    method of targeting the bad stuff.

    Its a lot less fuss than buying a new disk. Free too,
    but does require intelligent use.

    Jim Watt, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Paul H

    Gladys Pump Guest

    I like your style on this one johns. Some users really do need telling, and
    not pussyfooting around with. Unless of course one wants to charge for
    repeat visits that are completely unnecessary had the correct advice been
    given in the first place. But that's just exchanging one nasty for another.

    Regards,

    Gladys.

    Gladys Pump, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Paul H

    Leythos Guest

    It's good that you consider yourself a Pro, but, while you have some good
    ideas, most of it's not needed and is only a waste of time. If the OP
    doesn't already have Ghost he's not much of a tech to begin with, and the
    clients doesn't need Ghost for such a action.

    If the machine is properly secured and has quality AV software installed
    along with a secured browser and email client then you don't need to ghost
    the machine or buy a new drive.

    What you should have done was explain how to secure the machine, how to
    set IE for secure mode, to use alternative browsers and email clients to
    get a router with NAT instead of the personal firewall (of which McAfee is
    one of the worst AV/FW suites out there)....

    Your solution has limited ability to protect the users.

    Leythos, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Paul H

    JD Guest

    Ebay lol .. you get everything on there card £4 delivery £6 buy more
    than one :)

    It was a good while ago .. cant remember the name of the card "hard
    drive protection card" or something like that ..

    JD, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Paul H

    johns Guest

    Uh .. Bullshit! I service over 1000 PCs daily, and I know
    what I'm talking about. That is why I know that virtually none
    of you has a clue about real security setups.

    johns

    johns, Feb 14, 2005
  6. Paul H

    Leythos Guest

    Yea, based on what I've seen I'm going to really believe you - NOT.

    Since there are 1440 minutes in a day that means you service 1 PC about
    every minute - hardly enough time to even look at the event log.

    Leythos, Feb 14, 2005
  7. Paul H

    Robert Guest

    I too was self employed and I know this all too well. I now work
    in the networking/firewall field.
    Simple. Do not believe them! Users are sheep, they follow blindly and
    don't think about what they are doing. If that pop-up windows is there
    they are going to click on it.

    You could do a few things to help them, then the rest is up to them.

    1. Install the virus protection software
    2. Install the personal firewall
    3. Install better web and email programs
    4. Explain the benefits of not clicking on pop-ups or attachments. Just
    because someone you know sent you an attachment doesn't mean it isn't
    infected. Scan that file before you open it.

    After this you will have to decide to road you are going to travel. I
    would continue to fix their pc and inform them of how they could stop this
    all the while charging them for my time. Sooner or later they will get
    the idea. If not you business is safe.

    --

    Regards
    Robert

    Smile... it increases your face value!

    Robert, Feb 14, 2005
  8. Paul H

    Jim Watt Guest

    But does your pet ferret love you ?

    Jim Watt, Feb 14, 2005
  9. Paul H

    IPGrunt Guest

    Precisely!

    -- ipgrunt

    IPGrunt, Feb 14, 2005
  10. Paul H

    Leythos Guest

    Jim, I never thought we would see a sign of the "UnNamed" one again, you
    don't really think it's that same person do you?

    Leythos, Feb 14, 2005
  11. Paul H

    Jim Watt Guest

    No, this person seems to have been with us for a while,
    dating back to November 2003 and although not
    the brightest bulb on the christmas tree, is not out of it.

    Just some of the rant sounded familiar.

    However, as the second law of thermodynamics implies that
    the entropy of a closed system will increase, one could deduce
    that shit happens; In my experience there is only one solution that
    works in relation to those really annoying people one encounters.

    Jim Watt, Feb 14, 2005
  12. That's really quite impressive - what's that? upwards of 1/4 million PCs per
    year (assuming that you don't need overtime)

    Must be a tiring job.

    Damn.. what's that smell? Did I tread in something..? ;o)

    Mind you, I'd be damned interested to know where to get hold of a legit copy
    of XP Pro, Office 2003, Ghost /and/ a CD writer for $100-$300... seems a bit
    cheap, even at USAian prices.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Feb 15, 2005
  13. Paul H

    winged Guest

    Actually I have been in some countries, where copywrite law is virtually
    non-existent and public copy shops with all of the latest softwares
    available for 5$ a disk.

