msvcrt.dll???????

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Loz, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. Loz

    Loz Guest

    OS= W98 SE, BROWSER = IE6.

    The other day I installed software so I could play around with the pictures
    of my Nikon coolpix 3200 on my PC. My browser keeps on crashing now and I
    belive that the file "msvcrt.dll" is screwing things up........

    This is the message....

    "IE has encountered a problem and needs to close"

    "App name ieplore.exe App ver 6.0.2800.1106 Mod name msvcrt.dll Mod ver
    6.1.8293.0 offset 000154a7"

    Whats going on?????????

    OS is Windows 98 SE, browser is IE6. Windows update is used and everything
    is up to date. I'm using Norton AV, up to date virus defn, and did a full
    system scan yesterday evening which found no viruses.

    Up until yesterday morning everything on my PC appeared to stable and
    working ok.

    I've just got a Nikon 3200 Coolpix digital camera and yesterday morning
    installed the associated software on my PC. The installed software was Nikon
    View, Panorama maker and Quick Time 5 (I've been to the Apple site and
    updated this to version 6.5.1). Installation went fine and I was able to
    transfer images from the camera to my PC ok.

    Since then my IE6 has become very unstable whilst browsing and on certain
    sites such as www.play.com it always crashes. I am getting the same error
    message everytime it crashes....

    "Microsoft IE has encountered a problem and needs to close....."

    The error report/error signature is -

    App name - iexplore.exe App ver - 6.0.2800.1106
    Mod name - msvcrt.dll Mod ver - 6.1.8293.0 Offset -
    000154a7

    If I report the error to Microsoft I dont get any info regarding the error
    from them.

    Anyone got any ideas whats going on/how to fix my browser?

    Thanks

    Lawrence

    Loz, Sep 16, 2004

  2. Loz

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Loz

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Best guess is msvcrt.dll which is a common Dll used by applications on
    the computer has been overlaid by a version of msvcrt.dll that IE is not
    compatible with. This may be due to the version that replaced the one
    that IE was using is an older version and some functionality that IE is
    expecting is missing. This can happen when software is being installed by
    a 3rd party vendor who supplies everything it needs to make a software
    work, which can break other applications if installed in the System32 (a
    common directory - everyone goes there looking for things) and is an
    outdated version of a program component.

    It is known as Dll Hell. As more and more vendors start using the Net.
    Technology to create applications, this will not happen anymore as dll(s)
    are kept private to an application that needs it and no dll(s) will not
    use or have paths set in the Registry.

    What you may need to do is put back the dll that IE likes. You can go to
    someone who as the same O/S and compare version numbers date and time
    with msvcrt.dll in System32 and you can copy that dll and replace the one
    on your machine to see if it works with IE. But here comes the DLL Hell
    part, the other application that installed its version may not work.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 16, 2004
  4. Loz

    John Fieck Guest

    Windows 98
    1.. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2.. In the Open box, type SFC, and then click OK.
    3.. In the System File Checker dialog box that appears, click Extract one
    file from installation disk.
    4.. In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type
    Msvcrt.dll, and then click Start.
    5.. In the Restore from box, browse to your Windows 98 installation CD.

    NOTE: If you have an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installation of
    Windows 98, the Windows installation files may be stored in the following
    location:
    C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

    6.. In the Save file in box, type C:\, and then click OK. You receive the
    following message:
    Extract File

    The file has been successfully extracted.

    Click OK.
    7.. Repeat steps 3 through 6 but substitute Msvcirt.dll for Msvcrt.dll.
    8.. Quit System File Checker, and then restart the computer in MS-DOS
    mode.
    9.. At the command prompt, type Rename C:\Windows\System\Msvcrt.dll
    Msvcrt.old, and then press ENTER.
    10.. Type Rename C:\Windows\System\Msvcirt.dll Msvcirt.old, and then press
    ENTER.
    11.. Type Copy C:\Msvcrt.dll C:\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
    12.. Type Copy C:\Msvcirt.dll C:\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
    13.. Restart the computer.

    John Fieck, Sep 16, 2004
  5. Loz

    juanpenaz