    hundreds of items in my inbox folder, as well as them disappearing in the
    Outlook Express inbox folder.

    I want them back ! Is there anything I can do about this?

    john royce, Oct 24, 2009

  2. john royce

    VanguardLH Guest

    Microsoft disabled DAV access back on September 1, 2009. They switched
    to the Deltasync protocol. This forced you to use POP access or use an
    e-mail client that supports Deltasync (Outlook + Outlook Connector
    add-on or Windows Live Mail). So it has been a LONG time since you last
    accessed your Hotmail account, like around 53 days. If you abandon your
    Hotmail account, don't expect e-mails to stay there.

    The default action during a mail poll when using POP is for the client
    to issue a RETR (retrieve) following by a DELE (delete). That means you
    mailbox gets cleaned up (to prevent you from exceeding your disk space
    quota) as you download your e-mails to the local e-mail client. Often
    you can configure the POP to "leave messages on server" which has it do
    the RETR but omit the DELE command. However, then YOU must perform
    periodic cleanup of your mailbox to ensure you don't exceed your disk
    quota; otherwise, no more new inbound e-mails can be received (as there
    is no space for them). Some POP clients let you "delete N days after
    retrieve" to keep your mailbox down to a size under the quota limit.

    The e-mails should be in Outlook Express. Perhaps you decided to use a
    view on the Inbox that hide messages marked as read. Check which view
    you are using.

    Do you have any rules defined in OE? If so, do any of them perform a
    [permanent] delete action?

    A newsgroup that specific focus on OE is:
    microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general

    VanguardLH, Oct 24, 2009

  3. john royce

    chuckcar Guest

    If you leave messages in your inbox on the website, hotmail *will* remove
    them. Create a *new* folder to move the messages to or only use OE for
    hotmail.
    Nope, it's too late, they're gone forever unless you have a copy in OE.

    chuckcar, Oct 24, 2009
  4. Mebbe chucky's counting the Spam/Junk folder as part of the inbox...

    --

    www.snuhwolf.9f.com | http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/
    /___/_/|_/\____/_//_/ \[email protected]_/ \__|\__|\____/\____\_\

    _..._ ___ ___ ___ ___ _..._
    ,' `::. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,' `::.
    : `::: `:: `:: `:: `:: `:::
    : .::: .:: .:: .:: .:: .:::
    : .:::`. .;' `. .;' `. .;'.`. .;': .:::
    : .::: `.' .`.'.: `.' ::`.' :. .:::
    :. .::' ::: : `: .:::
    `: .:: : : .::'
    : .:: . :. .::
    : ::' `: .::.
    .\ `: ,: :. : .::.:
    :.\ :. :.: :`: .' .::.:
    ::`. : :':: : `: : .;'.:
    : `.; :'.:: : :: ;:' ::
    . :' .::. .: .:: :
    : :' ::: :' .:: .
    : `:: : .::
    :' .::. .: .:::
    : .::: ,:. .:. :' .:::
    : .:::,' `:. ,' `:.: .:::
    : .::: ::: ::: .:::

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 25, 2009
  5. john royce

    chuckcar Guest

    No, I'm telling the OP about something I've actually *seen* happen. If you
    leave messages in your inbox on the hotmail website, they *will* be
    deleted within a week once read.

    chuckcar, Oct 25, 2009