    In those same countries they'd cut off your hand for stealing, but under
    their law it is not a crime as these shops are public, advertised and
    operate quite openly.

    They cover their women in veils, under god awful heat, while their men
    sit in air conditioned cafes surfing porn.

    I have no idea how any software support model could ever work in that
    environment. While I hate DRM and phone home software, the challenge is
    how one makes a profit and hours writing and maintaining an application
    without it.

    There is open source, and good open source software available, however I
    did not see any open source material being sold, in those locations.
    Our customs agents are very good at ensuring it did not come back into
    the country. :p

    Just today I received an e-mail (supposedly from Michigan, in reality
    from China) promising 80$ bundles or MS Office and XP Pro. Wanna bet on
    odds of ordering software and actually receiving it? The practice might
    even have been legal, in China. You think that 9% MS traffic in China
    (http://isc.sans.org/large_map.php) is licensed/purchased software by US
    standards? If you look at the protocols indicated by SANS that are in
    use, of the 24.6 million official computers in China use a very large
    proportion of these computers use MS OS's. Want to bet many of these
    copies are not legal under US law? I wonder what skewers the European
    network numbers to a prodominace of MS protocols in use.

    Just my observations.

    Winged

    winged, Feb 16, 2005
  14. Paul H

    IPGrunt Guest

    There seems to be a preponderance of spam promising reduced price
    software these days, claiming to be "OEM" copies.

    These are no doubt more bootleg copies from Asia were enforcement of
    US copyright laws is not pursued.

    Don't be fooled, and for pete's sake, do NOT give anyone promising
    cut-rate OEM software any of your banking / credit information.

    There is NO SUCH THING as a free lunch or discounted OEM software
    selling at the prices advertised in this spam.

    -- ipgrunt

    IPGrunt, Feb 16, 2005
  15. Paul H

    Bill Unruh Guest

    And there are countries in which the drinking of alcohol is completely
    uncontrolled. People drink in thestreets, and it is considered wonderful to
    get drunk.
    In those countries they would throw you in jail for years for smoking pot,
    but it is not a crime to sell or drink alcohol. Those shops are public,
    advertised and operate quite openly.

    They advertise their women quite openly and have them dress to incite all
    the men around them and are proud of everyone looking lustfully on their
    own mothers and wives.

    Hmm, I wonder -- does one just get used to the inconsitancies in one's own
    society but revel in pointing them out in someone elses? Nah. Couldn't be.
    Having seen another society, the inconsitancies in one's own society are
    obvious aren't they?

    Bill Unruh, Feb 16, 2005
  16. Erm.. quite. Hence the insertion of "legit" (abbr. for "legitimate")..

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Feb 16, 2005
  17. Paul H

    Paul H Guest

    They cover their women in veils, under god awful heat, while their men
    So it's OK to *force* women to cover up and it is wrong to allow women
    freedom of expression?...hmmm....very progressive.

    Paul

    Paul H, Feb 16, 2005
  18. Paul H

    Paul H Guest

    Just a quick post to say thanks to everyone who posted in this thread (even
    the loonies). You have given me a fresh slant on the problem and a few
    ideas.

    Many thanks!

    Paul

    Paul H, Feb 16, 2005
  19. Paul H

    Jim Watt Guest

    No, I think the point was that it was a matter of different cultures,
    a discussiion of the merits of which is equally off topic;

    Last night it was hard to sleep thinking of the lost income to
    Microsoft ... just think of all the things they could do with it,
    like write good code.

    Jim Watt, Feb 16, 2005
  20. Paul H

    winged Guest

    Your right I WAS off topic and inappropriate.

    It was one of the most significant culture shocks I have ever had. The
    contrasts were memorable. When you see $1000 + software packages for 5$
    Well like a baby in candyland.

    Hey I want another common share payout from Microsoft, if the world
    wants code, let them eat cake..

    Winged

    winged, Feb 17, 2005