Must be going Mad

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Bri, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. Bri

    Bri Guest

    Hi All,

    I am studying for 70-291 having passed, 70-270 and 70-290, and have a lab
    setup with MOC classroom London as DC and Perth as Member Server. When I
    log on to Perth with Administrator Account and try to "manage my server" I
    do not have the privilages!!. Sure enough when I gpresult I find
    Administrator is not a member of Administrators only Builtin/Users. I have
    tried everything I can think of to solve this. gpresult for Administrator on
    London DC shows the correct groups as it does on other Member Servers i.e.
    Glasgow or Brisbane.

    I am authenticating with the domain OK as I can reset passwords and then log
    on with the new password.

    What could be going on?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards
    Bri

    Bri, Jan 19, 2006

  2. Bri

    Talyn Guest

    What does the Member servers event log have to say? Are you pointing to a DNS server that knows about the domain you are trying to authenticate to? Have you ran a netdiag to see if it will provide any information on the status of the connection within the domain from that member server?

    Make sure you can ping the domain controller and get a correct reply. ie ping dc you should get a reply with the complete domain name for dc. (dc.domain.local) or something of such. If you are not then chances are your DNS setup isn't functioning correctly and the member server isn't fully talking to the domain.

    Talyn

    Talyn, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Bri

    andrewteg Guest

    Bri,

    I'm getting ready to take the 70-270 next week and was wondering if you
    or anyone else recall what grade you need to pass this and any last
    week study tips you can offer :)

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    andrewteg, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Bri

    molsonexpert Guest

    "what grade"? Like, you mean, a B- or a C+? As far as I'm aware, all MS
    exams having a passing mark of 700. Generally considered to be out of
    approximately 1000, but I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect
    score of 1000.

    As long as you know the material well, you'll do fine. have you written
    before? this will almost certainly be the easiest one you'll write.

    good luck.

    steve.

    molsonexpert, Jan 20, 2006
  5. Bri

    Andrew Guest

    Thanks Steve ... I took the VB6 exam (70-176) about 3 years ago and did
    well but haven't taken any cert tests since then so I was just reading
    up to see what if anything had changed about the tests in the past few
    years.

    Here's hopin they don't get too in-depth on Remote Access Services ...
    I can't ever keep all that stuff straight so I guess I'm just stressin
    because I know I have a weak spot although I just noticed that the MS
    Prep Guide doesn't even mention that one specifically so I guess I'll
    just stick to studying what is on that :)

    Thanks again,
    Andrew

    Andrew, Jan 20, 2006
  6. Bri

    Bri Guest

    Hi Talyn,

    Thanks for your input. When I checked the event viewer I discovered that
    the machine's computer account could not be found. The computer could be
    seen on the network no problem. I think it was the SID that was the
    problem. I logged on locally and departed from the domain then changed the
    SID then rejoined the domain having first deleted and then recreated the
    computer account in active directory.

    Every thing works fine now.

    I think it may have been caused by using copies of virtual machines.

    Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

    Bri

    Bri, Jan 21, 2006