    recommendations? Also - if a player is multi format - is it
    automatically a multi region too? And vice versa? Thanks much in
    advance..........

    br2001, Jul 1, 2006

  2. br2001

    Jim Waggener Guest

    check out the Oppo DV971H, a fabulous multi format/multi region upscaling
    player with outstanding reviews

    www.oppodigital.com

    Jim Waggener, Jul 2, 2006

  3. br2001

    jayembee Guest

    Philips 642. Costs about $50 at Target, Wal-Mart, BJ's, and probably
    Costco. Handles most things that you can throw at it. Can be made
    multi-region with a remote command, though it doesn't advertise the
    fact, so you have to find the command at videohelp.com. Converts
    PAL to NTSC correctly. Plays VCD, SVCD, and MPEG-4 formats like
    DivX and XviD. About the only thing it doesn't play are the newer
    MP4 formats.

    There's also a newer model (can't recall the model number) that's
    about $70 that handles the MPEG-4 formats a little better.

    Oh, and the user interface sucks, but for $50, it's a minor quibble.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 6, 2006
  4. br2001

    Mike S. Guest

    DVP-3040 - bare bones
    DVP-5140 - similar to DVP-642, better MPEG; no DTS or optical output (coax
    only)
    DVP-5960 - like DVP-514- but with upscaling, HMDI output, and a front
    panel USB jack for playing JPEG, MP3, MPEG from an external
    USB drive.

    All three now use the MediaTek chipset, which is responsible for the
    improved MPEG4 performance/compatiblity vs the older ESS-based models.

    Mike S., Jul 6, 2006