Multiple connections to single AS2511-RJ tty port

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bbeacham, Dec 9, 2008.

  1. bbeacham

    bbeacham Guest

    At my previous job we used Digi terminal servers. These terminal
    servers allowed multiple connections to the same TTY port. For
    example, you could do this:
    telnet <tem_serv_IP> 2001
    telnet <tem_serv_IP> 2001
    telnet <tem_serv_IP> 2001
    and then have 3 connections to the same port. This was great for
    debugging issues.

    Now I have a new job, and we use Cisco AS2511-RJ terminal servers and
    I cannot get it to accept multiple connections. After going through
    the online manuals I found the ‘session-limit’ command that is used in
    ‘line configuration’ mode. This appeared to be what I needed.
    session-limit session-number - Sets the maximum number of
    simultaneous sessions.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/termserv/configuration/guide/dcdtrmop.html#wp1001125

    However, irrespective of the configured value, I still get a
    ‘connection refused’ for the 2nd attempt to connect to a TTY port
    already in use.

    How do I configure the 2511 to work in this manner?

    Thanks.

    bbeacham, Dec 9, 2008

  2. bbeacham

    bod43 Guest

    Don't know. However I wonder of the session limit
    command might work in the other direction.

    i.e. A single Physical Terminal on a single RS232 port
    might support multiple telnet sessions to remote
    telnet servers with a magic key press to flip between sessions.

    The default seems to be no limit set anyway.

    bod43, Dec 10, 2008

  3. bbeacham

    BlueFox Guest

    Yes. That's a shame. The competition has an edge.
    I will try the cobbled method when I get a chance.

    However, I do not remember if the traffic from the serial port goes to
    every telnet connection, or simply the connection that sent the
    command to the serial port. It should not be that hard to keep the
    traffic seperate, or add a 'flood' option to go to all telnet
    connections.

    Thanks for the help.

    BlueFox, Dec 10, 2008