    Is it possible to allow all traffic. I know the issues aroudn this , but he
    wants to allow all traffic. I cant find an option in the router for this.

    Alternatively , how do I configure this router to allow msn messenger.

    Big Brian, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Big Brian

    Rob Morley Guest

    DG834G? DI804?
    If he only needs access from one machine stick it in the DMZ.
    I just found this http://portforward.com/ which looks pretty useful.

    Rob Morley, Oct 15, 2005

  3. I assume that's a typo and the device is a DG834G per the Subject.
    In Firewall Rules, Inbound Services: Add:

    Services: All
    Action: ALLOW always
    Send to LAN Server: [you need a LAN address here - see below *]
    WAN Users: Any
    Log: Never

    * As noted, you need to use a fixed LAN address for the host. You can
    leave DHCP working on the router, but choose one address in the LAN range
    for the host, say 192.168.0.10, and then also put the same value in the
    above router filter.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Oct 15, 2005
  4. Big Brian

    Steve Birch Guest

    I'm using MSN messenger on the same router with no special port forwarding
    arrangements. It works fine, even the voice stuff.
    Are you using UPNP, or not, I wonder ?
    If UPNP is switched ON then it will automatically sort out port forwarding
    for many programs.
    I do appreciate that some people have concerns about the security aspects of
    UPNP.

    - Steve

    Steve Birch, Oct 16, 2005
  5. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    yep upnp is switched on

    do you assign your own ip address`s

    Big Brian, Oct 16, 2005
  6. Big Brian

    [ste parker] Guest

    Are you sure? I use Trillian with an MSN plugin and have no problems
    with my DG834G and I didn't set up any port forwarding. Perhaps a
    software firewall is stopping traffic? DMZ is the option you want (set
    it to the IP of the PC you want all traffic forwarding to), but make
    sure you have a software firewall in place first if you do this.

    [ste parker], Oct 16, 2005
  7. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    Im All confused.

    ADSL line plugs into router. Desktop connects via ethernet,laptop via
    wireless

    Neither cna use MSN but both can access the net.

    Whats DMZ

    Big Brian, Oct 16, 2005
  8. Big Brian

    Tim.. Guest

    I too use MSN through the DG834G- with all defaults- i.e. from the box..

    I specify my own IP's for each PC, but with DCHP doing its stuff, MSN just
    worked with no problems.

    I have Zone Alarm Free firewall which during set up i ticked the 'always
    allow' when a window popped up the first time i signed in through msn.

    Tim..

    Tim.., Oct 16, 2005
  9. Big Brian

    [ste parker] Guest

    A DMZ is a demilitarised zone, believe it or not. In the DG834G router
    setup you can assign one IP address to be a DMZ, but if you're not sure
    what you're doing then I can't recommend it.

    Anyway, you shouldn't need to - I just downloaded and installed MSN 7.5
    and I can sign in fine without having to do anything to the router. Are
    you sure there is no firewall on the PC which is blocking MSN?

    [ste parker], Oct 16, 2005
  10. Big Brian

    Conor Guest

    In basic terms, a direct connection to the internet. Somewhere you DO
    NOT want your computer to be without a firewall turned on as you lose
    the protection the router offers.

    Conor, Oct 16, 2005
  11. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    There is absolutely no firewall

    I will go through it all again tomorrow

    delete all rules

    and start again

    Big Brian, Oct 16, 2005
  12. How are you configuring a DG834G to have absolutely no firewall? The
    DG834G arrives off the shelf with all Inbound Services already blocked.
    To have no firewall you need to create a Firewall Rule which allows all
    Inbound Services to reach the LAN address of your host. Did you do that?

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Oct 16, 2005
  13. Big Brian

    [ste parker] Guest

    Why on earth would he want to do that? The firewall that absolutely
    isn't there is, I believe, a software firewall, and you don't need to
    open ports on the DG834G to get MSN working.

    [ste parker], Oct 17, 2005
  14. I never intended to suggest that he would want to do it and I have never
    used this messenger. He claimed that he had no firewall and I am telling
    him that he certainly does have one unless he takes steps to remove it.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Oct 17, 2005
  15. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    Ye I did that

    I just think something is screwed , as I have fitte dthis box several times
    and it worked straight from the box (once adsl username ahd been put in

    I guess I need to go through the whole thing again. Seems strange that all
    programs work ok , Can uploa dto my FTP , Internet and email but a couple of
    onlien games and msn wont work.

    Big Brian, Oct 17, 2005
  16. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    Ok

    Spent a while looking at everything.

    Turns out , that for som ebizarre reason , the messenger service was loading
    in a stopped state

    yet , messenger would still work through a standard ADSL USB Modem , it
    wouldnt through the router.

    I enabled the service , and it now connects via router

    Can anyone explain this oddity

    Big Brian, Oct 17, 2005
  17. Big Brian

    Tiny Tim Guest

    AFAIK the Messenger service has nothing whatsoever to do with either
    Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger.

    It is a service for network admins to broadcast messages to a wide
    range of PCs at once, such as "Server down for maintenance at 17:00"
    etc.. It is also used by scammers to try to pop up a message warning
    of your poor security and offering to sell you a solution. For a home
    user there is little/no reason to have it enabled at all.

    Both Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger work fine through my DG834G
    and always have done. My Messenger service is disabled.

    To save on your shopping click here - http://www.rpoints.com/?ruid=44653
    To sign up with PlusNet click here - http://tinyurl.com/b9wqs

    Tiny Tim, Oct 17, 2005
  18. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    Well I tried everything today. Latest firmware. Reset box , but just wouldnt
    work

    So was clutching at straws, see thi service disabled and tried to start it
    and voila , it worked.

    Guess its another quirk

    Big Brian, Oct 17, 2005