Multi-VLAN on 2950T

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by CJ, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. CJ

    CJ Guest

    Hi,

    I have some Cisco 2950T switches and I wanted to use them to block localised
    broadcast packets like so:

    Ports 1-16 VLAN1
    Ports 17-24 VLAN1 & VLAN2
    Ports G1-2 VLAN2

    The equipment causing broadcast problems are in the first 16 ports. These
    do not need any access outside this switch. PCs on ports 17-24 need access
    to the broadcasting gear and the uplinks (G1 & 2).

    I've found that only the 2900 & 3500 XL series supports Multi-VLAN ports.
    Is there any way I can get this to work?

    I did think of this rather ugly hack:

    Ports 1-16 VLAN1
    Ports 17-23 VLAN2
    Ports 24, G1-2 VLAN3
    Port 17 protected and uplinked to port 16.
    Port 23 protected and uplinked to port 24.

    Thanks - Col :)

    CJ, Mar 9, 2005