    1.8 Ghz Celeron
    256 mg ram
    Xp home (sp2)

    Robin Halligan, Apr 23, 2006

  2. Robin Halligan

    Shane Guest

    Oh shit
    If you cant go back and undo everything you did, to a point where its good
    again.. your best bet is backup all your data and reinstall

    Shane, Apr 23, 2006

  3. Robin Halligan

    Magic Marker Guest

    Try uninstalling MSN Messenger, re-downloading it from
    http://messenger.msn.com and then re-installing. With a little luck that
    process might undo the registry snafu. Another idea is to pop up the Task
    Manager by hitting Alt-Ctrl-Del and then select the Processes tab. Then
    launch MSN and see what's slowing the system to a crawl by clicking on the
    column headings to sort by RAM and CPU usage. You'll find a process or app
    which is either hogging all the CPU or all the RAM. If you can post back
    here and let us know which process it is we can probably find a fix for you

    Magic Marker, Apr 23, 2006
  4. Robin Halligan

    Rebel Lion Guest

    Try rolling back if that is not possible then you could try and see if
    amsn will work granted its not the featurefull read bloatware of msn
    messenger but it does work well..
    http://amsn.sourceforge.net

    Rebel Lion, Apr 23, 2006
  5. tried that unfortunately it didn¢t help
    I also tried to roll back and that didn¢t help.
    Ok tried that the only thing that changed was smc.exe
    went from a cpu of 02 to 76

    I don't want to have to reload but if that is the only option i will do it.
    thanks for the response people.

    --
    Richie: Now Eddie, crackers?
    Eddie: Yes. But it's never stopped me so far.

    Robin Halligan, Apr 23, 2006
  6. Robin Halligan

    Magic Marker Guest

    Looks like you might be using the Sygate firewall and might have screwed it
    up during the registry cleanup. Are you able to re-install it ?

    http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/smc.exe.html

    Magic Marker, Apr 23, 2006
  7. Robin Halligan

    Enkidu Guest

    What 'Magic Cracker' says. Though Sygate Personal Firewall has been
    taken over by Symantec, so I hope you kept the install file....

    When you get the slowdown, you could try killing smc.exe from the Task
    Manager. If everything comes to life, you know the cause of the problem.

    If all else fails you could try a 'repair' of the OS from the install
    disk. Of course if you have one of those machines with a vendor supplied
    'recovery' disk you won't be able to repair your OS and if you 'recover'
    the system you will lose everything. So don't do that!

    I would not advise, under any circumstances "following some instructions
    in a computer mag". There's way too many things that can go wrong, and
    some sets of instructions looked downright dangerous! As you have found,
    using these 'speed up' instructions can make the machine perform worse.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 23, 2006
  8. Ok tried that works good now i killed the firewall, and as in am running
    through ICS through my wifes puter and she is running a fire wall (same
    one) i can use that (till 05/05 when i get broardband) and i have the
    firewall on a magazine disc so i can install it again.

    Thanks for everyones comments and help (I love this group).

    Robin Halligan, Apr 24, 2006