    low,I didn't have time to defocus and shoot again. I don't know how
    to blur an image in Photoshop, so now I'm out of luck. God I hate
    this camera.

    George Preddy, Oct 21, 2003

  2. George Preddy

    R. Radloff Guest

    Hi !

    Maybe my English is not good enough, but I don't understand, why you hate the
    camera.

    Great picture !

    CUL

    Ray

    http://g2.canaima.de

    R. Radloff, Oct 21, 2003

  3. George Preddy

    Todd Walker Guest

    Do you live in a town of all yellow-skinned people?

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Oct 21, 2003
  4. George Preddy

    Don Forsling Guest

    I can't quite tell if your're kidding or not. It's a great imagine,
    incredibly sharp with zero artifacts, and I woulnd't bother messing with the
    rubber band in her hair at all. Yeah, you're kdding.

    Don Forsling, Oct 21, 2003
  5. George Preddy

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Use the blur filters under FILTERS -- I would suggest the gaussian, but
    start by selecting the over-sharpened areas and use the smudge tools to get
    rid of the artifacts first. You might also wat to lighten the picture
    overall -- but that will do little about the real problem -- too much
    contrast.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Oct 21, 2003
  6. George Preddy

    Crownfield Guest

    over Unsharpened judging by the halos,
    and the sensor needs cleaning.

    Crownfield, Oct 21, 2003
  7. That is a USM-free zone.
    Always.

    George Preddy, Oct 22, 2003
  8. That is a USM-free zone.
    Always.

    George Preddy, Oct 22, 2003
  9. I think I agree there is too much contrast, if I remember right I slid
    it to +0.5 during RAW processing. I'm stuck on a laptop right now
    with a crappy monitor --will have to re-develop sometime for a quality
    monitor.

    George Preddy, Oct 22, 2003
  10. At sunset? Yes.

    George Preddy, Oct 22, 2003
  11. At first I thought he was kidding, but the poor child does look like she's
    jaundice from liver failure.

    - jz

    Jeff Zawrotny, Oct 22, 2003
  12. George Preddy

    Todd Walker Guest

    All SD9 images render flesh tones as yellow. But hey, they're sharp!!!
    Who gives a crap about color accuracy when you can see the hair on a
    zit? ;-)

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    http://www.toddwalker.net/dpblog.htm
    _________________________________

    Todd Walker, Oct 23, 2003
  13. George Preddy

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    Hair that looks like it was hand-drawn with a one-pixel-wide pencil.

    JPS, Oct 23, 2003
  14. Scale it up 3 times for the same Bayer blur. Alternatively, use the
    SD-9's 13.7MP mode.

    George Preddy, Oct 23, 2003
  15. George Preddy

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:55:11 -0000, in this august
    forum, said:
    Eh?

    Take a closer look. Those are JPEG compression artifacts, not USM halos.

    Lionel, Oct 23, 2003
  16. George Preddy

    andrew29 Guest

    Fercrineoutloud, everyone can see the sharpening artefacts in the
    image. Look at the girl's upstretched hand: can't you see the halo
    around it?

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Oct 23, 2003
  17. George Preddy

    Chris Brown Guest

    To my eyes, there is definitely a light-blue "halo" around the edge of the
    hand, which does look rather more like a sharpening artifact than anything
    JPEG should be producing. It's there on the edge of the leaf too, and in
    parts of the hair. IME, JPEG artifacts look more like heat-haze, and don't
    tend to manifest themselves as thin changes in luminousity like this.

    We could be sure if we had access to an unjpegged version (even just a crop
    of the hand holding the leaf), but they certainly look more like sharpening
    artifacts to me.

    It could, of course, be from the lens. I had a Sigma 14mm lens which,
    although mostly decent, did a particularly bad job on high-contrast edges.

    Chris Brown, Oct 23, 2003
  18. SD-9's never render absolute color, so you are actually right. All
    that really matters is the the camera's optical resolution and
    sharpness, color isn't set until the image is developed into any
    number of various originals.

    That particular picture has perfect skin color, I know because I
    personelly matched the shot to the sunset during RAW development. Why
    wouldn't one set the color to match reality perfectly every time? I
    think you are confusing the SD-9 with a JPEG shooter.

    George Preddy, Oct 23, 2003
  19. George Preddy

    andrew29 Guest

    Well, these look like sharpening artefacts, and result in an artifical
    sharpness. I've no way to know what software is doing it, of course.
    or even a well JPEGged version. JPEG doesn't require nasty artefacts.
    Yup. Reckon the SD9 conversion is doing some sharpening, even if
    George doesn't realize it.
    Yeuch.

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Oct 24, 2003
  20. George Preddy

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:32:11 +0100, in this august
    I've just noticed that there's a larger version of his photo there as
    well, which is much less compressed & shows this stuff a lot more
    clearly:
    <http://www.pbase.com/image/22487352/original>
    Looking the little girls hand that's holding the leaf, there's
    definitely a lighter border around it. Looking at this makes me think
    that you might be correct about it being sharpened. OTOH, her hair
    doesn't look sharpened at all. Looking at the really awful bokeh in the
    out of focus areas of the photos (llok at the flowers & the leaves in
    particular), I can't help but wonder if the problem is mostly due to a
    crappy lens.
    Looking at the larger image, I suspect that your guess may well be
    correct.

    Lionel, Oct 24, 2003