My computer crashes when I plug devices into the USB ports

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by gvdana, Sep 15, 2007.

  1. gvdana

    gvdana Guest

    My computer has recently started crashing whenever I plug a flash
    drive or either of my two digital cameras into the USB ports. Upon
    plugging the devices in, I get a fleeting blue screen with a lot of
    text, and then my computer reboots. It then tells me that my computer
    has recovered from a serious error and gives me the following error
    message:

    BCCode: 35 BCP1: FF718700 BCP2: 00000000 BCP3: 00000000 BCP4: 00000000
    OS_ver: 5_1_2600 SP:2_0 Product 256_1

    This problem started after I moved to a new University in South
    Africa, where they installed McFee Virus scan and some other software
    to allow me to access the network. When I took the computer back to
    IT, they told me it had nothing to do with what they did. Their work
    around was that I go to the toolbar and "safely remove hardware" and
    remove my Z drive, which is my CD rom drive. Once this "hardware" is
    removed, then I could plug devices in again, for one day.

    Then the crashing started again.

    I do not want to take my computer to a repair place because I am in
    South Africa and will be home in a month. Is there any explanation for
    why my computer is crashing and how can I work around it?

    Thanks.

    gvdana, Sep 15, 2007

  2. gvdana

    Paul Guest

    The first thing I'd do, is go to Control Panels:System:Advanced:Startup and Recovery
    and turn off Automatically Restart. That way, the blue screen will remain
    stable, while you take notes. Untick the box in the picture here.

    http://www.dansdata.com/images/io031/snr_280.jpg

    An additional piece of information, that might have been visible,
    is the piece of code where the error happened. For example, in this thread,
    the error seems to be in "mpfirewall.sys",

    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.html?forumID=47&threadID=177761

    and the first reply mentions there is a patch from McAfee.

    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=47&threadID=177761&messageID=1809021

    It makes it easier to match the error symptoms, if you have the name of
    the driver, such as Personal Firewall Plus (mpfirewall.sys) mentioned
    in the thread. Making the blue screen stand still, may make the name of
    the driver or code, more obvious.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 15, 2007

  3. gvdana

    ganad Guest

    I did what you suggested and read the text on the blue screen. It was
    standard about checking programs that were recently installed (McAfee
    Virus Scan and Ad-Aware Personal). The technical info was STOP:
    OX00000035 (OX8259FD30, OX00000000, OX00000000, OX00000000). I'm
    tempted to uninstall both programs and see if that fixes the problem.

    ganad, Sep 16, 2007
  4. gvdana

    Paul Guest

    You can look up "stop" codes here. 35 is "NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS".

    http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

    What I wanted you to do, is get the name of the driver or code that
    caused the error. It helps if you can lay the blame on a particular
    program, as that increases the odds of fixing it.

    Also, you can use the name of the driver in a Google search or try
    www.altavista.com and search there. That is where I found a reference
    to a patch for McAfee. With a patch, you might be able to fix the
    problem, without removing any programs.

    Note that antivirus software doesn't always remove nicely. Some
    packages are very stubborn and cause no end of problems when
    you try to uninstall them. If they were easy to uninstall, the
    viruses would just uninstall them :)

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 16, 2007
  5. gvdana

    Jerry G. Guest

    Try uninstalling all the anti-virus software for a test. If the fault
    goes away, then install back the anti-virus software without any
    features. It may be the firewall part of the anti-virus software that
    you installed.

    Windows has a firewall that would work reasonably well. Technically, you
    don't need any others. If you connect to the internet through a router
    and the router has a NAT filter, which it should, there is no need for
    you to have a firewall operating in your computer. You only need a good
    anti-virus software.

    A good outboard hardware firewall is a good solution. Firewall software
    can be very resource demanding, and adds to slowing down the computer,
    and using resources.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Sep 16, 2007
  6. gvdana

    sandy58 Guest

    Bin the MacAfee. Chances are it's clashing with your (previous/
    present) security software.

    sandy58, Sep 17, 2007