My Vintage Dream PC

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by GreenXenon, Jan 20, 2009.

  1. GreenXenon

    GreenXenon Guest

    Hi:

    http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-93.html

    From the looks of all MoBo's on that site, the "UMC 386DX-40" is
    probably the best for my vintage dream PC.

    My vintage dream PC contains that MoBo along with the following:

    1. OS: Windows 3.0 [not 3.0a, just 3.0]

    2. Sound Card: SB16 ISA [all accessories -- such as speakers --
    included]

    3. Most advanced graphics/video card and PC monitor [screen] that
    would still be compatible with Windows 3.0 and other softwares/
    hardwares in my vintage dream PC

    4. NDW [Norton Desktop for Windows] with Sleeper [screensaver] and
    batchrun.exe -- "Norton Desktop (Utility Suite) for Windows 3.0", I
    believe.

    5. Canyon.mid [midi file often present with Windows OSes] -- Windows
    3.0 version if the song specifically sounds different in 3.0

    6. Window Entertainment Pack [including the Idlewild screensaver]

    7. Creative Lab's SB16 FM MIDI kit

    8. The CD-ROM disk that contains what's described in the following
    link:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.technology.obsolete/msg/a57ec0bb21f6d19b

    9. Three ISA-card modems for the following:

    A. The 1st modem is to be used similar to a phone. Perhaps to talk
    over the phone via the PC. It is the most advanced ISA telephone card
    that would still be compatible with Windows 3.0 and other softwares/
    hardwares in my vintage dream PC

    B. The 2nd modem is for dial-up internet access and uses the most
    advanced ISA dial-up modem that would still be compatible with Windows
    3.0 and other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC

    C. The 3rd modem uses the European Deaf Telephone [EDT] protocol and
    can be used to communicate with the EDT devices in Switzerland. Of
    course, I'm assuming this even exists for PCs. Most likely, there is
    no EDT-compatible interface for PCs and even if they were, I doubt
    they would work with Win 3.0. Hopefully, I'm wrong and EDT does work
    with Win 3.0 and the PC hardware. Again, this should be the most
    advanced ISA EDT modem that would still be compatible with Windows 3.0
    and other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC

    10. The most advanced Netscape-based browser the would be compatible
    with Win 3.0

    11. "The Software Toolworks Multimedia Encyclopedia", Version 1.5,
    Grolier, Inc. (1992)

    All of the above should be fully-compatible with the UMC 386DX-40
    motherboard.

    Thanks

    GreenXenon, Jan 20, 2009

  2. GreenXenon

    Flasherly Guest

    Early memory "sticks" were early options to still extant DRAM
    "critters" -- 18-pin modules, thumb-seated in banks of 9 to a row, 9th
    being parity. I'm not sure that present incarnations would earlier on
    have been called SIMM, either, when memory slots also first coexisted
    with chipped variants. Then, the modem communications thing wouldn't
    have been ISA-centric, no indeed, because everybody [that was anybody
    knew] preferred a serial external modem for state of the art, usually
    2400-9600 ranging USR Couriers and a few Paradyne Comspheres later on
    competing with them. Standards imposed were similarly stated within
    bragging rights over long-distance connects into Chinopeka, Canada, or
    Bumfuk, Egypt, respective to and only during severe and most
    extenuating blizzards and sandstorms. Between a MB, first Intel 386
    CPUs, and memory, $900/US is within expectations. An EGA board and
    monitor, another $600. The Comsphere ran $2000 and Couriers over
    $1000, with lesser connects at 1200/2400BAUD apropos to masses for
    $100/200. Single-speed CDs to attract massive storage offerings were
    at first $1000 until parallel and SCSI offerings entered at $500. An
    IDE controller could be expected included with the first MFM HDs that
    superceded prohibitively priced RLLs, at around $300 for 20M,
    typically for a "SeaSnake" brand.

    Before that, mostly a bunch of weirdos in public coffee
    establishments, with thier early Ratshack boxes programming "89
    Bottles of Beer on the Wall", desperately seeking circuitous egress
    into an unwary audience willing to listen to their stories about 10"
    platters in boxes, and such nonsense not directly related to a
    workings within NASA or NSA.

    Flasherly, Jan 20, 2009

  3. GreenXenon

    EskWIRED Guest

    Does that exist?

    EskWIRED, Jan 20, 2009
  4. GreenXenon

    Jon Danniken Guest

    I've still got a couple 8086 boxes around here somewhere.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jan 20, 2009
  5. GreenXenon

    Mike Ray Guest

    Now where did I put that $300USD Creative Labs Multimedia kit with the
    SB card and a Sony 2x CD. Oh yeah here it is....made my 386-DX40 into a
    multimedia computer so I could play 7th Guest!

