    "Enhanced for Widescreen TV's"?

    Thank You

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Oct 30, 2004

  2. Rutgar

    Jay G. Guest

    They put the 1.66:1 image within the 16:9 enhanced frame. This causes
    black bars on the side of the image, which is usually lost to overscan. Far
    from being something weird, this is becoming standard practice with 1.66:1
    ratio films on DVD.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Oct 30, 2004

  3. Rutgar

    Rutgar Guest

    My DVD player already does this for 4:3 material. So is 1.66:1 the
    OAR of Mulan?

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Oct 30, 2004
  4. Rutgar

    Jay G. Guest

    I'm not sure if it's the aspect ratio that the film was originally
    exhibited in, but it is the ratio the film was originally animated in.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Oct 30, 2004
  5. Rutgar

    Film Buff Guest

    I Took a look at my old original "Mulan" (Single disc) and the aspect ratio is 1.85:1 Widescreen
    and 1.33:1 Full screen

    IS DISNEY CHANGING THE ASPECT RATIO FOR "FAMILY FRIENDLY"?????

    WHAT IS GOING ON?????

    HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THIS???

    Film Buff, Oct 30, 2004
  6. Rutgar

    Jay G. Guest

    Yes:
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12897

    The aspect ratio the film was animated in was 1.66:1. That aspect ratio
    was cropped to 1.85:1 for the original theatrical exhibition. So what you
    see on the new DVD is the complete animated frame.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Oct 30, 2004
  7. Rutgar

    Shinner Guest

    Does the same apply to Aladdin? I seem to remember 1.66:1 on that recent
    release too.

    Shinner, Oct 30, 2004
  8. Rutgar

    Richard C. Guest

    =========================
    It means that it is a 1.66:1 movie enhanced for 16:9 sets. i.e. it is
    anamorphic.
    That is the ONLY way to properly present any movie wider than 1.33:1 on a WS
    set.

    MGM (and others) has been releasing 1.66:1 movies in NON-anamorphic and they
    are an abomination. I refuse to buy any of them.

    They are totally windowboxed and there is no way to zoom without cropping.

    Disney is doing precisely the right thing.

    Richard C., Oct 30, 2004
  9. Rutgar

    Jay G. Guest

    A lot of Disney's animated films are animated in a 1.66:1 aspect ratio. I
    don't know when they started doing this, but I think Aladdin would be
    included as well.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Oct 30, 2004
  10. The CAV Laserdisc is also at 1.66:1.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Oct 31, 2004
  11. Rutgar

    Rutgar Guest

    Okay, I just got through watching Mulan. I see what you mean now.
    Since it's anamorphic, it fills my entire 16x9 screen. After
    checking through some other titles, I noticed that several of them are
    1.66:1 anamorphic as well (such as Treasure Planet). I have "Barry
    Lyndon", which is also 1.66:1. However, it's not anamorphic. I put
    it in to compare; Since my DVD player compensates it's progressive
    scan output to display 4:3 material correctly (while maintaining
    progressive scan), it shows a non-enhanced 1.66:1 picture, such as
    Barry Lyndon, with black bars on all four sides of the picture.

    Now I'm pissed that Barry Lyndon isn't enhanced as well (LOL)!

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Oct 31, 2004
  12. Rutgar

    Bur Guest

    This picture should just about fill the 16x9 screen and be 'family
    friendly' by not showing the extreme ugly large black bars that a
    2.35:1 on a standard 1.33:1 display shows. There will be small black
    bars, of course, but 40% of the display won't be wasted.

    Bur, Oct 31, 2004
  13. Rutgar

    dvdguy2 Guest

    wrote: The aspect ratio the film was animated in was 1.66:1. That aspect
    ratio was cropped to 1.85:1 for the original theatrical exhibition. So
    what you see on the new DVD is the complete animated frame.

    but almost everyone in this newsgroup said that movies are never made in
    a different ratio than what they are shown as at the theatres. that
    movies are never intentionally made in a different ratio than the ratio
    they know will be shown in the theatres.

    so it now looks like almost everyone in this newsgroup was completely
    wrong.

    and that films are indeed made for the theatres in a different aspect
    ratio than what the makers of the films know will be the aspect atio
    it's originally shown in at theatres.

    dvdguy2, Nov 1, 2004
  14. Rutgar

    jayembee Guest

    newsgroup" said any such thing. For one thing, just about every
    matted (1.66:1, 1.78:1, or 1.85:1) live-action film is shot full-frame
    and projected at the wider, intended ratio. It's been that way for the
    past 50 years. And "almost everyone in this newsgroup" damn well
    knows that.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Nov 1, 2004
  15. Rutgar

    ChrisK Guest

    Have a look at:

    http://www.ultimatedisney.com/oar.htm

    This explains that the CAPS system used by recent Disney films has a native
    AR of 1.66:1 and so if the film is cropped to 1.85:1, then you are actually
    losing a little off the top and bottom of the frame...

    ChrisK, Nov 2, 2004
  16. Rutgar

    Rutgar Guest

    That's fine with me. Better than having a tiny picture inside a huge,
    big black box. They should crop all 1.66:1 films to an anamorphic
    1.85:1 in my opinion.

    - Rutger

    Rutgar, Nov 2, 2004
  17. Rutgar

    Richard C. Guest

    =========================
    But that is not what they did.
    It is still 1.66:1 and is anamorphic.

    Richard C., Nov 3, 2004
  18. Rutgar

    Rutgar Guest

    Not on the DVD. The anamorphic picture is cropped to 1.85.1.

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Nov 3, 2004
  19. Rutgar

    jayembee Guest

    Not on the DVD. I just checked it right this instant. ALADDIN (and
    MULAN -- I checked that, too) is anamorphically-enhanced 1.66:1.

    If it was 1.85:1, there'd be slight black bars on the top and bottom.
    But on ALADDIN, they're on the sides. Which tells you that the image
    isn't as wide as the widescreen TV frame (1.78:1).

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Nov 4, 2004
  20. Rutgar

    Rutgar Guest

    Hmm, I'll have to double check. I have a Front Projector, and I
    didn't notice any black bars on the sides. But it's possible that
    they're so small, that they're lost on the shadow masking of the sides
    of the screen.

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Nov 4, 2004