    express what the writer means.
    There you go. Getting close to "I'm sorry, please take it as what I
    meant, not what I said".

    Tony Cooper, May 15, 2014

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    If I had your mind reading ability, I would make a lot of money playing
    poker.

    PeterN, May 15, 2014

  3. RichA

    Guest Guest

    you still don't get it.

    it doesn't matter how the terms *should* be used. what matters is how
    they *are* used, that being that starting bid can and does mean
    starting price.

    that's how it is here in the real world and particularly in auction
    circles. you're the only person who is confused and having a hissy fit
    over it. everyone else understands what is being said.

    Guest, May 16, 2014
  4. RichA

    Guest Guest

    exactly, and at least one person gets it.
    because he's an argumentative asshole.

    Guest, May 16, 2014
  5. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, May 16, 2014
  6. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I've used ebay and have heard that if you put the item at a lower price then it will sell for a higher price, but I don't actually believe that to be true in most cases. Why people think it's true is because that what teh acttion houses want you to think it's free advertising for them.

    That is true of course when/if the mona lisa goes on sale if the bidding starts at 1 UKP I'll be temepted, if it starts at 1 million then I won't be tempted. So you are right, starting an item off at a higher price would put me off, but I'm not convinved that it would put those people off that areserious about buying the Mona Lisa.

    I do not believe that to be true, and there;'s little real world evidence to show it's true.

    The recent auction of the Hasselblad "Moon Camera" ptovide that as if they wanted it to reach maxuim price why wasn't the staring bid.
    They put a high startign price on it NOT a low one.

    http://www.popphoto.com/news/2014/03/hasselblad-moon-camera-fetches-900000-auction

    it can, but rarely does.

    It might have been clear but not true in the majority of case, it might even work for very small value items bt I still doubt it.

    But if anyone is serious about proving it then you need say two DLSRs
    lest say worth about 1,000 of whatever currency, then yuo offer one with alow starting bid and the other with a high one and see which sells for thehighest price/bid.

    One of the big reasons for using a low starting price on ebay is because ebay charges less for low starting price items.

    Whisky-dave, May 16, 2014
  7. RichA

    Mort Guest

    Hi,

    I have about a dozen such OM lenses in mint condition. Please help me to
    find out who wants to buy them and where I can find out about what each
    one is worth.

    Thanks.

    Mort Linder

    Mort, May 18, 2014
  8. RichA

    Guest Guest

    ebay and keh.com

    Guest, May 18, 2014
  9. RichA

    philo  Guest

    The first listing I put the price on the high side.

    I reduced it by $50 for the second try

    and now on the third try another $50 reduction and it's getting bids.
    The auction will end in a few minutes.

    If it had not gotten bids this time I was going to just keep the camera
    as a spare.

    philo , May 29, 2014
  10. RichA

    Mort Guest