My Vintage Dream PC

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by GreenXenon, May 18, 2009.

  1. What is it with you and this word's spelling, Klink?

    TheQuickBrownFox, May 29, 2009

  2. Translating the DEC'isms, UUO's and CALLI's are what is more generically
    known as "system calls". IBM "big iron" would call them "Supervisor
    Calls", but then that's IBM.

    These calls provide system-wide information (like TIME and DATE), and
    protect the OS and other users by *preventing* the normal user from
    directly programming dangerous and potentially system-wide damaging code.

    Charles Richmond, May 29, 2009

  3. So instead of carrying placards that say "FREE THE CHICAGO SEVEN",
    we'll be carrying placards that say "FREE THE INTEL 256"??? ;-)

    Charles Richmond, May 29, 2009
  4. Indeed, Windows 7 (of which you can download the final beta and run it for
    free for the next year or so) is widely held to be, as advertised, the most
    secure Microsoft operating system ever.

    Just remember that damnation with faint praise is still damnation.

    --
    Roland Hutchinson

    He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
    .... comparable to being ruler of an exceptionally small duchy.
    --Newark (NJ) Star Ledger ( http://tinyurl.com/RolandIsNJ )

    Roland Hutchinson, May 29, 2009
  5. GreenXenon

    JosephKK Guest

    I see your point. Get some crap going just well enough to be useful
    and pretend it is the second coming. Very marketeer. Very MS. Very
    not developing (let alone anything like properly).
    And currently always go for the eye heroin (far worse than candy,
    kinda sweet but addicting), and always leaving you "hungry (addicted)"
    for more. Gee why fix the problem, just look at this "neet" eye
    heroin.

    JosephKK, May 29, 2009
  6. GreenXenon

    Mensanator Guest

    Eight. I guess that dates me.

    Mensanator, May 29, 2009
  7. GreenXenon

    JosephKK Guest

    Not so much forgotten as (inappropriately) devalued, and thus
    untaught.

    I must agree, i found out the hard way. Dealing more deeply with IBM
    MVS in the early 1990s taught me a lot. Not even a misbehaving
    "system" program could bring the system down. It got trapped,
    blocked, and killed with rather thorough diagnostic logs available. I
    know, i used them a few times.

    JosephKK, May 29, 2009
  8. GreenXenon

    JosephKK Guest

    Again i must agree, a non-reentrant kernel is a time bomb.

    JosephKK, May 29, 2009
  9. GreenXenon

    JosephKK Guest

    Single point of failure has been pointed out to you more than once.

    JosephKK, May 29, 2009
  10. GreenXenon

    JosephKK Guest

    Primarily because of thrown away knowledge.

    JosephKK, May 29, 2009
  11. GreenXenon

    JosephKK Guest

    You clearly do not have a clue as to what you are talking about.
    Please leave or self-destruct.

    JosephKK, May 29, 2009
  12. GreenXenon

    JosephKK Guest

    Actually helpful to me, can't speak for anyone else.

    Does the user directly specify the UUOs and CALLIs when using say a
    text editing program? This is programmer territory, isn't it? This
    is OK, it establishes context.

    Now UUO and CALLI seem to be acronyms or abbreviations. An expansion
    of each in this modified context seems to be really to the point.
    Please provide these. Perhaps even discuss an example or three of
    each. Posting links is quite acceptable, as i expect the explanations
    to be more than a few paragraphs.

    JosephKK, May 29, 2009
  13. GreenXenon

    JosephKK Guest

    The insight i am looking for is rather deeper than that. Things like
    what is the difference between a UUO and a CALLI? And why

    JosephKK, May 29, 2009
  14. GreenXenon

    Greegor Guest

    Will one of them be actually GAGGED in the courtroom by Judges order?

    Greegor, May 29, 2009
  15. No problem. If core in this context means memory for you, then ECC fill
    fix that problem. Most of the mission critical computers use ECC memory.
    You will just get report to a log that bit was flipped and was fixed.

    If the core means one processor core, then the story is more difficult,
    but usually caches are protected by ECC, datapaths have different forms
    of protection. Also if cosmic ray hits regular control logic, the
    propability for something bad happening is quite low (10% derating is
    quite often used, because not all logic nodes are relevant for each
    cycle).

    If I remember correctly also the cosmic neutron/proton effects are not
    as bad as the alpha radiation caused by the semiconductor itself and the
    packages.

    --Kim

    Kim Enkovaara, May 29, 2009
  16. GreenXenon

    Greegor Guest

    Grace Hopper USN predicted that 30 years ago.

    She also predicted that each pixel on a computer
    screen would at some point have it's own processor.

    http://www.waterholes.com/~dennette/1996/hopper/grace86.gif
    Either approach can work if properly executed.

    Wouldn't it already be difficult to find a new
    PC that isn't a dual or quad processor?

    The genie's already out of the bottle.

    Greegor, May 29, 2009
  17. GreenXenon

    Peter Flass Guest

    SVC.

    Peter Flass, May 29, 2009
  18. GreenXenon

    Peter Flass Guest

    Most OS's are threaded, but I don't think dedicating a core to a thread
    would ever be a good idea, no matter what resources you have. The
    reason the systems are threaded is because most of what they do is waiting.
    Networking is probably the exception.
    IBM is moving in this direction, with dedicated special-purpose
    processors for special functions. Only time will tell, but I'm not sure
    this is a good idea, except perhaps in marketing terms.

    Peter Flass, May 29, 2009
  19. GreenXenon

    Peter Flass Guest

    Maybe he's a Commodorian.

    Peter Flass, May 29, 2009
  20. GreenXenon

    Peter Flass Guest

    We've seen this since CP-67 in, what, 1968?. BTDT.

    Peter Flass, May 29, 2009