    adjust automatically, but it hasn't. I've even re-run the network Wizard.
    How do I change that so it recognizes the new shares along with the new
    names?

    John Thomas, Aug 21, 2005

  2. John Thomas

    David {MVP} Guest

    Do you have a router, in your network? Chances are they are coming from your
    old DHCP server? When changing names it's always a good idea to power
    everything down, wait a bit and then start with the internet connection and
    work your way back.

    --
    David {MVP}
    Microsoft Mobile Devices

    benefit of all of us...
    The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

    rights...

    Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
    their life by correcting me.

    David {MVP}, Aug 22, 2005

  3. John Thomas

    John Thomas Guest

    Yes, This is my setup: Cable Internet to a cable modem. That is connected to
    a Linksys wireless router. That has a hardwire to my desktop (which has the
    old images of previous shares). And it sends to a wireless laptop (which is
    having networking problems of its own).

    Im actually trying to rebuild/replace a home network with new equipment. I
    had an old network that was setup very easily. Now, with all new computers
    and equipment... Im having a hell of a time just making things work. But I
    decided to take things one step at a time. At this point, nothing is
    working... except that both computers have Internet. The home network itself
    just doesn't seem to work, even with the Networking Wizard.

    I know Im doing something wrong, and Im sure its very simple. But Ill power
    everything down and start all over from scratch. I need this to work, so Im
    open to any and all advice.

    Thanks.

    John Thomas, Aug 22, 2005
  4. John Thomas

    David {MVP} Guest

    The fact that you can get to the internet suggest that you have a basic
    TCP/IP connection to me. So I would then look to see that you do have "File
    and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" enabled for the Network card you
    are using, on all computers. Then I would suggest going to your desktop and
    right clicking on "My Computer" and then properties, to bring up "System
    Properties" then click on the "Name" tab, and confirm that all computers are
    in the SAME workgroup NAME. Also check to ensure that this name only uses A
    to Z or 0 to 9. This will ensure the best compatibility.

    David {MVP}, Aug 22, 2005
  5. John Thomas

    John Thomas Guest

    Thanks, David.
    I did the shutdown as suggested, waited 15 minutes, and restarted from the
    outside in. But the same images exist. Yes, both computers are using the
    default workgroup name (shame). Also, both have 'file and printer sharing'
    enabled.

    The only changes I have made so far with the setup are:
    * I went into the TCP/IP properties on both computers and changed from the
    default to "NETBIOS over TCP/IP". That was a change suggested on most all
    the 'tips' websites I have visited.
    * In my Zone Alarm I added the range of 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.105 to the
    Trusted Zone. (Although it is currently disabled for testing purposes until
    I can get everything working).
    *I turned the Windows Firewall off. (using the firewall in the router).

    During the network Wizard process, I chose the configuration of: "Other/
    Computers connect through a residential gateway to a cable modem to the
    internet".

    That's it. In my previous home network, all that made everything work just
    fine. But now, I only get Internet. Neither computer sees each other, and
    even the wireless laptop doesn't show the Windows default shares.

    I've looked at most every troubleshooter website and tips listing, but
    nothing seems to work. Im stumped.

    John Thomas, Aug 22, 2005
  6. John Thomas

    David {MVP} Guest

    I believe you may want to go back in an enable the NetBIOS over TCP/IP, I
    think that will fix your problems. Or you may need to edit your host files
    to add the computer names and address to them. I belive that's your problem.

    David {MVP}, Aug 22, 2005
  7. John Thomas

    John Thomas Guest

    I *did* enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, I guess I wasn't clear about that. I
    simply changed from the default to 'Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP'. (it didn't
    work with the default either).

    Also, I know about the HOSTS file. How would I add the computer names to it?
    Could you suggest the appropriate lines for that?

    John Thomas, Aug 22, 2005