    Likes Received:
    0
    Recently I moved from New Jersey to New Mexico. When I got here I signed up with a new ISP and bought an Actiontec Modem/Wireless Router. I hooked it up to my desktop in my room and I could not access the internet. I called my ISP and they sent a technician to my house to check out my problem. He hooked up his laptop to my modem and ihe had no problem accessing the net. He said it was a problem with my computer and he couldn't fix it because it wasn't his job. I unhooked the modem/router and hooked it up to the desktop in the office of my house. It worked fine, as you can tell, or I wouldn't be writing this message. Both computers are running XP home edition SP2. After I got the internet working on the other computer, I purchased a Linksys Wireless Receiver. I hooked it up and it has no problem communicating with the router, but it says internet cannot be found. I know it is a problem with my computer. The computer not running it is a Compaq Presario. I tried releasing my IP and renewing it, I even tried WinSockFix. Please help. I got to an online school and can no longer wait for my computer to work.

    BrianKid, Nov 22, 2006

  2. BrianKid

    BrianKid

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2006
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Update

    Right now I am on the computer that doesn't work. I am in safe mode and am having no trouble accessing the internet. Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?

    BrianKid, Nov 23, 2006

  3. BrianKid

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Now i know this for a fact.

    There is certain spyware that will reduce and possible prevent internet access from programs other than itself, it also blocks outbound network connections.

    The simplest way to prove that it is not your computer is to format it. And if it still doesn't work then you know its hardware..

    unholy, Nov 23, 2006
  4. BrianKid

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Check for unconfigured devices...

    BrianKid: I would first check the device manager in the System Manager to see if all your installed hardware is functioning properly. Look for yellow notices. If you have everything looking good, meaning all devices are functioning properly, it's still worth considering doing a windows update (if the Internet connection functions enough for that) to look for newer drivers, or even using your other computer to search for newer drivers for the non-functional computer's network devices (NIC card, etc.). Please note that I don't think device manager displays all it's status information in safe mode. You should first check it with a normal user logon.

    You can also check your browser settings, to see if they are set to automatically connect to a LAN. If everything works in safe mode, but not under a normal user login, I would suspect a driver issue - safe mode loads a default set of good drivers. I bet you have an IRQ conflict or some other sharing issue. You might even be able to fix it in the BIOS when you boot up, by disabling non-used features such as an installed dial-up modem.

    Good luck. :stupido:

    bigal, Nov 23, 2006
  5. BrianKid

    BrianKid

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2006
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks Guys

    I'm really glad I went here for help. I'm about to try your idea, I'll post an update after I do it.

    Thanks again.:veryprou:

    BrianKid, Nov 24, 2006
  6. BrianKid

    BrianKid

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2006
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    I can't figure out what's wrong.

    I started my computer normally and check the device manager, but I don't think anything was wrong. I ran Adaware and quarantined 444 objects, but still nothing. Do you have any other suggestions?

    BrianKid, Nov 24, 2006
  7. BrianKid

    BrianKid

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2006
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    I was just thinking...

    Would it be possible for me to check what my drivers are while in safe mode and then switch the drivers in normal start up? Might that work? I know it's not just mu USB receiver. The modem/router didn't work for me either.

    Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
    BrianKid, Nov 24, 2006
  8. BrianKid

    BrianKid

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2006
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks Guys

    Unholy, I used your idea. I tried everything else, but I ended up using Compaq System Recovery. But nothing good ever happens to me, so now my Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 card won't work. Oh well. I'll save that for another post. :wink:

    BrianKid, Nov 25, 2006