Multichassis Multilink-PPP with leased-lines?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Karsten Fischer, Oct 29, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    has anybody tried to bundle two leased-line on 2 cisco routers with
    multichassis multilink-ppp? At cisco.com multichassis mppp is only
    mentioned regarding dial-in / Access-Server.

    Topology:

    R1
    / \
    / \
    LL1 LL2
    | |
    R2---HSRP---R3

    LAN

    At the moment, the link R3-R1 (LL2) is only used for redundancy, the
    traffic from the LAN is routed via R2-R1. This direction need´s more
    bandwidth...

    Regards,

    Karsten

    Karsten Fischer, Oct 29, 2006

  2. Karsten Fischer

    Thrill5 Guest

    You can use it BUT I would not recommend it. Since the other side of the
    T1's both go to the same router, I would move the LL1 link to R3 and you
    will be able to share both the T1's bandwidth. You loose nothing by doing
    this since your design already has a single point of failure.

    The problem with multi-chassis multi-link PPP is that all the traffic from
    R2 would need to go to R1 (or vice-versa), and it will add quite a bit of
    delay. (This is how Multichassis PPP works) On low-bandwidth connections,
    this is acceptable because adding 10 or 20ms of delay on a link that already
    has 100 to 200ms of serialization delay is not an issue. On a T1 your
    serialization delay is less than 10ms, so adding another 10ms of delay is a
    big deal.

    Scott

    Thrill5, Nov 1, 2006

  3. Hmm. Can you explain this in more detail?
    My understanding of multichassis mlppp is, that the Packets from leased-line
    LL2 (R3-R1) would be tunneled from R3 to R2, so that R2 can distribute the
    packets on the pysical and on this "virtual link". Because the tunnel between
    R2 and R3 is established over Ethernet, there would be no delay...

    Regards,

    Karsten

    Karsten Fischer, Nov 1, 2006