    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    mat s. or Sigma Smith

    sharpside.rock, Oct 21, 2005

  2. sharpside.rock

    Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>Hi, I have a question...
    |>
    |>My main email account no longer works, and that is
    |>
    |>That email account is INCREDIBLY important to me. I can tell you the
    |>correct password for that account, but not in a public forum.
    |>
    |>That would prove I'm the owner, I hope. I really, really need that
    |>account back. All of th eweb pages on my server havelinks to that email
    |>account, and I get a fair amount of hits per day (800-1000) and I have
    |>plenty of emails!
    |>
    |>For some reason, I can't re-register it, but when I try and do password
    |>recovery, it says that the account doesn't exist, like what the heck?
    |>
    |>Please, I need some assistance or my account back, with my emails,
    |>ASAP.
    |>Perhaps if a Gmail rep or tech could email me, that would be greatly
    |>appreciated.

    Is your account in the UK?
    If so Gmail.com is now googlemail.com
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/19/1159227&tid=217

    Trax, Oct 21, 2005

  3. sharpside.rock

    clot Guest

    Where you are based may be an issue re this. Gmail in the UK will no
    longer be Google ( as was the case in Germany) due to apparent
    infringement of existing rights. Whether this is the result of the UK
    issue, I do not know, but I hope it may help.

    clot, Oct 21, 2005
  4. sharpside.rock

    Deano Guest

    Deano, Oct 21, 2005
  5. sharpside.rock

    Deano Guest

    Don't know what to say but it's entirely possible some dolt has flipped the
    wrong switch. You really need to mail support.

    It might be useful to have a second gmail account and set up rules to create
    a backup of all email. This article has more and a number of other tips;

    Also it might be useful to not give out your gmail address but something
    that can be rerouted, typically your own domain, to any other address. That
    offers you more control in a situation like this and you wouldn't miss much
    email.

    Deano, Oct 21, 2005
  6. sharpside.rock

    Trax Guest

    |>Trax wrote:

    |>> Is your account in the UK?
    |>> If so Gmail.com is now googlemail.com
    |>> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/19/1159227&tid=217

    |>Does this not apply to new accounts created in the last few days? My gmail
    |>is still @gmail.com.

    Bother to read the link?

    Trax, Oct 21, 2005
  7. sharpside.rock

    EricP Guest

    Your user name is flicking between being available and not available.
    It would seem that the gmail computer is having a headache.

    I hope my gmail names aren't having the same problem. :((

    EricP, Oct 21, 2005
  8. try changing the LINKs to include another email instead of the gmail
    email address ...
    try using the email that your isp provides for you ...
    instead of the gmail email address in the links ...
    hope that is helpful if you need the html codes for changing the LINKs
    send reply and in it use my name at top so I know you're talking to me
    and I will try to help you re do the LINKs ...
    :~0-0~)

    ms smiling bookworm, Oct 21, 2005
  9. sharpside.rock

    Evan Platt Guest

    I'd avoid giving the password to anyone BUT gmail admin. Have you
    tried contacting google?
    I can almost guarantee you anyone here who replies won't be a gmail
    rep

    Evan Platt, Oct 21, 2005
  10. sharpside.rock

    Deano Guest

    No, I'm tired from reading the linux thread.

    Deano, Oct 21, 2005
  11. sharpside.rock

    Deano Guest

    Well I'm not sure you've read it either;

    "As of today, UK Gmail users are seeing 'Google Mail' at the top of their
    Gmail accounts, and Google is warning they *may* lose their '@gmail.com'
    addresses in the future. All *new* signups from the UK will be assigned
    '@googlemail.com' addresses, and existing accounts will be able to use
    either domain for now. Gmail's help pages explain this is related to their
    ongoing dispute regarding the Gmail trademark."

    My impression is that the poster has had his account for some time and will,
    like the rest of us, retain the gmail.com address until further notice.

    Also from gmail's advisory on this matter;

    *What if I'm a UK user who already has a Gmail address? Will I also need to
    change that address?*
    No, this change doesn't affect existing Gmail addresses. For now, our plan
    is only to issue @googlemail.com addresses to new users. Trust that we will
    do the best we can to offer all our users a reliable and consistent email
    experience.

    The new addresses apply for new accounts from 19th October onwards.

    Deano, Oct 21, 2005
  12. sharpside.rock

    Trax Guest

    |>> Bother to read the link?
    |>
    |>Well I'm not sure you've read it either;
    |>
    |>"As of today, UK Gmail users are seeing 'Google Mail' at the top of their
    |>Gmail accounts, and Google is warning they *may* lose their '@gmail.com'
    |>addresses in the future. All *new* signups from the UK will be assigned
    |>'@googlemail.com' addresses, and existing accounts will be able to use
    |>either domain for now. Gmail's help pages explain this is related to their
    |>ongoing dispute regarding the Gmail trademark."
    |>
    |>My impression is that the poster has had his account for some time and will,
    |>like the rest of us, retain the gmail.com address until further notice.
    |>
    |>Also from gmail's advisory on this matter;
    |>
    |>*What if I'm a UK user who already has a Gmail address? Will I also need to
    |>change that address?*
    |>No, this change doesn't affect existing Gmail addresses. For now, our plan
    |>is only to issue @googlemail.com addresses to new users. Trust that we will
    |>do the best we can to offer all our users a reliable and consistent email
    |>experience.
    |>
    |>The new addresses apply for new accounts from 19th October onwards.

    See lot's of info :)

    Drop down to the replies for the confusion factor to come into play.

    "Anyone else confused by the FAQ? Q4 and Q5 are the same ("What if I'm
    a UK user who already has a Gmail address?") but the answer is
    different! Am I missing something? ...."

    Trax, Oct 21, 2005
  13. sharpside.rock

    gordon Guest

    gordon, Oct 21, 2005