    Googled without any positive success.

    Any pointers appreciated.

    Many thanks

    Guest, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Guest

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I think you'd have to run your own SIP server. Not sure how you'd go about
    it, but out of interest why do you want to..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Give out a personalised SIP address.

    Guest, Jan 5, 2006
  4. Guest

    Tim Bray Guest

    You would need to run a SIP server for the domain pobox.com

    As you don't own the pobox domain, you can't do this.

    If you had your own domain name, then you would need to install your own
    SIP server.

    You could use SER (open source) or Snom 4S proxy (commercial, but free
    for less than 10 users) to do this.

    There are other SIP proxies as well, but these are the ones I use.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 5, 2006
  5. Guest

    Jono Guest

    Can Asterisk be used, Tim?

    Jono, Jan 5, 2006
  6. You certainly could do it this way, but I think you could
    alternatively arrange your VoIP phone (or ATA) has the IP address
    of your own email domain, and avoid running a SIP server.

    You might also want to think of the complications of how you
    might actually dial am email address from a phone (depends on
    the VoIP phone or ATA, but it's going to be a real in the ass
    on some of them). Dialling something like [email protected]
    probably at the limit of what's reasonable of you're using a
    real phone keypad -- is probably
    well over 100 button presses and horribly error prone.
    I use SER (the version included with Solaris 10).

    Andrew Gabriel, Jan 5, 2006
  7. Guest

    Ivor Jones Guest

    message
    [snip]
    Which is why we use SIP providers to give us "normal" phone numbers..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 5, 2006

  8. I've done exactly that here.
    Its really easy, once you have the correct bits... (like everything
    really :) )

    a) you would need to register your domain name
    b) get a SIP registrar (could be Ser, asterisk etc) running on a host
    resolvable to that domain on the Internet
    c) get a device/handset registered to your SIP registrar that will respond
    to incoming calls.

    I chose he easy option and purchased a SIP aware firewall/router that
    includes a Registrar and proxy server. This solves many problems people
    experience getting VoIP working. Its the IX66 from a company called
    Intertex. Superb product.

    Regards,
    Andrew

    Andrew (G0RVM), Jan 5, 2006
  9. Guest

    Tim Bray Guest

    Yes. Its a bit complicated for what the original poster asked for.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 6, 2006
  10. Guest

    Tim Bray Guest

    If you change ISP, your IP address changes.

    I'm sure that dial by IP address is discouraged/forbidded in the RFC's
    anyway.
    Common callers in the address book. For everybody else, just pay the
    telco - not worth pressing the buttons to save a few p.

    [Roll on enum]

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 6, 2006
  11. Guest

    Tim Bray Guest

    Yes. Didn't think of that. Intertex is a SIP server in a router shaped
    box, with a router built in too. They will even work with dyndns if
    you don't have a static IP.

    ProVu have them in stock.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 6, 2006
  12. Guest

    Chris Hills Guest

    Do not forget to create the appropriate srv and naptr dns records!

    Chris Hills, Jan 6, 2006
  13. Guest

    Jono Guest

    Hehe. Was thinking for myself - I already have asterisk, which looks far
    less complicated than SER & Snom!

    What's my SIP address with regards to Asterisk? How do I get Asterisk to
    answer calls at myipaddress?

    Jono, Jan 6, 2006
  14. Guest

    Paul Hayes Guest

    well it's not really any different to running your own email server.
    People call your SIP address (e.g. ) & a DNS lookup
    resolves that to whatever your server's IP address is & the SIP traffic
    is simply sent there. So providing you've got a SIP server listening on
    (usually) port 5060 and it has the domain jonosdomain.com on it then
    it'll work.

    This is how all SIP works, even when you dial in a number such as
    01234456789 on a SIP phone, it'll actually get sent to
    "". People just tend to use numbers as
    the username to make dialling easier & so VoIP phones work as you'd
    expect an analogue telephone to work.

    Paul Hayes, Jan 6, 2006
  15. Guest

    Jono Guest

    Thanks for that, Paul.

    I'd got as far as that, however I can't get my head round dealing with the
    incoming call on asterisk - defining the inbound route & how to make
    whichever extension or ring group actually ring.

    Jono, Jan 6, 2006
  16. Guest

    Paul Hayes Guest

    oh OK. Same here really, I've bought myself a cheapo FXO card from EBay
    but as yet haven't got round to doing anything with it. I guess
    [email protected] would be the easiest place to start but since it's a
    complete Linux distribution (based on CentOs I believe) it'll overwrite
    everything I've got on my Linux server already. Anyway, I'm sure a
    folder full of ".conf" files & emacs is a more fun way of doing it. ;)

    Paul Hayes, Jan 6, 2006
  17. Guest

    Jono Guest

    There is a download of [email protected] which can be installed on existing Linux boxes,
    from sourcforge.

    Jono, Jan 6, 2006
  18. Guest

    Joe Harrison Guest

    OK got that and already running other services OK e.g. sendmail
    OK I think I'd be up for that part too
    This is the bit I don't understand; at present I have an SPA3000 configured
    for Sipgate. Do I then need to add a further set of configgery into the
    SPA3000 to tell it about the new SER/asterisk I would be running? Does the
    Sipgate service carry on working? What about the new DNS records that Chris
    mentioned?

    When I've finished what does it get me? Can I be (say) [email protected] and if
    so what does someone registered with (say) Sipgate key into their phone to
    call me?

    Joe

    Joe Harrison, Jan 6, 2006
  19. I don't think the SPA3000 can register with more than one provider
    on each port (only one of the two ports is useful for this purpose).
    However, if you are running your own SIP server, you should be able
    to configure a permanent registration into it without the SPA3000
    needing to register dynamically, and leave the SPA3000 registering
    with sipgate. You shouldn't need to change the config of the SPA3000
    at all, although you might want to enable receiving incoming calls
    even if registration fails (or if sipgate goes down, you would also
    lose ability to receive calls at [email protected]).
    The same as they do now.

    Andrew Gabriel, Jan 6, 2006
  20. Guest

    alexd Guest

    Isn't it just as simple as creating an extension called 'jono'? You can then
    tell Asterisk what to do with all calls to 'jono', much as you would if it
    was a regular SIP trunk eg from my extensions.conf

    [daytime_sipgate]
    exten => 6402044,1,NoOp(--- ${CALLERID} calling on sipgate (${EXTEN}) ---)
    exten => 6402044,2,LookupCIDName()
    ; looks up CLID in AstDB/cidname/...
    exten => 6402044,3,Dial(SIP/6010&SIP/6012&SIP/6011,45)
    ; extensions 6010 6011 and 6012 ring on incoming calls from sipgate.
    ; Goes to voicemail after 45 seconds
    etc etc

    ie extension 'jono' doesn't have to correspond to a physical phone, it can
    just be pointed to the extensions of your choice.

    alexd, Jan 7, 2006