    Could it be that the modem is an analoge modem and the telephone
    network i try to dial-in to is a digital network?

    Regards

    Lando Chez, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Lando Chez

    doS Guest

    holy shit....

    did you change the dial up number to the new one on the laptop...

    doS, Jan 18, 2006

  3. Lando Chez

    Lando Chez Guest

    Hi

    Yes, I did change the dial up number on the laptop.

    Regards

    ( why do you say holy shit??)

    Lando Chez, Jan 18, 2006
  4. Lando Chez

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In "Lando
    Quite possible; the phone systems in many offices are digital.
    Ask the folks who operate the phone system in your building.

    Bert Hyman, Jan 18, 2006
  5. You have just described the most common reason for your problem.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 18, 2006
  6. Lando Chez

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Beauregard T. Shagnasty spewed forth:
    And he'd better pray it didn't fry his analog modem!

    Toolman Tim, Jan 18, 2006
  7. Lando Chez

    JB Guest

    Check dialing properties. Do you need to dial a 9 to reach an outside line?

    JB, Jan 18, 2006
  8. Lando Chez

    JB, Jan 18, 2006
  9. Lando Chez

    Lando Chez Guest

    Hi

    Ho, I don't need to dial a 9 o go outside because I am trying to
    dial-in from inside the building. The thing is that when I try to call
    the number from a normal telephone I hear the modem sound.

    Lando Chez, Jan 18, 2006
  10. Lando Chez

    Lando Chez Guest

    Hi

    I forgot to mention that the people from the telephone company
    connected a analoge telephone line to the modem. Although it could be
    that the network is digital the line to the modem is analoge. Can that
    still be a problem? The modem is analoge. The modem is reacting when I
    call it from a normal phone ( cellulair). I can hear the modem sound.
    Does that mean that the modem is still working and can be dial-in to??

    Regards

    ( i hope serious people will react because I really need help)

    Lando Chez, Jan 18, 2006
  11. Dialing your ISP's number from a cellular phone is not a test. Try
    dialing it with a phone plugged into the same jack you are using for the
    computer modem.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 18, 2006
  12. Lando Chez

    Spuds Guest

    Test it yourself. Plug in a spare phone from home. If it works, the line is
    analog.

    Spuds, Jan 18, 2006