    Behind the Scenes Featurette about Alternate Version
    Theatrical Release of Film

    and by the way - The Print is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

    Film Buff, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Film Buff

    jayembee Guest

    Can't wait. This is one of my favorite Westerns (usually
    getting short shrift in various "Best Western films" lists),
    and the best film version of the Wyatt Earp story.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jan 3, 2004

  3. I got an advance copy of this before Christmas, and it's always a big deal
    to get a John Ford film on DVD, especially one of this stature. It's
    interesting how all the changes subtly affect the tone here and there, and
    how Ford's sensibilities are more forward-thinking and artistic than
    Zanuck's audience-pleasing alterations. But both men were acting in their
    own interests, to the best of their abilities, and you've got to admit
    that the release version is still a masterpiece when all is said and done.

    And Victor Mature gives the performance of his life, which is something of
    a miracle in and of itself.

    So what other Fords do we have on DVD right now?

    The Iron Horse (in England, anyway)
    Stagecoach
    Rio Grande
    She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (but no Fort Apache in North America...grr)
    The Hurricane
    They Were Expendable
    Grapes of Wrath
    How Green Was My Valley
    The Quiet Man
    The Searchers
    The Long Grey Line
    The Horse Soldiers
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    The Last Hurrah
    Donovan's Reef

    And, if you feel like it, Birth of a Nation (?) and How the West Was Won.

    swac
    Waiting for 3 Godfathers and Cheyanne Autumn...

    Stephen Cooke, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Film Buff

    TSKO Guest

    I cant wait to get this one....hopefully the ole Best Buy has a copy

    TSKO, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Film Buff

    jayembee Guest

    Well, not until April for GRAPES.
    Also if you feel like it, MISTER ROBERTS and DECEMBER 7th.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Film Buff

    Film Buff Guest

    I'm waiting for

    Wagonmaster
    Wings of Eagles
    The Lost Patrol
    The Informer
    Tobacco Road
    Wee Willie Winkie
    Drums Along the Mohawk

    Film Buff, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Film Buff

    Scot Gardner Guest

    A critic from The San Francisco wasn't kind in his review of the movie:

    MY DARLING CLEMENTINE
    This John Ford Western has been loved and esteemed for at least two
    generations, and when I figure out why, I'll get back to you. Time has
    not been kind to it. Much of it plays as a series of Western cliches,
    shined up, invested with truth and filmed beautifully, but all too
    languorously. There's an unwelcome dose of good old '40s misogyny,
    too -- the good girl/bad girl dichotomy (as represented by saloon singer
    Linda Darnell and honest woman Cathy Downs) is straight out of the film
    noir playbook. And Darnell's hairstyle -- a '40s bouffant, with a Wild
    West inflection -- adds a touch of flat-out (and flat-top) absurdity.
    The good news is that its best element is also its most important, and
    that's Henry Fonda, who plays Wyatt Earp with an amusing, idiosyncratic
    distraction. He's excellent. The DVD is pretty good, too. The image
    isn't pristine, just better than adequate, but the special features are
    superior. It comes with a commentary by the eminent film scholar and
    Ford biographer Scott Eyman, as well as the entire 109-minute "preview
    version'' of the film, which contains 13 extra minutes that producer
    Darryl Zanuck later edited out. There's also a featurette that describes
    and points out the differences between the two versions. Fans of the
    film can't go wrong.

    -- Mick LaSalle.

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/01/04/PKGHB3QKHN1.DTL

    Scot Gardner, Jan 4, 2004