My motherboard is shot. Looking for suggestions.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pancho Claus, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. Pancho Claus

    Pancho Claus Guest

    The other day my computer went. Turns out its some piece/fan on the
    motherboard that keeps the computer cool. It's a Dell computer and was
    told I would have to order another motherboard from Dell. Is this true
    or can I get it from some other place?What I would like to do is get a
    new CPU case & motherboard and then move over my dvd rom & dvd burner.
    I'd also like to bring over my 2 hard drives one being partitioned. Is
    all this possible? The video card & audio card & capture card will also
    come over. does any of this sound feasable? I'm trying to keep my costs
    at a minimum. I'm also thinking about going with the AMD 64 processor
    socket 939. What else would I need to make this doable? Any help would
    be appreciated. Also since my only starts up and shuts right off I have
    a question on how to save some stuff. I have a 250 gig hard drive in it
    and its partioned. I don't care about losing whats on the c drive. But
    I do have some stuff on the d & e drive I would like to save and was
    wondering if the data on these 2 drives would still be available to me
    once I get this hard drive into the new unit and reinstall windows on C
    leaving d & e as they are?

    Pancho Claus, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Pancho Claus

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Amiga is the best choice for a home computer.
    Amiga is the best choice for a home computer.
    How would I know if that is true or can you get it from some other place?
    You can't have everything you want.
    You're erroneously presupposing that you are correct.
    I see that you're still playing the parrot, Claus
    Argumentum ad lazarum.
    Classic lack of specificity.
    Why on earth are you trying to keep your costs at a minimum?
    You don't know for certain?
    You have to make that doable, or you want to?
    Ask your friends for help.
    Really? How did you get hold of a question on how to save some stuff?
    *yawn* Who doesn't have a 250 gig hard drive in it.
    Because you are too dumb to care about losing what is on the c drive?
    What else do you want?

    pcbutts1, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Pancho Claus

    Pancho Claus Guest

    An informed inciteful response unlike yours.

    Pancho Claus, Jul 6, 2005
  4. Pancho Claus

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Fallacy of equivocation; a word with two or more different meanings in the
    same argument.

    pcbutts1, Jul 6, 2005
  5. Pancho Claus

    EricP Guest

    Ignore the static, someone with a brain installed will be along in a
    minute and might be helpful.

    EricP, Jul 6, 2005
  6. You can certainly use a new motherboard and processor in a new case. You
    *could* also use a new motherboard in the old case. However, the CPU fan
    failing does not automatically mean a new motherboard is needed, I hope
    they did a little troubleshooting with you before deciding that. It
    could be the processor chip simply overheated and was damaged, although
    many times that will also kill the motherboard too.

    As for the data on the hard drive, you can simply reformat the C:
    partition and reinstall Windows on that, that won't touch what's on the
    other partitions.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 6, 2005
  7. Pancho Claus

    Pennywise Guest

    |> I have a 250 gig hard drive in it
    |>and its partioned. I don't care about losing whats on the c drive. But
    |>I do have some stuff on the d & e drive I would like to save and was
    |>wondering if the data on these 2 drives would still be available to me
    |>once I get this hard drive into the new unit and reinstall windows on C
    |>leaving d & e as they are?

    You can use a recovery program like BartsPE
    http://65.24.134.81/KipSolutions/BootableCDrom/BartsPE.htm
    and delete the windows directories on C:\ then reinstall your OS.
    -You could also just rename the directories-

    You could also run a repair on your OS after your system is built, it
    would then load new drives for the new hardware. But it would be best
    to just start clean.

    You don't need to lose any of your personal data.

    And Amiga is the best computer, I'm only running Windows for the third
    party software support :)

    Pennywise, Jul 6, 2005
  8. Pancho Claus

    willoughby Guest

    Try http://forums.anandtech.com

    You can pull out all of the old stuff in your current computer and put
    it in a new case with motherboard, memory and processor. Just select the
    best motherboard and get decent memory. You probably want to get a
    motherboard with IDE connectors for your old drives. A couple good
    places to buy online if you live in the U.S. www.zipzoomfly.com and
    www.newegg.com There are a few more, but if you go to the first link and
    post in the General Hardware forum then you will probably be provided
    with copious amounts of information.

    Good luck and happy computing.

    willoughby, Jul 6, 2005
  9. Ahem. In my experience I would consider that to be the correct word, spelt
    incorrectly.
    Regarding your imminent computer rebuild, I am offering for a limited period
    a one to one online consultancy experience. This gives, free of charge, the
    opportunity of learning from an expert in his field, in a caring,
    supportive, walk through tutorial.

    nevillenevilleson, Jul 6, 2005
  10. Pancho Claus

    Ron Martell Guest

    Be very careful about changing to a different brand motherboard on a
    Dell PC if that PC came with an OEM version of Windows XP.

    Except for their initial batches of Windows XP systems that the
    shipped in 2001, Dell OEM Windows is SLP "BIOS Locked" and that will
    cause serious problems if you attempt to use that copy of Windows on a
    non-Dell motherboard.

    Prior to March 1, 2005 it was possible to change these motherboards
    for a different brand but since that date Microsoft has decided to
    block the activation of BIOS Locked OEM Windows versions on anything
    but a motherboard from the original OEM.

    If your system was still usable you could determine if your Windows XP
    was an OEM version by looking at the 20 character Product Identifier
    Code, which is shown on the last line of the "Licensed to:" section of
    Control Panel - System - General. If the second segment of that code
    reads OEM then your Windows XP is an OEM version. Note that this
    Product Identifier is not the same as the 25 character Product Key
    used for installation, although it is calculated from it.

    If you have an OEM version of Windows XP then you can determine if
    yours is an SLP (BIOS Locked) OEM version by looking in Accessories -
    System Tools on the Start Menu for an entry for "Activate Windows".
    If there is no "Activate Windows" item on this menu then your OEM
    version is BIOS Locked. Note that some non-OEM versions of Windows XP
    (such as volume licenses) will also not have an "Activate Windows"
    item on the System Tools menu.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Jul 6, 2005
  11. Pancho Claus

    Pancho Claus Guest

    Thanks to everyone who replied with an informative response. I'm not
    concerned with Microsoft and all their activation BS. I have a few
    different copies of XP Pro and won't be using the OEM one. I want to
    get a new case because I'll be getting a stronger processor. A newer
    case that would be more conducive to coll the new processor. What do u
    guys thing of the Chaintech VNF4-Ultra Motherboard. Socket 939.

    Pancho Claus, Jul 6, 2005