My pc game crashes in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I play battlefield 1942 in winxp pro, and when I join a multiplayer server,
    it connects fine but 1-3 seconds after the game actually loads and I'm in
    the game, bf 1942 crashes back to the desktop.

    Here's the kicker: I can play bf 1942 just fine in single player mode
    against the computer, and it doesn't error or crash out. I was playing the
    game fine for almost a year before the problem started 2 weeks ago. When it
    first started, I uninstalled and re-installed the game and it worked fine
    for 1-3 games, then started crashing again and needing a reinstall. After a
    few reinstalls it just stopped working. I even formatted and reinstalled the
    game and after 1 game online it began crashing again.

    I updated my video drivers, all drivers actually. No firewall is blocking
    me. Everything was working AOK for a long time then this started
    happening... Is it possible I have hardware issues and something is starting
    to go bad? I think its very weird its only if I join an online server...
    everything is up to date and proper and this just started happening out of
    the blue!

    Any ideas what might be going on here, given the conditions?

    Thanks all!

    Brian, Apr 10, 2008

  2. Brian

    sandy58 Guest

    Graphics card on it's last legs?

    sandy58, Apr 10, 2008

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Is there a way to test all my hardware to see if anything is going out?

    It's peculiar because I can play just fine in single player mode.

    Brian, Apr 10, 2008
  4. Brian

    why? Guest

    <snip>

    Nice web site you have, http://thanks.com/
    To employees. To peers. To everybody. So say thanks today. Send an
    e-card.

    Maybe you don't own thanks.com although they could have given you
    permission to use thier domain in your email address.

    About address munging
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm

    The nospam, bit needs to go on the right hand side of the @, not the
    left.

    Me

    why?, Apr 10, 2008
  5. Brian

    Pennywise Guest

    I use it to set up games, but directx can be used to test your network
    and show game file/registry errors.

    Start | Run <type in>
    dxdiag
    <enter>

    Goto network.

    To test directplay you need another computer to connect to.

    Pennywise, Apr 10, 2008
  6. Brian

    chuckcar Guest

    Have you run dxdiag to check to see if Directplay is behaving properly
    (or any part of directx. running:dxdiag will allow you to check. *Any*
    problems point to a possibility here).

    Have you tried disabling your startup programs? start->run
    msconfig<enter>.

    chuckcar, Apr 10, 2008
  7. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I found the perp. I was running a kernel level debugger, and it was causing
    Punk Buster (anticheat program) to go bizzerk and error the program. I
    closed the debugger and it finally works again! Thanks!

    Brian, Apr 11, 2008
  8. Brian

    Tony Guest

    Chuck just reads this sort of shit because up in CanaDUH we can't play any
    online games thanks to something called FROGthrottle boxes. We get
    FROGthrottled down to 30 kilobytes per second or less so instant disconnects
    when even trying to attempt to play any online games.

    Tony, Apr 11, 2008