My Vintage Dream PC

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by GreenXenon, May 18, 2009.

  1. GreenXenon

    GreenXenon Guest

    Hi:

    My vintage dream PC contains the most advanced motherboard [in terms
    of ability to handle the highest processor speed of it's type as well
    as maximum RAM capability] that contains the most amount of 16-bit ISA
    slots but does not contain any PCI or other non ISA also. It does not
    even have any EISA or SCSI.

    Here are the other specs of my vintage dream PC

    1. OSes: Windows 3.0 [not 3.0a, just 3.0] and the most advanced
    version of DOS fully compatible with the other softwares/hardwares in
    my vintage dream PC.

    2. Sound Card: Most advanced version of SB16 ISA [all accessories --
    such as speakers included] with Creative Music FM Synth but without
    any wavetable or sample-playback synthesis -- fully-compatible with
    the other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC.

    3. A video card that handles both 16 and 256 color with the highest
    refresh rate and pixel-X-pixel resolution and pixel-per-inch
    resolution fully-compatible with the other softwares/hardwares in my
    vintage dream PC.

    3a. Most advanced monitor fully-compatible with the other softwares/
    hardwares in my vintage dream PC.

    4. NDW [Norton Desktop for Windows] with Sleeper [screensaver] and
    batchrun.exe "Norton Desktop (Utility Suite) for Windows 3.0", I
    believe.

    5. Canyon.mid [midi file often present with Windows OSes] -- Windows
    3.0 version if the song specifically sounds different in 3.0

    6. Window Entertainment Pack [including the Idlewild screensaver]

    7. Most advanced version of Creative Lab's SB16 FM MIDI kit fully-
    compatible with the other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC.

    8. The CD-ROM disk that contains what's described in the following
    link: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.technology.obsolete/msg/a57ec0bb21f6d19b

    9. Three most advanced ISA-card modems of their type fully-compatible
    with the other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC for the
    following:

    A. The 1st modem is to be used similar to phone and. Perhaps to talk
    over the phone via the PC

    B. The 2nd modem is for dial-up internet access and is an MFSK-based
    ISA dial-up modem. Of course this assumes that MFSK-based modems would
    exist for internet access and be fully-compatible with the other
    softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC. If MFSK is not an option,
    then FSK is okay. Hoping for MFSK but prepared for FSK if MFSK is not
    possible.

    FSK = Frequency-Shift Keying

    MFSK = Multiple-Frequency-Shift-Keying.

    If MFSK is indeed existent and fully-compatible with the rest of my
    system, then I would prefer that it be the type of MFSK which uses the
    most bits-per-baud that is fully-compatible with the rest of my
    system.

    Even better if the remote PC that connects my PC to the internet also
    has the same characteristics as my dream PC and is located in
    Switzerland while my PC and I are in Southern California.

    Yup! Long Distance International Dial-Up Internet Access!

    C. The 3rd modem uses the European Deaf Telephone [EDT] protocol and
    can be used to communicate with the EDT devices in Switzerland. Of
    course, I'm assuming this even exists for PCs and is fully-compatible
    with the other softwares/hardwares in my system.

    10. The most advanced Netscape-based browser the would be fully
    compatible with the other softwares/hardwares in my PC.

    11. "The Software Toolworks Multimedia Encyclopedia", Version 1.5,
    Grolier, Inc. (1992) CD-ROM disc.

    12. Most advanced versions of internet languages [such as JavaScript
    and CSS – or available equivalents] fully-compatible with the other
    softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC.

    13. Most advanced CD-ROM player fully-compatible with the other
    softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC.

    Thanks

    GreenXenon, May 18, 2009

  2. GreenXenon

    John Doe Guest

    ....glucegen1x...

    Is that one of your prescriptions, SkyBuck?

    John Doe, May 18, 2009

  3. Upgrade to linux... :)

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.29.3

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B), May 18, 2009
  4. GreenXenon

    MooseFET Guest

    You can get mother boards with a low number of ISA slots. Because of
    the way ISA works, you can make a passive mother board with many ISA
    slots. You could drive this with a single ISA slot or a PC-104 CPU
    board.

