My Vintage Dream PC

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by GreenXenon, May 18, 2009.

  1. NTFS has not changed in 4 years or more. D'OH!

    Archimedes' Lever, Jun 17, 2009

  2. GreenXenon

    Quadibloc Guest

    They were going to add a big file system change for Vista, back when
    it was called Longhorn. But they ran into trouble, and had to delay
    that feature.

    John Savard

    Quadibloc, Jun 17, 2009

  3. GreenXenon

    Quadibloc Guest

    Both Vista and Windows 7 have hardware requirements in excess of those
    of Windows 98.

    Windows 98 can play DVDs. What important feature does Vista have, or
    did XP have, that Windows 98 was lacking? This is just a plot to grab
    more money off of people - by making the new computers that come out
    have a new operating system, new software gets targeted for the new
    platform, and so people are eventually forced to upgrade for
    interoperability reasons, even when their old computers are capable of
    doing the work desired.

    John Savard

    Quadibloc, Jun 17, 2009
  4. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    Sigh! But I never saw what each customer built. Every single monitor
    was *different* depending on local mods and what the customer answered
    during MONGEN time. If there are even a hundred (there were more)
    questions, calculate the different combinations you could have;
    you may assume that each question was a Yes or No (which they weren't).

    The highest possible size would have been physical memory on the system
    but it wouldn't have been possible to login.

    /BAH

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jun 17, 2009
  5. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    the next release isn't going to put indexing in the directory
    blocks?

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jun 17, 2009
  6. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    I was told that the file system would include keywords for indexing
    so that "find"s would work faster. You don't need all that in
    binaries. Most of the files on systems are in non-human-readable
    format. This stuff doesn't belong in the UFD nor RIBs (DECisms).

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jun 17, 2009
  7. GreenXenon

    FatBytestard Guest

    No shit.
    Can Windows 98 play HD form factor DVDs? Are there drivers for my SAS
    controller? NO! Are there drivers for my simple HD DVD/BluRay drive?
    I didn't even check. Why? because I have a brain. What about the new
    USB specs?
    An order of magnitude more secure, and a more robust kernel, which
    means that a person's productivity goes up. For engineering, those hours
    are expensive, so productivity numbers matter.
    You are just an idiot that doesn't *really* know what computers and
    computing is about, despite any technical knowledge you may have gained
    in recent years. (that is the same as the remark you just made).

    Your grasp of the overall paradigm... the bigger picture... is
    tragically flawed by a gang boy retard mentality where you believe the
    bullshit you hear at every gossip session you participate in. Folks would
    rather hear the truth, not your bent brained opinion.
    Some idiot said that same thing about DOS as windows hit the fore. He
    too was wrong, and imagine trying to get an accounting staff at a large
    company to enter data into Lotus 123 on a DOS based computing machine.

    Progress marches forward. You either keep up or fall behind. Sure,
    there is an expense, but you either belly up to the bar and play with the
    big boys, or you piss and moan all the time, and never really quite learn
    what it is all about.

    I am quite glad that my 4 year old system works with either new OS. I
    piece together a new system every 4 years or so. This last one has SLI
    and SATA, etc. That means that Ican keep a fast video card with GPU
    processing capacity. Do you even know what SLI is?

    I have about seven computers in storage, including my first 286. It
    will not run anything modern either.

    You either keep up, and go with the flow or you fall behind. Computers
    are cheap. They used to be $5000 back when that was a LOT of money. Now,
    they are pennies by comparison.

    I am sorry that your McDonald's job does not allow you to save enough
    to get a new computer every now and then. Or maybe you work in IT. If
    that is the case, then it is pretty sad that companies are employing
    idiots that learned about computers and programming and the like, but
    lost all grasp of a modern, consumer based society, and what progress is
    all about.

    FatBytestard, Jun 17, 2009
  8. Where are they in a Reiser FS or other Linux journaling file system?

    Archimedes' Lever, Jun 17, 2009
  9. You really are not very modern. I'll bet you even look like a late
    1800's school marm. That is the only DECism that rubbed off on you. It
    shows... blatantly.

    Archimedes' Lever, Jun 17, 2009
  10. GreenXenon

    Martin Brown Guest

    XP had properly working USB 2.0 drivers and user accounts. Win98 SE was
    marginal at best, but massively better than the intervening 2k and ME.

    Prior to 98SE Unstable Serial Bus best described it. Even today you can
    find USB devices that do not get on with suspend or screensaver modes.
    I still have a couple of machines with 98SE installed for retro
    compatibility testing. A fair number of antique (>5year old) scientific
    instruments do not get on with newer Windows OS's.

    Vista's most annoying feature is that a whole lot of old HP kit like
    scanners is not supported on it. I would not recommend upgrading to it
    but it is perfectly usable if a little resource hungry.

    By comparison Office 2007 is a barely usable unstable unreliable mess.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jun 17, 2009
  11. Which is an HP thing, not an MS thing.

    HP is notorious for dropping devices they no longer feel like
    supporting. My less than 5 year old printer is a perfect example, and it
    got dropped even before Vista came out.

    Archimedes' Lever, Jun 17, 2009
  12. That must have been the MISTIC, a locally built copy of the ILLIAC.

    Tim McCaffrey, Jun 17, 2009

  13. Here is a memoir that talks about some of this, IIRC.

    http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/B5000-AlgolRWaychoff.html

    - Tim

    Tim McCaffrey, Jun 17, 2009
  14. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    <snort> You wouldn't be able to identify a bit god if he flopped on you.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jun 18, 2009
  15. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    Why do they have to be embedded in the file system?

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jun 18, 2009
  16. GreenXenon

    FatBytestard Guest

    Said the School Marm wanna be. The only part you got right is the ugly
    school marm look, miss pris.

    FatBytestard, Jun 18, 2009

  17. Do you even know whether they are or not, miss 30 years behind the rest?

    Archimedes' Lever, Jun 18, 2009
  18. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    Laws of physics haven't changed. Neither has the purpose of an OS.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jun 19, 2009
  19. Idiot. By those laws, that WOULD be the best place for the indexing.

    You just shot yourself in the head, much less the foot.

    I guess you want to use a pack of post-its.
    Another item which eludes your grasp. excruciatingly obviously so.

    Sigh indeed. Bwuahahahahahahahah!

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Jun 20, 2009
  20. ITS in the 1960s (PDP-10 and PDP-6) invented the versioning file system.

    Christopher C. Stacy, Jun 21, 2009