    Mike Ray, Jan 20, 2009
  6. Interesting rewriting of history. The 386DX-40 was never the
    "standard" chip in the manner that page describes - Intel never
    bothered with such a chip at all althoug the others certainly did.
    The 386SX actually had quite a reasonable life: it was a good option
    for maybe five years until 486's became dominant in 1993-4.
    Now this is contradictory. Windows 3.0 did not include multimedia
    support. To get that you had to install the Multimedia Extensions.
    From memory that was the same upgrade that updated the version to
    3.0a. For the same reason, you won't get canyon.mid in plain 3.0.

    Andrew Smallshaw, Jan 20, 2009
  7. Sure. You need a winsock but there's no big problem with that.
    I would have thought many on this group would first have gone online
    with Windows 3.x and Netscape.

    Andrew Smallshaw, Jan 20, 2009
  8. GreenXenon

    EskWIRED Guest

    I thought that it was still Mosaic at that point, and that Win95 came out
    before Netscape. But I guess now that I think about it, I WAS using 3.1
    with Netscape. It was so cool that the page would start to appear before
    the entire thng downloaded! And then came the progressive-loading GIFs.
    At that point, we stopped cursing pages that had pictures in addition to
    text. My ISP had a T1 line, and their tech guy nvited me in to watch a web
    page download at an amazing 2 Mb/Second or whatever it was.

    And Usenet was in its golden era...

    EskWIRED, Jan 20, 2009
  9. GreenXenon

    GreenXenon Guest

    Didn't Windows 3.0 in "enhanced mode" have multimedia support without
    needing to change to 3.0a?

    GreenXenon, Jan 21, 2009
  10. GreenXenon

    david Guest

    I still have an original 1983 IBM PC sitting in my basement... can't get
    more vintage than that.

    david, Jan 21, 2009
  11. GreenXenon

    meow2222 Guest

    Welcome to hell.

    The 486 is so much better. They even run wins 98 acceptably.

    NT

    meow2222, Jan 21, 2009
  12. No. You definitely need the multimedia extensions, or Windows 3.1
    which included them as standard. As I said earlier, I believe the
    multimedia extensions _were_ the version bump to 3.0a, but it was
    a long time ago and I may be wrong there.

    Andrew Smallshaw, Jan 21, 2009
  13. GreenXenon

    Fat Moe Guest

    Packard Bell can fix you right up.

    Fat Moe, Jan 26, 2009
  14. GreenXenon

    GreenXenon Guest

    http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-31/windows-30-multimedia/3542.html

    In the above link there is something about "Windows 3.0 Multimedia" or
    "Windows with Mulimedia Extensions Version 1.0"

    GreenXenon, Jan 26, 2009
  15. Andrew Smallshaw, Jan 26, 2009
  16. GreenXenon

    GreenXenon Guest

    Windows 3.0 Multimedia/Windows with Mulimedia Extensions Version 1.0
    is not the same thing as Windows 3.0a.

    GreenXenon, Jan 28, 2009
  17. GreenXenon

    kate.mcmurdo Guest

    Why don't you go out and test this before going out and telling users
    that are obviously more knowledgeable than you that they are wrong?
    Andrew is right, or at least not wrong, whereas your misinformed
    comments demonstrably are. You begin with a plain vanilla copy of
    Windows 3.0 and apply the Multimedia Extensions. You end up with
    Windows 3.0a. That isn't up for debate: try it if you do not believe
    me.

    Where Andrew's answer is incomplete is the 3.0a upgrade was available
    separately. That isn't the case with the multimedia though since that
    incorporated 3.0a in it. In short, you can't upgrade to multimedia
    without upgrading to 3.0a.

    Trust me: I know all about this. I still have a program that needs
    Windows running in real mode. I keep trying to upgrade but it has
    never proven cost effective.

    <Kate>

    kate.mcmurdo, Feb 10, 2009
  18. "Radium" is a troll. The number of newsgroups the original message
    was posted to should be an indicator, and the subject header "vintage
    dream PC" should also be a telltale. He's done this sort of thing
    repeatedly in other newsgroups, posting about nonsense and then when
    he doesn't like the answer, acting like others are the problem.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Feb 11, 2009
  19. Safe mode != real mode. Modern versions of Windows don't really
    have the different memory modes that Windows 3.0 had. It had three
    - real, standard and 386 enhanced. Now your system only ever runs
    in a "386 enhanced on steroids" mode, even in safe mode, at least
    for the 32 bit versions of Windows.

    In real mode you're limited to 640k base memory. The program in
    question is presumably doing some DOS-style low-level messing around
    with memory which would be tripped up by a more secure memory model.

    Andrew Smallshaw, Feb 15, 2009
  20. Vintage Dream machine?

    Apple 2C. Sheesh, that was easy ...

    Jeff Strickland, May 28, 2009