out, then
    reconnecting itself (I get the message down in the bottom right hand corner
    saying it is now connected when it is done). I downloaded the newest version
    of Netgear, wg111v2_3_3_0 a couple days ago, it was completely fixed until I
    reset my computer so Windows controls the Netgear instead of the Netgear
    Smart Utility. I no longer have to log off to reconnect (that is what I had
    to do before downloading the new version), but I still lose the Internet
    every so often (although not as often as before), maybe 3 times a day. It is
    like something is checking in the background to see if I am still connected,
    it disconnects, then shortly it reconnects. It is very annoying if I happen
    to be doing something like sending an email, as I lose it if I am trying to
    send when this happens. Because it didn't start happening again until I
    switched to let Windows control it, I am thinking it is a Windows issue. I am
    current with all my updates, I run on Windows XP, IE6, I have a Linksys
    router that connects this computer and another that has its own Netgear (that
    is older than this one) wireless card. The other computer doesn't have this
    problem. Are my settings goofed up, or is there an issue with Windows and
    this Netgear product? I run SpySweeper and eTrust Security Suite for spyware
    and antivirus.

    Guest, Jul 27, 2007

  2. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 27, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    It just happened again and there was limited or no connectivity, and the IP
    address couldn't be renewed. When I clicked to repair the connection, the box
    came up where I had to choose which would fix it, the Netgear Smart Utility
    or Windows. The Netgear box was checked, when I checked the Windows box, it
    immediately connected. Are the two fighting for control because when I set it
    up I let the Netgear set it up, then I changed it to Windows? How do I get
    rid of the Netgear trying to control it if this is what is happening, and let
    only Windows control it? Do I have to do an uninstall and reinstall of my
    Netgear, and this time choose to configure it myself? I am not sure what is
    happening. In the eventvwr logs it tells me this when it disconnects for just
    the minute or so:

    11:53:48 AM- (information from TCPIP)- The system detected that network
    adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{98EC1742-C055-4C58-BA1D-B02E76EA4FF0} was connected to
    the network, and has initieated normal operation over the network adapter.

    When it would not reconnect and I had to choose the Windows to control it,
    this is in the event logs:

    12:12:38 PM (information from TCPIP)- The system detected that network
    adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{98EC1742-C055-4C58-BA1D-B02E76EA4FF0} was connected to
    the network, and has initieated normal operation over the network adapter.

    12:13:40 PM (warning from DHCP)- Your computer has automatically configured
    the IP address for the Network card with network address ____. The IP
    address being used is ____.

    12:14:03 PM (information from Browser)- The browser has forced an election
    on \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{98EC1742-C055-4C58-BA1D-B02E76EA4FF0} because a
    master browser was stopped.

    12:14:13 PM (information from TCPIP)- The system detected that network
    adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{98EC1742-C055-4C58-BA1D-B02E76EA4FF0} was connected to
    the network, and has initieated normal operation over the network adapter.

    12:18:38 PM (information from TCPIP)- The system detected that network
    adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{98EC1742-C055-4C58-BA1D-B02E76EA4FF0} was connected to
    the network, and has initieated normal operation over the network adapter.

    12:18:58 PM (information from TCPIP)- The system detected that network
    adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{98EC1742-C055-4C58-BA1D-B02E76EA4FF0} was connected to
    the network, and has initieated normal operation over the network adapter.

    12:19:08 PM (information from TCPIP)- The system detected that network
    adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{98EC1742-C055-4C58-BA1D-B02E76EA4FF0} was connected to
    the network, and has initieated normal operation over the network adapter.

    12:19:08 PM (warning from the DHCP)- Your computer was not able to renew its
    address from the network (from the DSCP server) for the Network Card with
    network address ____. The following error occurred: The operation was
    cancelled by the user. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an
    address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

    That was the last of the logs, but my connection is fine again. The items on
    the web address Jack mentioned are okay, but I couldn't check this part, I
    can't locate where it is on my computer:

    3. Check the Wireless Card Drivers and make sure that the Power saving is
    Off.

    Also, this link doesn't work so I can't see exactly what they are talking
    about, but I assume the SSID works fine, as I am connected part of the time.
    I couldn't connect without the SSID and key.

    2. Make sure that you SSID Broadcasting is On (It is a setting in the
    Wireless Router/Access point. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid

    Guest, Jul 27, 2007