my uncles pc takes forever to boot, need some help please

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by heavenbound, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. heavenbound

    heavenbound Guest

    my uncle has this for a pc and it takes 3 minutes or more to boot. here is
    the specs and what i tried to fix it.

    P3/850
    512mb ram
    10-15gb hard drive
    dvdrom only
    gf 256 video
    sb live sound card
    no nic
    19" monitor acer
    normal keyboard and mouse

    1: had router, cable modem, nic in the pc.
    2: install windows xp
    3: booted fine, under 2 minutes easy. set up and it worked ok.
    4: took out the nic cus it was mine and i needed it, but i had it there so
    he could get on broadband for downloading all MS window updates instead of
    over slow dial up modem.
    5: pc now takes 3 or more minutes to boot. just sits there at the windows xp
    logo screen with the scrolling left to right blue bar thingy. thinking maybe
    it was looking for a network, but not find one is why it took so long.
    6: put nic back in same problem.
    7: reinstalled windows xp with no nic or anything.
    8: still takes 3 minutes or so to boot and it should take less then 2 easy.
    what is odd is first time i installed win xp it was fine, then took out nic,
    not good. put back everything still slow boot time.

    what's going on here? not running any start up programs or processes. just a
    standard windows xp install.

    heavenbound, Jun 1, 2004

  2. heavenbound

    mark mandel Guest

    So if I understand you correctly, the NIC is in now even with the slow boot
    up time? Did you check the Device Manager to see if it's shown there?
    Uninstall it from the Device Manager(if it's shown), and also take it out of
    the pc slot. If it's still slow, type in "eventvrw" in the Run
    command(without quotation marks)and see what it comes up with. And you
    might use the System Restore feature and take it back to the time when it
    was functioning OK.

    mark mandel, Jun 2, 2004

  3. heavenbound

    heavenbound Guest

    right now the pc is running from a windows xp install without any nic in
    there. it should no way in heck be that slow.

    heavenbound, Jun 2, 2004
  4. heavenbound

    Stuart Guest

    The other way around your problem would be to reinstall without the nic,
    in windows update you can download the files and save them to disk, you
    can access this area (not sure of the link though) using your broadband
    connection and then burn them to disk for you uncles machine. I think it
    is called windows update catalogue and is mainly for network admins but
    anyone can access it, ideal for your type of situation as well.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jun 11, 2004