multiple IP-Segments each port

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Werner Ginzky, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. Hallo,

    I do not know much from cisco-switches, but got problems with
    our support-team managing our cisco-switches.

    We have 6 ip-segments, like

    10.50.16.0 255.255.255.0 VLAN 2
    10.50.32.0 255.255.255.0 VLAN 3
    10.50.48.0 -"- VLAN 4
    10.50.64.0 -"- VLAN 5
    10.50.112.0 255.255.255.0 VLAN 9

    All of this segements, except one, are situated on fixed locations.
    For example:

    building 1 floor 1 and 2 VLAN 2
    building 1 floor 3 and 4 VLAN 3
    building 1 floor 5 and 6 VLAN 4

    Now we want, that VLAN 9 is available on all floor from building 1
    beneath the other VLANs. For example:

    building 1 floor 1 and 2 VLAN 2 + VLAN 9
    building 1 floor 3 and 4 VLAN 3 + VLAN 9
    building 1 floor 5 and 6 VLAN 4 + VLAN 9

    On each port off the switches should be two VLANs available.

    Our supportteams said, this couldn´t be made. They say, we only can
    make all VLANs to all ports available. Is that correct?

    Sorry, my English isn´t the best, I hope I explain my question well.

    How could it be done?

    Thanks for helping.

    Regards,
    Werner

    Werner Ginzky, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Hello, Werner!
    You wrote on 13 Oct 2004 00:24:04 -0700:

    WG> Now we want, that VLAN 9 is available on all floor from building
    WG> 1 beneath the other VLANs. For example:

    WG> building 1 floor 1 and 2 VLAN 2 + VLAN 9
    WG> building 1 floor 3 and 4 VLAN 3 + VLAN 9
    WG> building 1 floor 5 and 6 VLAN 4 + VLAN 9

    Normally it's not a good design. You are getting campus-wide VLAN and all the
    problems which goes with it.

    WG> On each port off the switches should be two VLANs available.

    WG> Our supportteams said, this couldn´t be made.

    It depends what do you mean under "two VLANs available". Do you plan to use
    equipment which supports 802.1q? If not, and you are looking for untagged
    traffic from both VLAN's than the answer is No. Unless you are running some last
    century stuff which still has multi-VLAN feature.
    If indeed you are going to use 802.1q capable equipment (VoIP phones, wireless
    access points, etc) than the answer is Yes, you can provide more than one VLAN
    per port.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Werner Ginzky

    Peter Guest

    Hi Werner,
    The "problem" here is that Switches are Layer 2 management devices,
    and VLANS have properties that span layer 2 (Ethernet frame details)
    and layer 3 (IP Addressing).

    It really comes down to exactly what Cisco H/W and S/W your site uses
    and if all your workstation switches were L3 capable, then you may be
    able to do this, but with just layer 2 switches you are limited in
    this area.

    Sorry............pk.

    Peter, Oct 15, 2004