    I would suggest Puppy Linux with Dosemu installed. This lets you do
    every thing you could want in DOS and yet have a completely modern OS
    at the same time. The reason for going with Puppy is that it is very
    DOS like in many ways.

    Just make sure it isn't a "soft modem"

    Firefox

    MooseFET, May 18, 2009
  5. [snip]

    Windows 3.0?? More like my vintage nightmare PC.

    Patrick Scheible, May 18, 2009
  6. GreenXenon

    GreenXenon Guest

    How so?

    GreenXenon, May 19, 2009
  7. GreenXenon

    mrdarrett Guest

    You want to be in Southern California because...???

    Does Switzerland have more lenient software piracy laws? Is that why
    you choose Switzerland?

    What's wrong with Windows 3.1?

    mrdarrett, May 19, 2009
  8. GreenXenon

    CBFalconer Guest

    Any one who posts cross-posting to 5 newsgroups, without setting
    follow-ups, deserves nothing more than a PLONK.

    CBFalconer, May 19, 2009
  9. GreenXenon

    GreenXenon Guest

    I live in SoCal
    I associate Switzerland with high-technology telecommunications. I
    also associate it with the psychedelic tones I hear on the phone when
    dialing any number to Switzerland from American. In addition, I also
    like the error messages I would get from all the EMI/RFI that would
    invade the signals on the phone lines on the way to/from Switzerland
    and America.
    I like the visuals of Win 3.0 better. In addition, The Software
    Toolworks World Atlas Version 3.2 display "Soviet Union" in Win 3.0.
    In Win 3.1, it displays "USSR"

    GreenXenon, May 19, 2009
  10. GreenXenon

    sandy58 Guest

    Quotes from "Glow-In-The-Dark" GreenXenon
    1. The longest wavelength of EM radiation the average human eye
    perceives as green and not yellow.

    2. The shortest wavelength of EM radiation the average human eye
    perceives as red and not orange.

    What are these wavelengths?

    I'm now daydreaming about aurora-like patterns of coherent light of
    those two wavelengths.
    Your out of your tree, asshole. Go play somewhere else...like the
    freeway...blind-folded....in the dark???

    sandy58, May 19, 2009
  11. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    Dammit! Windows is not, I repeat, NOT an OS.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, May 19, 2009
  12. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    Well, he does have to reset his program counter with every boot.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, May 19, 2009
  13. GreenXenon

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    What have you been smoking?
    Red light is long wave,
    green is middle range wave,
    blue is short wavelength .

    Sjouke Burry, May 19, 2009
  14. GreenXenon

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    And dont re-transmit his blatterings.(please...)

    Sjouke Burry, May 19, 2009
  15. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    Not really. What do you think the terms NT and Vista exist?
    Windows is the app.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, May 20, 2009
  16. Because "Windows" by itself is too vague to trademark. (And also to
    designate specific releases.)
    In Windows 3.x, 95, 98, and ME, yes. In Windows NT, XP, and Vista,
    the windows interface is inseparable from any other part of the OS.
    Putting the interface in the kernel is one of its design flaws.

    -- Patrick

    Patrick Scheible, May 20, 2009

  17. He already has a girl. She goes everywhere with him. She's easy to
    travel with 'cause he deflates her whenever they're in transit.

    Richard Cranium, May 21, 2009
  18. GreenXenon

    Sylvia Else Guest

    http://www.theonion.com/content/video/attractive_girls_union_refuses_to

    Sylvia Else, May 21, 2009
  19. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    Monitor releases which is not the app.
    I don't care if it's inseparable; that was a battle that Cutler
    lost. Allowing the app to have hard wired roots in the monitor is,
    probably, The source of all its bugs.
    That's because their developers didn't know how to do app code.
    They were so used to having their way with putting app code
    into the exec, that they thought they had to do the same with
    VMS. that's one of the hard and fast rules that DEC didn't
    tend to do....allow any old user mode code have direct read/write
    access to exec code. That's why the bit gods invented UUOs and
    CALLIs.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, May 21, 2009
  20. GreenXenon

    jmfbahciv Guest

    Gee, in my experence it's not the girl that deflates.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, May 21, 2009