    jmfbahciv Guest

    Kewl. All of those are important. I'd add indirection.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jun 12, 2009

  2. GreenXenon

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    If you mean memory-indirect addressing, no such luck. It's a nice
    little machine, but not perfect...

    Joe Pfeiffer, Jun 12, 2009

  3. I have RCS archives that are more than 20 years old, which have been
    moved from machine to machine and OS to OS, and which are still
    perfectly usable. I can extract any version of the source they
    contain, and all the metadata is available.

    If RCS mysteriously stopped working tomorrow, and I couldn't get it
    working again (unlikely, since I have all the sources, and I'm quite
    familiar with them, having ported them from Unix to OS/2 and written a
    distributed version for OS/400), I could still get the tip version of
    the sources from the RCS files themselves, as they're plain ASCII with
    reverse deltas in a simple markup language.

    With a decent VCS, there shouldn't be any worries about it being
    "runnable in the long term". The repository should be accessible as
    long as the programs themselves remain relevant. When we can no longer
    read ASCII files, I won't need those sources for anything.

    Michael Wojcik, Jun 12, 2009
  4. Branching and merging is significantly better in CVSNT (particularly
    thanks to mergepoints). I understand it's better yet in EVS, the
    successor to CVSNT, though I haven't used EVS myself.

    Branching and merging is now adequate in the current release of
    Subversion, which has more or less caught up to CVSNT in terms of
    mergepoints and has a better data model for branching and merging
    filesystem changes.

    Pre-mergepoint merging in Subversion and regular CVS is a horrible
    mess. It's almost worse than it was with RCS; at least RCS didn't
    pretend to do any of the bookkeeping for you.

    Michael Wojcik, Jun 12, 2009
  5. We did this with a modified version of cvs in the last 80's/early 90's.

    scott

    Scott Lurndal, Jun 12, 2009
  6. Citroens still had starting handles in the 1970's (it
    was a dual purpose wheel-nut spanner). I started my
    father's one a couple of times with it, but starting
    handles and modern high compression engines (even in
    the 1970s) are not a good combination, and I don't
    think most drivers would have been able to turn the
    starting handle at all. Wouldn't surprise me if they
    were responsible for more heart attacks than started
    engines;-)

    Andrew Gabriel, Jun 13, 2009
  7. The one in which I learned to use a cranking handle to start a car
    in the '60s and in the '70s was still using the cranking handle to turn the
    engine round when setting the rocker gaps.

    Ahem A Rivet's Shot, Jun 13, 2009
  8. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    Can you index the indexes?

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jun 13, 2009
  9. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jun 13, 2009
  10. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    [piggypacking a post since I can't find the correct one]

    For John Larkin:

    If you want to find out how much code any EXE file has, do
    the following commands:

    GET FOO.EXE
    CORE

    It should report how many K there is. But this doesn't
    give the real size when the EXE is running.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jun 13, 2009
  11. GreenXenon

    Peter Flass Guest

    Indirect addressing seems to be politically incorrect these days, along
    with the "execute" instruction.

    Peter Flass, Jun 13, 2009
  12. The seventies (the early seventies) were the peak of octane ratings and
    compression numbers. Unleaded, low octane fuels means that you will not
    see an engine with higher than 9.5 to 1 compression these days.

    The early seventies was the peak with numbers like 10.5 to 1 and 11.5
    to 1. Those days are long gone.

    TheGlimmerMan, Jun 13, 2009
  13. GreenXenon

    krw Guest

    My HP-45 still works - sorta. The power switch is flaky and I haven't
    gotten around to try to "replace" it. I bought a new set of batteries
    a couple of years ago and a couple of frame gizmos so I can make my
    own packs. eBay is useful for something.
    I bought one a year and a half ago. I like it, but it's no '45. The
    function placement just isn't "right".

    krw, Jun 13, 2009
  14. GreenXenon

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    I'm not sure what that would even mean...

    Joe Pfeiffer, Jun 13, 2009
  15. GreenXenon

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    The few cars I've had with adjustable lifters have used a wrench for
    that...

    Joe Pfeiffer, Jun 13, 2009
  16. Looks like a good nickname for you.

    Archimedes' Lever, Jun 13, 2009
  17. GreenXenon

    Scott Newell Guest

    You can put your own firmware in the new 20B, but the keys suck.
    (For instance, someone did firmware to simulate an old 45 on
    the new 20B.)

    The latest 12C calcs are using the same CPU as the 20B, so there's
    a chance for custom firmware. I'd like to emulate a 16C or 15C on
    it, but the key labels would still be wrong.

    Scott Newell, Jun 13, 2009
  18. Chuckle - good one.

    Ahem A Rivet's Shot, Jun 13, 2009
  19. GreenXenon

    Peter Flass Guest

    I think the Auto Museum in Saratoga hosted a Citroen convention last year.

    Peter Flass, Jun 14, 2009
  20. They're unusual, but not all that rare. (Maybe you live in a
    rust-belt state where cars don't last as long as here?)

    -- Patrick

    Patrick Scheible, Jun 14, 2009