    I would rather take big photo files and resize them, just wondering if
    there is a program that resizes photos in quantity rather than one at a
    time.

    ace, Dec 13, 2006

  2. ace

    Pete Guest

    JpegSizer is the ultimate shrinking machine...

    http://www.tangotools.com/jpegsizer/?s=ng

    HTH

    Pete

    Pete, Dec 13, 2006

  3. ace

    ray Guest

    imagemagick

    ray, Dec 13, 2006
  4. ace

    if Guest

    Funny how all the questions have the same answer.... Irfanview.

    Batch conversion mode: you can resize, either to a fixed size, percentage
    size, or to a regularized width or height. Also choose any output format,
    set jpeg quality level, etc. Also nice for converting raws to tiffs if your
    picture editor doesn't understand your camera format.

    if, Dec 13, 2006
  5. ace

    Ken Lucke Guest

    Or, if you're on a Mac, GraphicConverter. Been around forever,
    constantly being updated. I don't know a Mac user that should be
    without it. A complete SET of Swiss Army Knives of graphics stuff.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 13, 2006
  6. Microsoft has a Powertoy program for XP that will resize photos through
    Windows Explorer. It is simple to use. Just choose your files, right
    click and select "Resize" and you will see a dialog box that lets you
    select a preset size or you can customize the size. I use it all the
    time. The file you need is: imageresizerpowertoysetup.exe You can get
    it on Microsoft's web site.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Dec 13, 2006
  7. ace

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Irfanview will do that in a batch mode. Used it
    to take 3000 files from 8 mp to 2 mp.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Dec 13, 2006
  8. ace

    Bucky Guest

    I second this.

    Bucky, Dec 13, 2006
  9. ace

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Yes - but isn't he using that other op. system?

    Neil Ellwood, Dec 13, 2006
  10. ace

    fauger Guest

  11. I second that. Powertoy has a lot of nice features and they integrate
    into the window's system so you forget they are not part of the default
    system. Being able to select a group (contiguous or not) and do a group
    resize (it also renames the new file with a size indictor in addition to the
    original name) file keeping the original is great.

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 13, 2006
  12. ace

    ace Guest

    Thank you all, Downloaded the power box toy from microsoft and it does
    exactly what I wanted.

    ace, Dec 13, 2006
  13. ace

    ray Guest

    Too bad. It works quite well as does imageindex - I use it for preparing
    online photo galleries.

    ray, Dec 13, 2006
  14. ace

    ray Guest

    Ditto imagemagick for Linux - and it's free.

    ray, Dec 13, 2006
  15. Sometimes less is more. The Powertoy that does this is small (521k),
    allows resizing from most dialog boxes that show file lists, is
    customizable and, best of all, it is free! You should check out the
    other Powertoys too. They are quite handy and useful.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Dec 13, 2006
  16. ImageMagick works under Windows, OSX, Solaris, Fedora Core (Linux) and
    FreeBSD out of the box (downloadable binaries). It works under other
    operating systems too, if you're capable of compiling it yourself.

    All the other tools mentioned are GUI-based, which might or might not
    be what ace wants. When I think "quantity", I think command line tools,
    which are typically a lot easier to build a (semi)automated workflow
    around.

    Toke Eskildsen, Dec 13, 2006
  17. ace

    cb3c Guest

    cb3c, Dec 13, 2006
  18. ace

    if Guest

    Irfanview works in command line mode too. Useful parameters:

    /convert=filename convert input file to 'filename' and close IrfanView
    /resize=(w,h) resize input image to w (width) and h (height)
    /resize_long=X resize input image: set long side to X
    /resize_short=X resize input image: set short side to X
    /resample for resize: use Resample option (better quality)
    /jpgq=X set JPG save quality

    Example use:

    i_view32.exe c:\*.jpg /resize=(500,300) /resample /convert=c:\temp\*.jpg

    if, Dec 13, 2006
  19. ace

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Don't forget its more-solid cousin: GraphicsMagick. It's a fork from IM
    focused on stability, image quality, and speed.

    Paul Mitchum, Dec 13, 2006
  20. ace

    Aaron Guest

    I use a shell script paired with ImageMagick under OS X to automate
    the application of my small copyright note to batches of images. It's
    fast and the quality is good.

    I also use another shell script along with exiv2 to rename files with
    the EXIF title, normalized with no spaces or punctuation. Only type
    titles once!

    I'm more than willing to share said scripts with the group if anyone
    would find them useful.

    Aaron, Dec 14, 2006