    ip address 1.2.200.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

    Thanks,

    Tristan Rhodes

    Tristan, Apr 11, 2005

  2. :Is this possible with a Cisco 6506 switch? My question is: Can you
    :use multiple (more than 1) secondary IPs on a VLAN interface?

    The 6506 as a *switch* does not have IP addresses for VLANs
    (except perhaps for the management vlan.)

    The 6506 with a routing card in it that is supporting IOS allows
    multiple secondary IPs for VLAN interfaces [unless for some
    reason they removed that facility in a later IOS.]

    Walter Roberson, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Tristan

    cc Guest

    Hi,

    For the Cat6k switch, you can run into the following mode:

    1. Hybrid , A layer 2 box with Layer 3 MSFC (CatOS + IOS)
    2. Native IOS, A Layer 3 box where the sup and the MSFC driven by Naive
    IOS.

    In Hybrid:
    The sup will have its own management sc0 interface. And the MSFC, is
    like a router, you can have different IP addresses assigned to
    different Layer 3 Vlan interfaces.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_8_4/confg_gd/routing.htm

    Hope it helps,

    Cheers,
    CC

    cc, Apr 12, 2005
  4. If the 6506 has an MSFC and is running native IOS, that distinction is
    no longer true.
    Nope, it's still possible.

    Francois Labreque, Apr 12, 2005
  5. Tristan

    Tristan Guest

    Yes, we have a supervisor card (MSFC2). I believe it is running in
    hybrid mode, since the switch part is running CatOS and the router part
    is running IOS.

    Thanks for the information guys. We are converting from Avaya to Cisco
    equipment. It sounds like I will be able to use several (more than 2)
    IPs on a single VLAN interface.

    Tristan Rhodes

    Tristan, Apr 12, 2005