    1Angel Guest

    Can someone help me to get rid of this msmsgs.exe I have tried and I
    can't get rid of it. The damn thing just keeps coming back.

    1Angel, Oct 31, 2005

  2. That would be MSN Messenger.
    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Oct 31, 2005

  3. 1Angel

    bigjon Guest

    Secret Squiddle decided to add:
    Oh dear...
    MSN is normally msnmsgr.exe.....
    and you will see it running in the taskbar.

    The msmsgs.exe file is often, but not always, located in the
    c:\windows\System32 folder.
    In most cases it is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm.

    To disable it for good go to
    RUN and enter this command:
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    Virus with same name:
    W32.HLLW.Spirit - Symantec Corporation
    W32.Alcarys.B - Symantec Corporation
    W32.Alcarys.G - Symantec Corporation

    bigjon, Oct 31, 2005
  4. 1Angel

    Dave Lear Guest

    Whether the file is legitimate or not pretty much depends on where the file
    is held. As you say, if it's in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ then that's indicative
    of a virus infection as that's not the correct location for the valid file.

    However, if the file is found in
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
    then that's perfectly reasonable as it's the main executable for Windows
    Messenger. Windows XP comes with Windows Messenger already built into the
    Operating System and, as a result, it is a protected system component so
    will be repaired if removed. Of course, most home users download MSN
    Messenger because it has flashier graphics and silly add-ons but Windows
    Messenger stays put behind the scenes (and happens to be a more stable
    application as it's intended for corporate use in Microsoft Exchange
    estates).

    Dave Lear, Oct 31, 2005
  5. 1Angel

    dwacôn Guest

    Have you a good antivirus /slash/ antispywere on your PC?

    dwacôn, Nov 2, 2005
  6. 1Angel

    ellis_jay Guest

    It may be legit, it may be a virus, depending on location as another poster
    said. The size in kb might be pertinent, too, in determining legitimacy or
    something bad. It is safe to disable.

    http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/msmsgs/index.php

    hardball here:
    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...ers.com/bb/ftopic127617.html+msmsgs.exe&hl=en