    What do I need to do to format my pc to XP Pro x64? I did all the right
    things but when I pressed F to format my C drive, it said that I couldn't do
    it.

    Denise, Jul 2, 2008

  2. Did it say why? I assume from your description that you booted with the cd,
    right? What are the "right things" that you did?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 2, 2008

  3. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Well, the 4th try was a piece of cake.

    The other times, I did the same thing. I'm used to formatting because I'd
    rather format than try to find and remove problems that my pc picks up over a
    few months' time. I'm on it at least 12 hrs a day. This was about my 9th or
    10th format in about 18 months.

    I went into bios and told it to make my dvd drive the first in the boot
    sequence. I put my XP Pro x64 disk in the DVD drive. When my computert
    restarted, it asked if I wanted to boot from the CD and I pressed 'any key'.
    The next few questions were about whether I wanted to format or repair and
    then, press Enter to format and the F to format the C drive. The first 3
    times, it got to 20% and I received a pretty long message that said that I
    can't install Windows XP Pro x64 on that drive because Vista x64 was on it.
    I don't remember the exact wording. I tried it 2 more times and I received
    the same response. I asked a friend about it who has several computers and
    he couldn't get it to install over Vista x64 either. I decided to try one
    more time and it went smoothly along. I can't tell you why. I didn't do
    anything different each time.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Jul 2, 2008
  4. Next time delete the partition and then recreate it. You won't have the
    issue.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 2, 2008
  5. Denise

    Denise Guest

    I didn't want to delete the partition because I have about 150G of files on
    it and I wasn't sure if I'd have enough room on an ext hdd to place them. I
    was going to try to create a partition in the C drive but I wasn't sure if it
    could be done. I'm glad it worked out the way it did.

    Thanks for your help and advice.

    Denise, Jul 2, 2008
  6. Denise

    Tom Lake Guest

    You formatted a partition with 150 GB of data on it? Did you recover that
    data?
    If the data was on another partition, you could've deleted just the OS
    partition
    and recreated that.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Jul 2, 2008
  7. Denise

    Carlos Guest

    Denise,
    Having to reformat every two months is quite uncommon.
    Here are a couple of suggestions that can make your life easier.
    Once you have your installed your OS and put all the necessary drivers, do a
    full backup to an external media.
    Acronis True Image Home is an excellent choice for doing it.
    That way you won't have to install your OS again when things go wrong, just
    bring the image back and you are in business again.
    OS's don't get screwed up by themselves so there must be "things" that you
    do along time that finally break it down.
    So, before installing any new piece of software or hardware, do manually
    create a system restore point.
    That way you will be able to fold back in case new problems show up.
    When you have a problem, analyze very carefully what did you do that might
    have created it. Try to undo your last actions. That's the way to learn and
    gain experience without having to nuke your installation every two months.
    Also once a month, if you find your OS stable and reliable, do an additional
    backup to an external media.
    Finally, visit this NG after the first problem starts.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 2, 2008
  8. I've been using Windows Home Server for this, Carlos. I love it. Faster and
    more "automatic" that Acronis by a significant margin. (And I used to use
    and like Acronis for this.) And restores are quick - either individual
    files, or entire partitions.

    There's a public beta of PP1 which includes x64 Vista support.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 2, 2008
  9. Denise

    Denise Guest

    No, I said that I didn't want to have to create another partition for XP Pro
    x64 because I didn't want to have to move all the files that I had on my D
    drive (a partition on my main drive). It would've been my only option but
    when I tried to format it to XP Pro x64 for the 4th time, it finally worked
    so I didn't have to create another partition. If I remember correctly,
    without a program such as Partition Magic, a drive has to be empty in order
    to create a new partition. I might be mistaken though, but I have XP Pro x64
    installed again and I didn't lose any files.

    Denise, Jul 2, 2008
  10. Denise

    Denise Guest

    It's excellent advice. I have my entire C drive backed up on an external
    hard drive but what I'd like to do is to make Automatic Recovery Disks. I
    just got Acronis True Home so hopefully I won't have to format again. I also
    didn't know how to do a Repair because it wouldn't continue after a certain
    point but I found out that the first time the option comes up to either
    Repair or Format, Format should be chosen and the next time, Repair should be
    chosen. SFC scan might help too, but all of this has been a lesson along the
    way.

    Denise

    Denise, Jul 2, 2008