    -Selling off my Olympus cameras and lens collection in 2001 because "digital" was taking over. Then watching the price of old OM lenses skyrocket as Canon FF users snapped them up.
    -Dumping my Pentax(s) and lens collection because I went to the Nikon D300, only (literally, 2 weeks later) to watch as Pentax discontinued their 35mm f/2.0 and 50mm f/1.4 and their prices tripled, even at dealers who had left-over stock.
    -Not buying a Nikon 300mm f/3.5 (older pro lens) for $700 I wanted to use with an Olympus, only to come back the next day to buy it and finding out one of the salespeople in store dropped it, chipping a huge piece off the front lens!

    RichA, May 4, 2014

  2. RichA

    philo  Guest

    I just put my 50D and lens on eBay today and was also going to sell my
    35mm EOS body...but then saw it has a value of $10 so just added it to
    the auction.

    I have a couple of other good cameras and just plain have too much
    equipment here...

    I also got rid of a Zeis Contaflex today.

    I got it from my uncle when he died, but decided to pass it on to his
    grandchildren.

    philo , May 5, 2014

  3. RichA

    Guest Guest

    a working film camera is worth more than $10, although to someone
    looking for a 50d, it just makes the shipping cost more because chances
    are they don't want it any more than you do.

    Guest, May 5, 2014
  4. The other side would be that you kept them and saw prices drop, never to

    Sicne most "neat things" I buy are used or pulled from the garbage, I
    never suffer that sort of thing. Their price will stay constant, since I
    bought way below the original price.

    But the few times I've bought relatively new, their value really only
    remains with me. If I sell that computer, I will get a pittance for it,
    yet to replace it (as a collector's item or just as a commodity computer)
    will cost a lot more. Some people can't stand having "junk" around, but
    if you have any possible use for something in the future, once bought new
    you likely are better off keeping it.

    Michael

    Michael Black, May 6, 2014
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    The local outlet camera store sells 1980's film bodies, working ones, for $5, $10 and $20.

    RichA, May 6, 2014
  6. RichA

    Guest Guest

    kIn article <>,
    must be low end crap.

    decent film slrs go for a bit more than that. a nikon fm2 is easily
    $100 or more in good shape.

    Guest, May 6, 2014
  7. RichA

    philo  Guest

    Nope. I am offering free shipping and the body is so light the added
    cost to ship it is negligible.

    I have a friend who has an antique booth and does a good business
    selling cameras that are considered collector's items. He sells as many
    as 8 a month if it's over 50 years old.

    philo , May 6, 2014
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    I know people who do that too, at an antique show in Toronto. There are people who'll pay money for some. But as benchmarks, I've seen the price of used cameras like the Nikon FE from the 1970's fall from $200 to about $60 and Nikon F3's drop to less than $200.00.

    RichA, May 7, 2014
  9. RichA

    philo  Guest

    philo , May 8, 2014
  10. Double doh!
    Doh, I would have offered them $200 for it and filled the chip with India ink!

    Could shoulda woulda. Years ago I watched my mom *THROW AWAY* her
    Olympus XA because the seal went crumbly. At the time I was only a
    teenager and very into my Rebel XS with kit lens - and my thoughts that
    day were "good riddance, who wants a manual focus camera anyway?"

    DOH!

    Oregonian Haruspex, May 8, 2014
  11. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : -Selling off my Olympus cameras and lens collection in 2001 because "digital"
    : was taking over. Then watching the price of old OM lenses skyrocket as Canon
    : FF users snapped them up.
    : -Dumping my Pentax(s) and lens collection because I went to the Nikon D300,
    : only (literally, 2 weeks later) to watch as Pentax discontinued their 35mm
    : f/2.0 and 50mm f/1.4 and their prices tripled, even at dealers who had
    : left-over stock.
    : -Not buying a Nikon 300mm f/3.5 (older pro lens) for $700 I wanted to use
    : with an Olympus, only to come back the next day to buy it and finding out
    : one of the salespeople in store dropped it, chipping a huge piece off the
    : front lens!

    I can't say about the first two, but blaming yourself for the third one seems
    a bit much. After all, the sales doofus might have dropped it while wrapping
    it up for you.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 10, 2014
  12. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : I just put my 50D and lens on eBay today and was also going to sell my
    : 35mm EOS body...but then saw it has a value of $10 so just added it to
    : the auction.

    My 50D is still in service as the camera I leave at work for emergencies. It's
    also the backup camera my wife and I take along when we drive to Philadelphia
    to visit our daughter. A very good camera in its day.

    Out of curiosity, what lens did you use on your 50D?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 10, 2014
  13. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : I have a friend who has an antique booth and does a good business
    : selling cameras that are considered collector's items. He sells
    : as many as 8 a month if it's over 50 years old.

