My computer seems to think it has 2 processors!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Phred, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Phred

    Phred Guest

    Here is an excerpt from the output of a WinXP Pro systeminfo command:

    System Manufacturer: VIA
    System Model: P4VT8
    System type: X86-based PC
    Processor(s): 2 Processor(s) Installed.
    [01]: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5
    GenuineIntel ~2806 Mhz
    [02]: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5
    GenuineIntel ~2806 Mhz
    BIOS Version: AMIINT - 10
    Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory: C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    System Locale: en-au;English (Australia)
    Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
    Time Zone: (GMT+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
    Total Physical Memory: 255 MB
    Available Physical Memory: 93 MB
    Virtual Memory: Max Size: 874 MB
    Virtual Memory: Available: 545 MB
    Virtual Memory: In Use: 329 MB
    Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys

    As you can see Winders seems to believe there are 2 processors (I wish).
    Here is the output of Intels Processor ID Utility for Winders:

    Intel(R) Processor Frequency ID Utility
    Version: 5.6.20030609
    Time Stamp: 2004/02/25 07:52:36
    Number of processors in system: 1
    Current processor: #1
    Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80C GHz
    Type: 0
    Family: F
    Model: 2
    Stepping: 5
    Revision: 5
    L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
    L1 Data Cache: 8 KB
    L2 Cache: 512 KB
    Packaging: FC-PGA2
    MMX(TM): Yes
    SIMD: Yes
    SIMD2: Yes
    NetBurst(TM) Microarchitecture: Yes
    Expected Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    Reported Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    Expected System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz
    Reported System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz

    As you can see it has correctly identified the (only one) processor. Except
    systeminfo says the chip is Family 15 and the Intel utility says Family F -
    I have no idea what that means or its relevance.
    The computer dosen't seem to be suffering any problems from this, although,
    I must say it has had a few strange little quirks. Nothing I could realy
    point a finger at, just a few wierd things, and I am just a little worried
    there may be probs down the road

    I'm considering a clean install as, thanks to Harrison in this NG, I now
    have
    a bootable XP install CD with SP1a and all the latest hotfixes pre applied.

    Perhaps there is something in CMOS not set correctly that caused winders to
    incorrectly identify the processor when I did the initial install (?).

    This Comp aso dual boots to Mandrake 9.2. Any one know of a command under
    linux that will identify a processor?

    Mother board is an ASRock P4VT8.

    Thanks.
    (confused) Andy

    Phred, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Phred

    Anonymous Guest

    Phred.......
    Must be a conspiracy mate. Dr. Sherg's is onto you for all those nasty
    emails to the CT :)
    or maybe the nut from Philly eh.

    Anonymous, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Phred

    Alien Zord Guest

    The latest Intel P4 processors feature hyper-threading. For multi-threaded
    applications this behaves as 2 processors working in parallel.
    http://www.intel.com/technology/hyperthread/

    So if your CPU utility is multi-threaded then it sees 2 processors, if its
    not then it only sees one.

    Alien Zord, Feb 25, 2004
  4. Phred

    Andy T Guest

    Thanks Zord! That seems to be it. See my reply to "trout" above.

    Andy T, Feb 25, 2004
  5. <massive snippage>

    Well, you've got HyperThreading turned on in the BIOS.

    And so you effectively have two processors. For smaller values of
    "effective" than a real second processor would e.

    Nothing's broke, it's working as designed. But if this REALLY
    bothers you, go into the BIOS and disable HyperThreading.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Phred

    tommy johnson

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    i have the same computer you do mine was given to me by some one replacing thers i need a owners manual and mother board schematic can you help my e-mail is thanks

    tommy johnson, Dec 24, 2007