    greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mike

    Guest, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 9, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Since each license supports 2 dual core processors, could I buy and configure
    4 copies of x64 and configure one installation with 4 licenses? Maybe I'm
    thinking way too far out of the box....who Knows.
    Mike

    Guest, Sep 9, 2005
  4. Hello Mike,
    The question is are we talking about Windows XP Pro X64 edition?
    If so the OS supports two physical processors. So you would only see two
    physical, plus two logical for the dual core on those two physical.
    To see 8 physical processors you need to use Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
    Edition x64 edition, you would then see the 8 physical processors, plus the
    8 logicals processors for the dual-core.
    Additional copies does not allow you to see more processors.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2FrYWxpc3Q=?=" <>
    <Subject: Re: Multiple Dual core processor...
    <Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:58:05 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Since each license supports 2 dual core processors, could I buy and
    configure
    <4 copies of x64 and configure one installation with 4 licenses? Maybe I'm
    <thinking way too far out of the box....who Knows.
    <Mike
    <
    <
    <"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
    <
    <> Charlie Russel provides some useful information on this topic:
    <> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/06/27/56138.aspx
    <> --
    <> Andre
    <> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <> FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <>
    <> <> > I'm in the process of pricing out a new workstation and was wondering
    if
    <> > x64
    <> > supports more than 2 dual core opteron processors. I'm considering the
    <> > Tyan
    <> > Thunder K8QW (S4881) 4 port board with the option of the expansion to
    add
    <> > 4
    <> > more ports. A total of 8 dual core Opteron 875 processors. Is this
    <> > possible?
    <> > I've read that x64 can only support 2 dual core cpu's maximum. Is there
    <> > optional license's avaliable for multiple cpu's above 2? Any help
    would be
    <> > greatly appreciated.
    <> > Thanks,
    <> > Mike
    <> >
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 9, 2005
  5. Speaking of some testing I have just recently finished -- a dual
    processor system (Dell WS-670) with two dual core, hyperthreaded Xeon
    chips will report 8 processors with either of Windows XP Pro X64 or
    x86 versions. But if you had a 4 socket motherboard you would only be
    able to see the processors in two sockets (as I understand it). As
    Darrell mentioned below, you would need one of the Windows Server
    editions to see the processor threads in the third and fourth
    processor sockets (and in the second set of four as well)....

    --Charles

    Charles Marslett, Oct 6, 2005
  6. correct. MS licensing is based on the number of sockets, not the number of
    actual (or virtual in the case of hyperthreading) cores.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 6, 2005
  7. does this mean an oem version x64 will withstand the upgrade of a single
    core to dual core without having to buy a new key ?

    thanks

    Arthur Rosene, Dec 23, 2005
  8. Guest

    Rick Guest

    Yes.

    Rick, Dec 23, 2005
  9. correct.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 24, 2005
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I posted this question as a seperate notice, but since you seem to be on
    track, I figured I'd slip it in here.

    Win2K3 EE Server only supports up to 8 processors, but what if I install a
    4-way socket with the new Intel dual-core HTT Xeons? Will the OS report and
    use all 16 logical processors or only 8?

    Also, HP has created these mx2 modules that plug into a single CPU socket
    for their Integrity server line but support 2 Itanium 2 processors each, but
    yet only consume a single motherboard socket. What would be the licenseing
    requirements be for a 4-way of these macro-core modules, 4 per processor
    licenses or 8?

    Thanks.

    Sincerely,

    Anthony Thomas

    Guest, Mar 16, 2006
  11. The first part of this has been answered many times on this board. 4x2core=8
    logical processors, but only 4 are counted against the licensing. If they
    are then hyperthreaded, they will be seen as 16 processors. But still only 4
    counted against the licensing.

    I'm not familiar with the Itanium socketing, so I can't answer that, but it
    should work the same way.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 16, 2006
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I can't believe everyone is that dense; so, it must be that I am not
    explaining myself correctly.

    We are in agreement on the 16 logical processors but only licensing the 4
    "sockets."

    The question is: Win2K3 EE Server only support 8 processors! Will it be
    able to recongnize and use all 16 logical since the OS does not distinguish
    between the two, and it is only at the BIOS level that physical/logical are
    seperated?

    Anthony Thomas

    Guest, Mar 16, 2006
  13. It will support them all. The limitation is purely a licensing limitation.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 16, 2006
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    How many CPU's will Task Manager show in this case (8 physical dual cores)?

    Albie
    --
    ..

    Guest, May 24, 2006
  15. I would expect so. But I don't exactly have the hardware to know. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 24, 2006
  16. Guest

    Admiral Q Guest

    I have 2 dual dual-core Xeon system with hyperthreading, and WinXP/Win2k3
    x64 both show 8 processors, even though there are physically 2 sockets.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

    Google is your friend!
    http://www.google.com

    Admiral Q, May 25, 2006
  17. Guest

    Gary Guest

    I have a Tyan S4881 with 4 dual core Opterion 800 series processors.
    Running Server 2003 R2 Enterprise X64 Edition with 16 Gig of Memory and 8
    SATA Raptor 150 Gig Disk drives.

    It does show 8 processors.

    Gary, May 26, 2006