    Great Caesar! Does that mean that my mint-condition Argus C-3 has a cash
    value?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 10, 2014
  14. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : My friend picked up two of these.
    :
    :
    : http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mzc1WDUwMA==/z/iW4AAOxySFJSFQID/$(KGrHqJ,!lIFI!q52LddBSFQIDl7Cw~~60_12.JPG
    :
    :
    : He is keeping one and might get a few hundred dollars for the other.

    The Mickey Mouse face on the front must be what sells it.

    Interesting hot shoe. Since the back is blocked, you'd have to slide a flash
    on from the front. I don't think any manufacturer would do that today, because
    of the risk that the flash would fall off if it weren't tightened down
    properly.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 10, 2014
  15. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    A couple of years ago I came upon a C3 with 3 lenses (the C3 is an
    interchangeable-lens camera you know--the lenses other than the Cintar
    are really rare) and it went for around $200 IIRC. Wonderful cameras.
    I still have the one my Dad carried through the Pacific during WWII.
    Unfortunately the pictures he took with it have been lost.

    J. Clarke, May 11, 2014
  16. RichA

    philo  Guest

    Yes, it does have a modest value.

    He can often pick them up at rummage sales for $5 or less and get $25 -$35

    There is one right now on eBay @ $36 and getting bids.

    I have an Argus but I'd rather keep it .

    I have at least a dozen flash bulbs left and occasionally take a flash
    shot so that the kids* today can know what it was like to get blinded by
    a photographer.

    * a kid is anyone under 50

    philo , May 11, 2014
  17. RichA

    philo  Guest

    When I got my 35mm Canon EOS I got the EF 28-105 lens and continued
    using it with my DSLR Canon Rebel and then the 50D.

    Though it is hardly a top of the line lens...in good light I've taken
    photos so clear they easily beat my medium format Mamiya C220

    I really love the 50D and the only reason I'm selling it is due to the
    lack of a tilt out viewing screen which I find indispensable for taking
    candid shots.

    Then (as I probably posted a few months ago) I now have unlimited use of
    a Nikon D5200 with two lenses. Considering I now use my G1-X most of the
    time, my wife has taken possession of the Nikon.

    Two very good cameras are sufficient and we have three modestly good
    backup cameras.

    Within three hours I should know if the 50D sells or not.
    I know that with eBay all the bids usually come within the last few minutes.

    philo , May 11, 2014
  18. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On 05/10/2014 03:13 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > :
    : > : I just put my 50D and lens on eBay today and was also going to sell my
    : > : 35mm EOS body...but then saw it has a value of $10 so just added it to
    : > : the auction.
    : >
    : > My 50D is still in service as the camera I leave at work for emergencies. It's
    : > also the backup camera my wife and I take along when we drive to Philadelphia
    : > to visit our daughter. A very good camera in its day.
    : >
    : > Out of curiosity, what lens did you use on your 50D?
    : >
    : > Bob
    : >
    :
    :
    :
    : When I got my 35mm Canon EOS I got the EF 28-105 lens and continued
    : using it with my DSLR Canon Rebel and then the 50D.
    :
    : Though it is hardly a top of the line lens...in good light I've taken
    : photos so clear they easily beat my medium format Mamiya C220

    That was the lens I bought with my first digital SLR, a Rebel XTi. I always
    got good results with it, but I soon realized that it was a bit long for an
    APS-C camera. (When I bought it, I didn't know what an APS-C camera was.) A
    colleague at work suggested I get the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8, which I did. The
    Sigma is built like a tank, but isn't remarkably sharp. That and the 28-105
    are the two lenses I keep with the 50D at work.

    My 50D came with the 28-105's successor, the 29-135. (I would have had to stay
    longer on the wait list to get the body-only version.) I didn't need it, so I
    gave it to my wife. It's a good lens too, but noticeably larger and heavier
    than the 28-105.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 11, 2014
  19. RichA

    philo  Guest

    Well, it did not sell so it looks like I will still have it as a backup
    camera, eBay automatically re-listed it and since there is no charge for
    the listing I might as well try one more time.

    philo , May 11, 2014
  20. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On 05/11/2014 11:59 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > O
    : > :
[...]

    That's "28-135", of course.)

    : > (I would have had to stay longer on the wait list to get the body-only
    : > version.) I didn't need it, so I gave it to my wife. It's a good lens too,
    : > but noticeably larger and heavier than the 28-105.
    : >
    : > Bob
    :
    :
    : Well, it did not sell so it looks like I will still have it as a backup
    : camera, eBay automatically re-listed it and since there is no charge for
    : the listing I might as well try one more time.

    You'd think someone would want a used 50D. It's a good camera and hasn't gone
    totally obsolete yet.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 12, 2014