    unless I use a real email address :-(

    Any way around this?

    TIA

    John Stubbs, Sep 27, 2003

  2. John Stubbs

    Boomer Guest

    Read their FAQ

    http://news.individual.net/faq.html#5.3

    Boomer, Sep 27, 2003

  3. John Stubbs

    Richard Guest

    It's also legitimate to use as a spam trap.
    No spammer in his right mind is gonna send his stuff there.
    Since that is a legit addy and they get spam reports by the millions, who
    cares?
    Put your tax dollars to work for you.

    Richard, Sep 27, 2003
  4. John Stubbs

    Guest Guest

    Wanna make a bet? I'm sure at least a few who use address harvesting
    software to grab addresses off Usenet posts will now bw sending spam
    there, thanks to you.

    :)

    Guest, Sep 27, 2003
  5. This is the Flibbydabby Dee Service of the BBC, & on Sat, 27 Sep 2003
    10:47:07 +0000, reanimator uttered this:
    JHC, no wonder they call him Richard the St00pid.

    "furrfu"

    William Poaster, Sep 27, 2003
  6. John Stubbs

    Jimchip Guest

    It's not 'legitimate' to use an email address owned by someone else,
    St00pid.
    [snip rest of retarded post]

    Troll-o-meter: "Richard" = Richard Bullis; Category = Kook
    -----------------------
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    -----------------------
    /\

    Don't listen to "Richard". If there is ever any truth to what
    he says it is for the same reason a broken clock is correct twice a day.

    ---*For More Information On NetKook Richard Bullis*---
    http://www.lart.com/rtsfaq/

    Jimchip, Sep 27, 2003
  7. John Stubbs

    anthonyberet Guest

    The problem with that is that if anyone innocently tries to mail you, when
    you have that reply address, it could have 3 negative results. Firstly, the
    legitimate mail could be treated as spam, wasting the user's ISP's time.
    Secondly, if may be weeded out by staff at wasting their time.
    Thirdly of course, it means the sending user might not realise their mail
    has not got to you.
    Why not use a legitimate, but throw-away email address, and use filtration
    to screen out the spam? -This is what I do, and I find it 100% effective,
    and you could still mail me, if you wished.
    bounce.
    Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:
    http://vote.sparklit.com/web_poll.spark/780772
    anthonyberet

    anthonyberet, Sep 27, 2003
  8. John Stubbs

    John Guest

    Why not use a legitimate, but throw-away email address, and use filtration
    Where do you get this throw away address?

    Is it a Yahoo address or something?

    John, Sep 27, 2003
  9. John Stubbs

    Richard Guest

    Ahhhhh, ain't it a shame? do you know what that addy is? It's where you send
    spam reports to, dipshit.
    UCE= "Unsolicited Commercial E-mail".
    So a spammer sends mail there. Saves me the trouble of doing it.

    Richard, Sep 28, 2003
  10. John Stubbs

    Richard Guest

    In this particular case, it is legitimate to use it.
    Check with your ISP and news service, I'll bet they allow it.

    Richard, Sep 28, 2003
  11. John Stubbs

    Richard Guest

    anthonyberet wrote:

    The spammer is wasting my time by sending me the crap I don't want.
    If anybody replies to THAT addy thinking it actually is a person's personal
    addy, they need some help.
    No you're not wasting government employee time by somebody sending personal
    mail to it because that is their job and that's what they get paid for.

    Richard, Sep 28, 2003
  12. John Stubbs

    Sharon Guest

    I have the same news server and had the same problem. Someone
    recommended a privacy.net email address to use for newsgroups and that
    works. Here's the link: http://www.privacy.net/email/
    See my email address on here...basically you just pick a number and
    insert it and start using it. It works like a charm.

    Good Luck,
    Sharon

    Sharon, Sep 28, 2003
  13. John Stubbs

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Set your e-mail address to use something that is valid like
    The domain is valid even if the address
    isn't.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Sep 28, 2003
  14. John Stubbs

    John Guest

    .basically you just pick a number and
    Can you pick ANY number and use with that address?

    John, Sep 28, 2003
  15. John Stubbs

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Sep 28, 2003
  16. John Stubbs

    Boomer Guest

    He would lose his account if he did that.

    Boomer, Sep 28, 2003
  17. John Stubbs

    Bri. Guest

    Boomer typed...
    [ Doc Jeff ] = TROLL

    Bri., Sep 28, 2003
  18. John Stubbs

    John Guest

    Did you read the link Sharon posted?
    yes an it says this:

    What Im not understanding is..... can I use
    "me63401"...... a number that big? Or must i use the
    range specified above?

    John, Sep 28, 2003
  19. Hint: "the following have...been set up".

    What do you perceive the advantage of the me63401 to be? If it's just
    a matter of "art", it's not exactly creative -- it's just a number.

    Why not just use the ones the owners tell you to use?

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 29, 2003
  20. John Stubbs

    Boomer Guest

    Thanks, Blinky.
    I just got back online. I would have answered the same. I read the
    statement, at privacy.net, the same as you do.

    Boomer, Sep 29, 2003